Boys Knives Through the Years

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
LongBlade

Re: Boys Knives Through the Years

Post by LongBlade »

Nice Ulster Dimitri ::tu:: .. love those classic single blade boys knives ::nod:: ... in fact that pattern is my EDC - it is an easy carry & does all I need :D ...
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Thanks Lee :D

I have one of those Imperial shell handle boys knives, I'll have to dig it out ::hmm::
AAPK Janitor
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

Miller Bro's wrote:Nice ones guys ::tu::

Here's another one I have.....
Nice Ulster!! I really like early Ulsters! Well made knives! :)
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

woodwalker wrote:Nice Ulster!! I really like early Ulsters! Well made knives! :)
Thank you! :D
AAPK Janitor
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Another addition - a Robeson Boys Knife with bail that I purchased from KJ a few months back - thanks Roland ::handshake:: - Stamps indicate 1917-1939 time frame... Excellent++ condition with full blades - interestingly unlike many Robeson knives there was no model # as a pile side stamp - handles appear to be black composition with faux jigging but in feel they appear to be more rubber-like in texture... something abit different from my usual makers focus but in Boys Knives I sometimes step outside my box and for good reason ::nod:: ... (PS - Hope the photo does it justice as I had to use my iPhone camera and without the use of my light box - so abit of an experiment for my temporary situation so I can try and continue to contribute)...
Robeson Boys Knife Blades Open A1 8285.jpg

Post by woodwalker »

LongBlade wrote:Another addition - a Robeson Boys Knife with bail that I purchased from KJ a few months back - thanks Roland ::handshake:: - Stamps indicate 1917-1939 time frame... Excellent++ condition with full blades - interestingly like many Robeson knives there was no model # as a pile side stamp - handles appear to be black composition with faux jigging but in feel they appear to be more rubber-like in texture... something abit different from my usual makers focus but in Boys Knives I sometimes step outside my box and for good reason ::nod:: ... (PS - Hope the photo does it justice as I had to use my iPhone camera and without the use of my light box - so abit of an experiment for my temporary situation so I can try and continue to contribute)...

Robeson Boys Knife Blades Open A1 8285.jpg
Very nice Lee!! A good Ole Robeson!! Congratts! :)
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks woodwalker ::tu:: ::tu:: ....

Post by wlf »

Great boys knife Lee. Beauty
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

wlf wrote:Great boys knife Lee. Beauty
Thanks Lyle ::tu:: ::tu:: ... as an aside Lyle - given your note about collecting FJs on another thread I should mention I don’t collect Boys Knives ::paranoid:: :D ... as you say I’m grin’in :wink:

Post by ludwig26 »

Nice Ulster Miller Bro's. I bought one just like it from another member today but it is set up for a bail, however the bail itself is missing. Much like the Schrade I am posting a pick of. These are two I got in the last few days. A Schrade cut and a Shapleigh.
Kerry
Attachments
IMG_3476.jpg
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Thanks Kerry, does yours look like this one? It has a removable bail.
Attachments
1_zps203749b7.jpg
AAPK Janitor
ludwig26

Post by ludwig26 »

Miller Bro's wrote:Thanks Kerry, does yours look like this one? It has a removable bail.
No Sir, It looks just like the other one you had posted. No shield and wood scales.
Kerry
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Nice knives Kerry and Dimitri ::tu:: ... Really like that Schrade with bone Kerry... and that Ulster is quite nice with a cool shield Dimitri - looks like black composition handles is my guess - too slick for ebony??....

Post by ludwig26 »

LongBlade wrote:Nice knives Kerry and Dimitri ::tu:: ... Really like that Schrade with bone Kerry... and that Ulster is quite nice with a cool shield Dimitri - looks like black composition handles is my guess - too slick for ebony??....
Thanks Longblade, I wish the Schrade wasn't missing the bail. Other than that its nice and tight with good snap both ways and no chips or cracks.
Kerry
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Kerry - Still a nice knife - maybe you can find a bail for it sometime on a parts knife... Interestingly I have the same Shapleigh posted earlier somewhere in this thread - the folded liner in that Shapleigh was a Schrade patent design ::nod:: ...

Post by ludwig26 »

LongBlade wrote:Kerry - Still a nice knife - maybe you can find a bail for it sometime on a parts knife... Interestingly I have the same Shapleigh posted earlier somewhere in this thread - the folded liner in that Shapleigh was a Schrade patent design ::nod:: ...
I picked up one of the George Schrades a few months back. Here’s a bad picture of it.
Kerry
Attachments
814AEEBC-1B42-404D-92E7-8EF2020A182A.jpeg
ludwig26

Post by ludwig26 »

Got this one on the cheap. I’ve got several but this one has what I assume to be the original chain.
Does anybody know how many finished these came in. I’ve got several black ones. This one appears to have never been painted.
Attachments
4F1FF3E0-3FFA-4844-BEF1-2323F07474DC.jpeg
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Nice Kerry ::tu:: ::tu:: ... I'm not sure how many different styles of the handle were made in but I have seen it in the colors black and also green. I would assume they also sold it unfinished such as your knife but without it in hand I can't tell if the paint was just completely stripped from your handles and subsequently polished or cleaned. The chain looks original (certainly an old boys knife chain) - and in my opinion the chains can sometimes be harder to find than the knives as many were broken or lost...

Post by ludwig26 »

Thanks Longblade. I would love to have a green one. These boys knives are addictive.
Your right about the chains. In 3 years I’ve only found 2 vintage chains.
Kerry
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks for posting that Charlie - on page 2 of this thread I posted the same Shapleigh with the label that Shapeigh had stamped on many of them (Shapleigh’s Every Boy Guaranteed) - never saw one with an ad though. These were made by Schrade for Shapleigh with the patented Schrade folded liner.

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Go for it, Lee!

I used to see a half dozen of these at just about every knife show I attended. Not so, now. They must have all wandered off into collections.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
ludwig26

Post by ludwig26 »

I guess you would call this a Boys Knife. Nice condition for 5 bucks.
Kerry
Attachments
IMG_3598.jpg
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Really nice Kerry ::tu:: ... no doubt a Boys Knife and a Barlow too!! The Davy Crockett aspect is very cool :lol: ..

Post by ludwig26 »

A few more I added to the pile in the last few weeks. The IXL is 3 1/2" closed so Im not for sure it would be considered a boys knife. Maybe longblade will chime in and tell me if it is.
Kerry
Attachments
IMG_3635.JPG

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”