Homage to Traditional Pen Knives

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
bladecollectorr

Re: Homage to Traditional Pen Knives

Post by bladecollectorr »

I too love the little pen knives. Great show of them here! I've posted a lot of these in more detail elsewhere. These are some groups I arranged.

Schrade eye-candy with one NYKC interloper.
scan0001.jpg
gents 01.jpg
gents knives open 1200w.jpg
group 2 x2500 w.jpg
01 MOP and Coke - even crop x2500 w.jpg
A couple Sears Craftsman not in the above mix. First one is an attractive mystery-maker STA-SHARP 9493 @ 2-3/4" closed. The second is a Schrade.
scan0003.jpg
01.jpg
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Nice groups bladecollectorr ::tu:: ::tu:: ... Thanks for sharing them!

Post by TPK »

Great knives bladecollectorr! Especially that last one. ::tu:: ::super_happy::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I picked up this old Utica sleeve board pen for a few bucks recently. The plastic handle material is not the best, but for now I will sharpen it up and EDC it. It may need new scales in the future.
IMG_3452.JPG
IMG_3453.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Bernard Levine has said that the older Utica knives with the arched stamping, like this one, are very well made knives. I like this big sleeveboard pattern.
kj
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

kootenay joe wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:22 am Bernard Levine has said that the older Utica knives with the arched stamping, like this one, are very well made knives. I like this big sleeveboard pattern.
kj
Aside from the cracks in the plastic handle material, this does seem to be a well made knife. Do you know a ballpark date when the arched stamp Uticas were made?
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I think the arched "Utica" ended about 1955. I need to check this. If wrong i will correct it.
kj
TPK

Post by TPK »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:00 am I picked up this old Utica sleeve board pen for a few bucks recently. The plastic handle material is not the best, but for now I will sharpen it up and EDC it. It may need new scales in the future.

IMG_3452.JPG
IMG_3453.JPG
Nice little knife! ::tu:: Looks great! :D

RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

I’ve never seen a Utica knife that wasn’t well made, regardless of the stamp.

Even their most recent products are nice.

Had I known they were located on Noyes Street in Utica, New York, I might have collected them instead of Robesons.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Here's an unusual and rare pen knife - IXL Wostenholm Double Gunstock Pen knife :) - According to Levine's guide it may be the only double gunstock pen ever made (and he shows an example that matches this one exactly except mine has full bolsters) - The only other 2 gunstock pens he notes are the Case Tested XX 87 (?) model and the Remington Orange Blossom (I have a Remington Orange Blossom) -neither of which is a double gunstock... This knife is 3 & 3/4" long... I may have posted this long ago but never posted it here with these new pics ::nod:: ... Yes that is "African Tooth" as a handle material :lol: ... this is another pattern of which I have never seen another... Marked Sheffield England so believe it to be late 1890s - early 1900s...

Mark Side - DSCN3558.jpeg
Pile Side - DSCN3561.jpeg
Blades Open DSCN3343.jpeg
Tang Stamp DSCN3373.jpeg

Post by TPK »

LongBlade wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:14 pm Here's an unusual and rare pen knife - IXL Wostenholm Double Gunstock Pen knife :) - According to Levine's guide it may be the only double gunstock pen ever made (and he shows an example that matches this one exactly except mine has full bolsters) - The only other 2 gunstock pens he notes are the Case Tested XX 87 (?) model and the Remington Orange Blossom (I have a Remington Orange Blossom) -neither of which is a double gunstock... This knife is 3 & 3/4" long... I may have posted this long ago but never posted it here with these new pics ::nod:: ... Yes that is "African Tooth" as a handle material :lol: ... this is another pattern of which I have never seen another... Marked Sheffield England so believe it to be late 1890s - early 1900s...

Really cool knife Lee! Thanks for posting it! ::tu:: :D

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Well LongBlade that is a jewel. Rare in design, hence rare in availability and in a wonderful handle material
That is a wonderful knife to own. ::nod:: ::tu::
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks Tom and doglegg ::handshake:: ::tu::..
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

That is an impressive knife, a real beauty, Lee. Being a relatively new member, I really appreciate you re-posting some of your knives. I have spent countless hours in recents months going through old threads. Many times, I will want to go back and take another look at a knife a couple of days after seeing it, but can't remember exactly where to find it. Unless it has very specific, or unique characteristics to type into the search field, it can be a time consuming chore to find what I am after.
Ike
1fartsmella
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by 1fartsmella »

