Homage to Traditional Pen Knives

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Homage to Traditional Pen Knives

Post by gsmith7158 »

LongBlade wrote:Nice knives Greg ::tu:: ::tu:: .. nothing like a pair of Empires and a Remington :D ... The Hayward on the shield on the wharncliffe is very cool 8) .. anyway Hayward seems to be a name from the old cutlery industry that seems familiar.. I have the same MOP Empire wharncliffe posted on page 1 of the Wharncliffe thread ::nod::
Thanks Lee! The Hayward Jewlery Co. was a large player in covering skeletons produced by Knife companies it actually started just a couple of years before Empire went into business. Here is some history on them.
THE WALTER E. HAYWARD COMPANY F. G. Whitney and E. W. Davenport formed the firm of F. G. Whitney & Company in 1849, and operated for half a century in the inexpensive jewelry field of production, building up a big foreign business. In 1851, Thompson, Hayward & Co. began business and four years later the name was changed to Hayward & Briggs. In 1859 the original plant was burned and a new concern, C. E. Hayward & Company rebuilt. This designation continued until 1886 when the firm became known as Hayward & Sweet, and in 1891 it was incorporated as the Walter E. Hayward Company. Frank E. Smith is president, Elmer S. Smith, vice president, Walter G. Moon, secretary, and Frank J. Ryder, treasurer of the concern. For many years this company manufactured only 18-carat gold products and it soon became the most important jewelry unit in the east part of Attleboro. Today it carries on an extensive foreign business in Canada, the Philippines, South America, China and Japan. Gold front and plated jewelry constitute the present-day products, upwards of 100 hands being employed. The concern is capitalized for $300,000.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

gsmith7158 wrote:
LongBlade wrote:Nice knives Greg ::tu:: ::tu:: .. nothing like a pair of Empires and a Remington :D ... The Hayward on the shield on the wharncliffe is very cool 8) .. anyway Hayward seems to be a name from the old cutlery industry that seems familiar.. I have the same MOP Empire wharncliffe posted on page 1 of the Wharncliffe thread ::nod::
Thanks Lee! The Hayward Jewlery Co. was a large player in covering skeletons produced by Knife companies it actually started just a couple of years before Empire went into business. Here is some history on them.
THE WALTER E. HAYWARD COMPANY F. G. Whitney and E. W. Davenport formed the firm of F. G. Whitney & Company in 1849, and operated for half a century in the inexpensive jewelry field of production, building up a big foreign business. In 1851, Thompson, Hayward & Co. began business and four years later the name was changed to Hayward & Briggs. In 1859 the original plant was burned and a new concern, C. E. Hayward & Company rebuilt. This designation continued until 1886 when the firm became known as Hayward & Sweet, and in 1891 it was incorporated as the Walter E. Hayward Company. Frank E. Smith is president, Elmer S. Smith, vice president, Walter G. Moon, secretary, and Frank J. Ryder, treasurer of the concern. For many years this company manufactured only 18-carat gold products and it soon became the most important jewelry unit in the east part of Attleboro. Today it carries on an extensive foreign business in Canada, the Philippines, South America, China and Japan. Gold front and plated jewelry constitute the present-day products, upwards of 100 hands being employed. The concern is capitalized for $300,000.
Thanks Greg ::tu:: ::tu:: - Thanks for posting that background on Hayward ::handshake:: ... It actually may be the company which did aluminum bolster and skeleton knife engraving for many cutleries and the sterling silver skeleton covers 8)

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Years ago< I bought a Hayward stamped four blade gent's or lady's knife with embossed/engraved nickel-silver (I think) handles applied.

There was an oval cartouche in the center of the front handle that had the initials, "B.L.N." nicely engraved in a fancy script.

I didn't know Hayward from Shinola, but "B.L.N." were my sister's initials.

I bought the knife for her.

She still has it.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

I've seen quite a few 18 kt. Gentleman's knives that were made for fraternal organizations done by Hayward. They were bought in 1977 by The Allison Reed Co. and are still in business in Providence, RI.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

A penknife with Art Nouveau style Sterling silver scales made by Vom Cleff of Solingen early 1900s.
Attachments
VC-1.jpg
VC-2.jpg
VC-3.jpg
Rust Never Sleeps
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Just went through this thread again. Some real stunners have been posted here. Thanks Lee for getting it rolling. Here is one of mine to contribute.
C1CC1588-90C5-4FC5-9CB1-67ED2F01FA7C.jpeg
EE38E723-DD1C-4004-ABA3-B4D19E342EB6.jpeg
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

JAMESC41001 wrote:Just went through this thread again. Some real stunners have been posted here. Thanks Lee for getting it rolling. Here is one of mine to contribute. C1CC1588-90C5-4FC5-9CB1-67ED2F01FA7C.jpegEE38E723-DD1C-4004-ABA3-B4D19E342EB6.jpeg
Very Very Nice ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Nice Jay ::tu:: ::tu:: ...

