Boys Knives Through the Years

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
LongBlade

Re: Boys Knives Through the Years

Post by LongBlade »

I'm thinking Alfred & Son Celebrated Cutlery is German as I am finding no info in Sheffield books - the Germans were notorious for using British names (egs, Lord Bros, Wilson Bros etc) and used "celebrated" as well though have no examples off hand to note... there was a time that the Germans were trying to come off as Sheffield made knives to increase sales...
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

First and foremost, I would like to thank you both (Lee "Longblade" & Neal "Mason") for your well written and informative article "The Boys Knife" in the August 2017 issue of "Knife Magazine", I have read it twice and will use it often for future reference. I look forward to your future articles.
The below seven Boys Knives were published in the 1897 Sears, Roebuck Catalog. I have the 1993 reprint. The book is printed in entirety with 786 pages. Many knives within this catalog, but I am only posting the "Boys Knives"
I will post my own two favorite Boys Knives in a later post today here in "Knife Lore"
Attachments
IMG_0014.JPG
IMG_0012.JPG
IMG_0013.JPG
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks Old Folder for the nice comments on the article -much appreciated ::tu:: ::tu:: .... love those catalog cuts and thanks again for sharing them :D .... I look forward to seeing the Boys Knives when you get around to posting them!!
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Here is my first (of two) of my personal best and oldest "Boys Knives"
H.M.S. Pinafore by Frary Cut. Co. (Blade is marked only with "FRARY"). Bridgeport Conn. 1876-1884.
Knife was obviously an EDC. Walk and Talk had departed long ago. Blade is also a little "wobbly" when fully opened. But...for approx 140 years old, not too bad.
Around 1880 Frary Cutlery Co. introduced cast-tin-alloy or pewter handled Boys Knives. Some were souvenirs of the new hit operetts by Gilbert and Sullivan, such as this H.M.S. Pinafore.

The three paragraphs below is the results of my research of my H.M.S. Pinafore knife and the Live-Theatre/Operatic-Play it represented.

"H.M.S. Pinafore; or, The Lass That Loved a Sailor is a comic opera in two acts, with music by Arthur Sullivan and a libretto by W. S. Gilbert. It opened at the Opera Comique in London, on 25 May 1878 and ran for 571 performances, which was the second-longest run of any musical theatre piece up to that time. H.M.S. Pinafore was Gilbert and Sullivan's fourth operatic collaboration and their first international sensation.
The story takes place aboard the ship HMS Pinafore. The captain's daughter, Josephine, is in love with a lower-class sailor, Ralph Rackstraw, although her father intends her to marry Sir Joseph Porter, the First Lord of the Admiralty. She abides by her father's wishes at first, but Sir Joseph's advocacy of the equality of humankind encourages Ralph and Josephine to overturn conventional social order. They declare their love for each other and eventually plan to elope. The captain discovers this plan, but, as in many of the Gilbert and Sullivan operas, a surprise disclosure changes things dramatically near the end of the story.

H.M.S Pinafore became so popular that A children's version was produced in London. Between its two Christmas seasons in London, the children's production went on a provincial tour from 2 August 1880 to 11 December 1880.
The children's production earned enthusiastic reviews from not only the London critics but as well as the audiences, including children.

Pinafore songs and images have been used extensively in advertising. "Pinafore launched the first media blitz in the United States" Pinafore-themed merchandise includes trading cards that were created in the 1880s."

I would imagine that the Frary Knife may have been sold in the lobby after the shows playing? Being that a "Children's Production version" was produced, I can visually observe a young boy leaving the theatre with his parents and seeing a H.M.S. Pinafore pocket knife for sale in the lobby. What loving parent would not pay a few cents to make their child happy. I mean.....the parent(s) have already taken the child/children to the play, right.

The original 1879 H.M.S. Pinafore Poster pictured below (not mine) has a striking resemblance of "Ralph Rackstraw" close to identical on the knife.
The Gilbert and Sullivan opera is still performed internationally. It is currently being performed at the Avon Theatre in Ontario Canada.
My wife and I have never personally been to a live opera, but if H.M.S. Pinafore comes to So. California, we will surely go.
Perhaps "Case" or "Queen Cutlery" will have H.M.S. Pinafore pocket knives for sale in the lobby? (Maybe not) ::shrug::
Attachments
H_m_s_pinafore_restoration.jpg
IMG_0015.JPG
IMG_0007.JPG
IMG_0016.JPG
Dan
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