LongBlade wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:14 pm Here's an unusual and rare pen knife - IXL Wostenholm Double Gunstock Pen knife :) - According to Levine's guide it may be the only double gunstock pen ever made (and he shows an example that matches this one exactly except mine has full bolsters) - The only other 2 gunstock pens he notes are the Case Tested XX 87 (?) model and the Remington Orange Blossom (I have a Remington Orange Blossom) -neither of which is a double gunstock... This knife is 3 & 3/4" long... I may have posted this long ago but never posted it here with these new pics ::nod:: ... Yes that is "African Tooth" as a handle material :lol: ... this is another pattern of which I have never seen another... Marked Sheffield England so believe it to be late 1890s - early 1900s...
Lee, That IXL Double Gun stock is very cool. Did you know New York Knife also made that pattern? I don't have one, but I have seen one at the Mystic show for sale. Here is a scan from the 1908 Biddle Hardware catalog. Thanks for posting.
Just as a point of interest the pearl knife to the right of the Gun stock is the most expensive knife in the catalog at $48.00 per dozen wholesale.
Attachments
BIDDLE PG 965.jpg
Barry
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Waukonda wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:18 am That is an impressive knife, a real beauty, Lee. Being a relatively new member, I really appreciate you re-posting some of your knives. I have spent countless hours in recents months going through old threads. Many times, I will want to go back and take another look at a knife a couple of days after seeing it, but can't remember exactly where to find it. Unless it has very specific, or unique characteristics to type into the search field, it can be a time consuming chore to find what I am after.
Thanks Ike ::handshake:: ::tu:: ... It's always my pleasure to share my knives - and as this site developed there always seems to be a few threads where a knife will fit so I like to do it for archival purposes and over time as you noted it is easier to find knives of interest ::nod:: ..
1fartsmella wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:35 am
Lee, That IXL Double Gun stock is very cool. Did you know New York Knife also made that pattern? I don't have one, but I have seen one at the Mystic show for sale. Here is a scan from the 1908 Biddle Hardware catalog. Thanks for posting.
Just as a point of interest the pearl knife to the right of the Gun stock is the most expensive knife in the catalog at $48.00 per dozen wholesale.
Thanks Barry ::tu:: ::tu:: - I never knew NYK made a Double Gunstock - very cool and thanks very much for sharing the info ::handshake:: ... I was only going by Levine's notes about gunstock patterns and pen knives - but this wouldn't be the first time I have seen an addition or correction to Levine :D ... Thanks again !!
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I picked up this Landers, Frary, & Clark tip bolster pen at a gunshow over the week end for a couple of bucks. It is 3 1/4" overall with black composition handle material that has a few cracks, but otherwise in good shape. The "Universal" blade etch is still visible too. The pile side of the master is stamped U02275
IMG_3502.JPG
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Some very beautiful nice everyone! I don’t carry small knives but I love collecting them. Here are three different E.C. Simmons Keen Kutters..the first one I recently traded...I posted these on another sub forum but I figured I would post them here also..I Have several other pen knives l’ll post next time I open the safe …
Attachments
A278255C-2701-42B4-88B9-8B948861EE43.jpeg
91325332-91AE-4C17-9357-4C71FE8E2217.jpeg
A5C5557F-786D-41EC-900A-C797BE0B30D3.jpeg
Ryan

“That’ll be the day”—-John Wayne
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

A few more..

From top to bottom;

-Argyle Cutlery
Germany
-Savoy Cutlery
Germany
-Saxon Cutlery
Germany
-Sheffield
-E.C. Simmons
Keen Kutter
- A.W.
Wadsworth
&Son
Germany
-Imperial
Stainless
U.S.A.
Attachments
654FED46-293B-4322-9284-44F0E2280CC5.jpeg
1345E9F1-E25B-46D3-AB0A-601104F66FDC.jpeg
Ryan

Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Ryan

TPK

Post by TPK »

Stanwade wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:55 am A few more..

From top to bottom;

-Argyle Cutlery
Germany
-Savoy Cutlery
Germany
-Saxon Cutlery
Germany
-Sheffield
-E.C. Simmons
Keen Kutter
- A.W.
Wadsworth
&Son
Germany
-Imperial
Stainless
U.S.A.

Great looking knives! ::tu:: Very nice! ::super_happy::

This one showed up at my house today.

Carl Rader Solingen, MOP, Crest Shield. It's in great condition. It's snappy and has a nice F&F. Took a few pictures, threw some baby oil on it and placed it in my show case. Hope you enjoy the pictures & Thanks for looking. ::handshake::
Attachments
P_20200312_173224.jpg
P_20200312_172207_1.jpg
P_20200312_172813_1.jpg
P_20200312_172958_1.jpg
P_20200312_172234_1.jpg

New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

VERY nice "pen"manship guys. ::tu::
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Tom— thanks my friend and sweet pick up!🤝

Skip— thanks my friend!🤝
Ryan

TPK

Post by TPK »

Thanks for the comments Skip & Ryan! :D

I have a story to tell about my new MOP pen knife. It was sent in a small zip-lock bag inbetween two pieces of cardboard. If you look at these two pictures, you'll see the seller's picture first, then my picture. See the difference? One handle got cracked in the mail. ::td:: I was pretty sad about it. :(

Anyways, me being me, way too nice. Yes sometimes, even boarderline stupid. ::dang:: I still gave him a posative rating and then I wrote him an Email and I told him I wasn't writing to bitch or complain, just wanted him to know he needed to wrap some bubble wrap around his knives because mine had gotten broken in the mail but that I still gave him a posative rating. ::handshake::

He wrote back. ::hmm::

He said Thanks for being so nice, I have some more just like it, I'll send you a new one free of charge on monday. ::woot:: ::groove::

Once in a while, being way too nice does pay off. ::tu:: :D Not always, but sometimes. ::tu:: ::ds::
Attachments
s-l1600-219.jpg
P_20200312_172234_1.jpg

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Hey Tom, that is some great news ::tu:: . And ole "cracky" is still a beautiful knife :D .
Yes, being nice has paid off, for me, many times over ::super_happy:: , not always, but most of the time ::tu:: .
Willy :D
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”