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Thanks guys s. The quality of knives be shown here in this thread and aapk in general is pretty impressive. The background information and the knowledge being shared is amazing.
rugmar

Post by rugmar »

Here's a picture of an even ten.
4 Case pens flanked on the left by a Utica, an Ulster and a Sheffield England and on the right by two Catts and a super old Art Knife company, Nicholson PA. with girls on the sides.
Attachments
IMG_0171.jpg
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

A couple of different 1940-64 case pen knives I found at local places, in 2015. I really like the little copperhead.
IMG_0154.JPG
IMG_0185.JPG
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Rugmer - Lots of cool additions to the thread ::tu:: ::tu:: ..

Paul - Case pen knives no doubt have some charm ::tu:: ::tu:: ...

Post by smiling-knife »

Nice bone scales on this old Wraggs Sheffield sleeveboard penknife
Attachments
18-06 015.jpg
18-06 048.jpg
18-06 049.jpg
18-06 050.jpg
18-06 050.jpg (294.91 KiB) Viewed 4595 times
Rust Never Sleeps
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

Here is an EC Simmons Keen Kutter that I am quite fond of.
Attachments
20190609_153036.jpg
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

smiling-knife wrote:Nice bone scales on this old Wraggs Sheffield sleeveboard penknife
S-K - One beauty of a bone sleeveboard ::tu:: ::tu:: .. the stamp is very cool 8) and Wragg made some nice knives. I guessing this one is pre1890.... ::tu::

Post by LongBlade »

woodwalker wrote:Here is an EC Simmons Keen Kutter that I am quite fond of.
WW - Very nice old KK pen ::tu:: ::tu:: .. the bone is sweet :) ! I’d be fond of that one as well!

Post by woodwalker »

LongBlade wrote:
WW - Very nice old KK pen ::tu:: ::tu:: .. the bone is sweet :) ! I’d be fond of that one as well!
Thank you Longblade! I was told by Danno that is was probably made by Winchester. Appreciate ya!! :)
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Kevin that's some fabulous bone on that KK! ::tu::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

gsmith7158 wrote:
Thank you Greg!! Picked that and a pearl vintage Winchester up at a local antique shop a few months back. :)
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

gsmith7158 wrote:
Here is the Winchester Pearl pen I got along with KK. :)
Attachments
20190609_200355.jpg
20190609_200433.jpg
20190609_200516.jpg
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

woodwalker wrote:
gsmith7158 wrote:
Another excellent pen knife Woodwalker. You ought to be about ready for a third display case by now. :D
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

gsmith7158 wrote:
woodwalker wrote:
gsmith7158 wrote: Kevin that's some fabulous bone on that KK! ::tu::
Another excellent pen knife Woodwalker. You ought to be about ready for a third display case by now. :D
LOL yes sir. I am actually in need of a 3rd one. Here is one more Pearl Winchester Pen that I got off of Knifeaholic! :)
Attachments
20190609_201204.jpg
20190609_201228.jpg
20190609_201241.jpg
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I picked up this Voos stainless all metal pen the other day. Had not seen one before. The handle material is also stainless with a blank panel for engraving a name or initials.It is 2 1/2" overall. One interesting thing is the bail, which is marked "Simmons Sterling". The blades don't look like it has been used much, but the handle material is kind of dinged up like it was carried a lot in a pocket with car keys, etc.
IMG_2972.JPG
IMG_2973.JPG
IMG_2971.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

OC - Nice knife and good addition to the thread ::tu:: ::tu:: ... Voos made alot of pen knives and especially FOB knives similar to yours in different styles. Simmons Sterling is interesting - Being in New Haven I wonder if related to Simmons which merged with Winchester ::hmm:: .. as an aside - Voos only seemed to make one jack knife - regular bare-head with 2 blades and nice jigged bone. Actually I once saw a Voos whittler at a NCCA show which was unique at least in my view - never saw or heard of another..
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

LongBlade wrote:OC - Nice knife and good addition to the thread ::tu:: ::tu:: ... Voos made alot of pen knives and especially FOB knives similar to yours in different styles. Simmons Sterling is interesting - Being in New Haven I wonder if related to Simmons which merged with Winchester ::hmm:: .. as an aside - Voos only seemed to make one jack knife - regular bare-head with 2 blades and nice jigged bone. Actually I once saw a Voos whittler at a NCCA show which was unique at least in my view - never saw or heard of another..
What is interesting is that the name Simmons stamped on the bail is upside down in relationship to the word Sterling. At first I thought maybe the bail came from something else and was added. The handle material is somewhat magnetic, so must be stainless. Also shown is my only other Voos, the previously mentioned bare head jack, with steel liners, bolsters, and jigged bone handle material. The tangstamp on the jack shows the name VOOS with an arrow thru it, the pen is not stamped the same way.
IMG_2974.JPG
IMG_2976.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”