My second (of two) personal best and oldest "Boys Knives" Is a "George Schrade" Presto Bridgeport Conn. Automatic (switchblade).
c1925-1945
I am not sure if this would fall under the classification of "Boys Knife"? Maybe Lee or Neal will jump in and set the record straight.
If it is a Boys Knife, I would imagine it would be for a "Older Boy"?
It looks like a Boys Knife, it's made like a Boys Knife, so it must be a Boys Knife?
I have read every Boys Knife posting I could find within aapk and have not seen another "Automatic" Boys Knife.
I have had this Schrade for many years. I think I purchased it at the Pomona Ca. Gun and Knife show in the late 80s.
This Schrade was obviously a EDC, it has been well maintained over the years. An integrated steel handle and bolster, steel liners and original bail. (no chain)
A very strong snap open and strong return click locking. The thumb lock is operational in the open and closed position.
The original owner took care of this knife and sharpened it often.
I am honored to be the current caretaker.
Attachments
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG
Dan
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks for posting those really nice knives Dan with that great info ::tu:: ::tu:: The Frary Pinafore is no doubt a classic Boys Knife and believe pre-dated my Frary "Our Boy" knife by a few years... the Boys switchblade is indeed an interesting question.... I am not sure of the correct answer but in my opinion not the classic old Boys Knives we know but indeed when these came around in the mid 1900s I am sure older boys no doubt used these as you note... classic metal shell handle and bail for these knives for sure including size but the "auto" aspect of these would indeed have been something any boy would be showing off in the school yard :shock: :D ::tu:: .... Nonetheless it would be interesting to determine how it was marketed... When one really starts to delve into Boys Knives there was lots of info and much more research one could find and interesting speculation... Most of the article by Neal and myself focused more on the earlier knives and indeed lots more research to do in those 1900 era knives :)
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

You're very welcome Lee.
Thank you for your response and information.
I shall post any future info on the Schrade Auto that I find. ::tu::
Dan
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey Guys, Posting my Frary 2-blade version for the knife lover.
Kindest Regards & Blessings to all,
Mark
Attachments
100_5012.JPG
100_5013.JPG
100_5019.JPG
100_5014.JPG
100_5015.JPG
100_5018.JPG
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Cool knife Mark ::tu:: ::tu:: .... if you look on the first page of this thread I posted the single blade version of that same knife :) ... We have close brothers bro :lol: :lol:

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey Lee, Yes Sir I did notice that,,,You always have a keen eye for smashing antique knives...
Kindest Regards,
Mark
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks Mark for that nice compliment my friend ::tu:: ...

Cheers!
Lee

Post by espn77 »

A Remington R1399. I've questioned some of my other Remington knives whether they were boys knives or not but I'm 92.4% certain this is.
Attachments
20170920_164522.jpg
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Nice knife Keith ::tu:: ... So truth is Joe and I discussed this knife :) ... it actually is a spey/castrating knife - the blade tipped me off to it but Remington sold it is a spey jack to my knowledge.... maybe it was a castrating knife for boys to use based on size ::nod:: :D ...

Post by espn77 »

See. I left the small percentage open for this reason.
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

espn77 wrote:See. I left the small percentage open for this reason.
:lol: :lol: :lol: ... I was wondering how you came up with that percentage :D ::handshake:: ....

Post by DARRELL MAINES »

Here is a rare little boys knife. It is pictured in Goins book. I never thought I would ever see one. Bought a collection out of Florida an it was in it. I was happy to say the least.
Attachments
IMG_1178.JPG
IMG_1179.JPG
DARRELL MAINES

Post by DARRELL MAINES »

Here are a few more for your viewing pleasure
Attachments
IMG_1137.JPG
DARRELL MAINES

Post by DARRELL MAINES »

Here are some more. Hope everyone enjoys them as much as I do
Attachments
IMG_1180.JPG
IMG_1183.JPG
DARRELL MAINES

Post by DARRELL MAINES »

And now the Frary's. That's all for tonight. Got to learn how to rotate my pictures.
Attachments
IMG_1182.JPG
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

What a bunch of great knives on this page. ::tu::

Here's an old Holley, Lakeville, Conn., 3 1/8".
Attachments
DSCN9133.JPG
DSCN9138.JPG
DSCN9143.JPG
DSCN9147.JPG
Joe
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Here's an old Empire. 2 7/8".
Half stops on both blades with matchstrike long pull on the main blade.
Thanks for looking.
Attachments
DSCN9150.JPG
DSCN9151.JPG
DSCN9154.JPG
DSCN9156.JPG
DSCN9158.JPG
Joe
espn77

Post by espn77 »

I like your knife Joe, really shows pretty lines in the wood. ::tu::
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you very much, espn77.
Joe
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Great group of boys knives Darrell ::tu:: ::tu:: ... very cool...

Those are 2 beauties Joe - both the Empire and Holley ::tu:: ::tu:: .... for me the Holley is a great example... maybe someday I will be able to land one :mrgreen: :D ....

Post by KAW »

Yet another fine & informative thread....

Please help me out here.... after reading this thread, I am assuming these two slimmer than usual knives which represent the first examples I acquired of a NYKC and a Walden folding pocket knife are considered "Boys Knives"?

Both were found at flea markets. The NYKC is the two blade one with the faux wood grain celluloid handle. I'm not sure what the black covers on the Walden are, but they do look like plastic, so I guess they, too, are celluloid.

They are in fair condition.... The Walden also has no snap at all to it & is 3" in size closed.
The main blade on the NYKC has a slight wobble & the pen has lost it snap & is a little larger than the Walden.
Attachments
DSCF7484 copy.jpg
'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”