Homage to Traditional Pen Knives

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
espn77

Re: Homage to Traditional Pen Knives

Post by espn77 »

Joe, once again great knife!!!!! And great photography. I have this W.H. MORLEY & SONS GERMANY. It measures 2 15/16. I'm going to call it a serpentine pen ::shrug::
Attachments
20190210_185658.jpg
20190210_185642.jpg
20190210_185627.jpg
20190210_185607.jpg
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you Keith. ::tu::
I think your knife is a serpentine pen too. ::nod:: And a beauty at that.
I always like those Morley knives with the charming little clover stamp.
Yours looks to be in incredible condition. Good show.
Joe
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Thanks Joe.
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Nice knives Joe and Keith ::tu:: ::tu:: ...

Joe - That is a long master for a pen - somebody must have bought it and forgot it in a drawer :) ...

Keith - I think serpentine pen as well .. pretty cool pattern for a pen knife 8) ...

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Just a little stag Case from the big hair era...
Attachments
2019-03-10_06-18-54.jpg
2019-03-10_06-19-03.jpg
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Nice Case in stag Tony ::tu:: ::tu:: ..

Here's an Excelsior Knife Co Swell-Center pen handled in horn (3" closed)... cool little bar shield .. While Excelsior Knife Co (CT) is listed as 1880-1884 the stamp continued until 1904 at the Northfield factory... though I have read in David Anthony's book that Northfield perhaps used Excelsior Cutlery Company from 1884-1890 to make knives... This knife is stamped Excelsior /Knife Co - so I am not sure other than saying Excelsior no doubt was made somewhere in that range ::hmm:: ...
Mark Side DSCN9845.JPG
Pile Side DSCN9854.JPG
Blades Open DSCN9974.JPG
Tang Stamp DSCN9984.JPG

Post by Duffer »

Lee, that is a gem of a Swell Center pen ::tu:: And it is in such outstanding condition especially given its age! What a nice clear tang stamp.
Lloyd
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Another very fine old knife, Lee. In beautiful condition and as LLoyd says, a very nice stamp.
A very desirable pattern. ::tu::
Joe
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks Lloyd and Joe ::tu:: ::handshake:: ... the condition was no doubt lightly used - still snaps great with half stops :) ...

Post by smiling-knife »

Hi Everyone, I've not been onboard awhile. I really enjoyed catching-up on this pen knife thread. There are loads of beautiful knives shown. This is one of my favourites. A Lockwood Bros Sheffield made circa 1900.
Attachments
24-03 015.jpg
24-03 019.jpg
24-03 020.jpg
Rust Never Sleeps
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

S-K - That Lockwood pen is a stunner - etch and all ::tu:: ::tu:: .. Thanks for sharing it!!

Post by smiling-knife »

Thank you :-)
Rust Never Sleeps
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

Wade Wingfield and Rowbotham Sheffield late 1800s.
Attachments
Horseman's 016.jpg
Rust Never Sleeps
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Here are three that I recently picked up.
Attachments
IMG_5179 (2).JPG
IMG_5124 (2).JPG
IMG_4947 (2).JPG
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Nice knives Greg ::tu:: ::tu:: .. nothing like a pair of Empires and a Remington :D ... The Hayward on the shield on the wharncliffe is very cool 8) .. anyway Hayward seems to be a name from the old cutlery industry that seems familiar.. I have the same MOP Empire wharncliffe posted on page 1 of the Wharncliffe thread ::nod::
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

LongBlade wrote:Nice knives Greg ::tu:: ::tu:: .. nothing like a pair of Empires and a Remington :D ... The Hayward on the shield on the wharncliffe is very cool 8) .. anyway Hayward seems to be a name from the old cutlery industry that seems familiar.. I have the same MOP Empire wharncliffe posted on page 1 of the Wharncliffe thread ::nod::
Thanks Lee! The Hayward Jewlery Co. was a large player in covering skeletons produced by Knife companies it actually started just a couple of years before Empire went into business. Here is some history on them.
THE WALTER E. HAYWARD COMPANY F. G. Whitney and E. W. Davenport formed the firm of F. G. Whitney & Company in 1849, and operated for half a century in the inexpensive jewelry field of production, building up a big foreign business. In 1851, Thompson, Hayward & Co. began business and four years later the name was changed to Hayward & Briggs. In 1859 the original plant was burned and a new concern, C. E. Hayward & Company rebuilt. This designation continued until 1886 when the firm became known as Hayward & Sweet, and in 1891 it was incorporated as the Walter E. Hayward Company. Frank E. Smith is president, Elmer S. Smith, vice president, Walter G. Moon, secretary, and Frank J. Ryder, treasurer of the concern. For many years this company manufactured only 18-carat gold products and it soon became the most important jewelry unit in the east part of Attleboro. Today it carries on an extensive foreign business in Canada, the Philippines, South America, China and Japan. Gold front and plated jewelry constitute the present-day products, upwards of 100 hands being employed. The concern is capitalized for $300,000.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

gsmith7158 wrote:
LongBlade wrote:Nice knives Greg ::tu:: ::tu:: .. nothing like a pair of Empires and a Remington :D ... The Hayward on the shield on the wharncliffe is very cool 8) .. anyway Hayward seems to be a name from the old cutlery industry that seems familiar.. I have the same MOP Empire wharncliffe posted on page 1 of the Wharncliffe thread ::nod::
Thanks Lee! The Hayward Jewlery Co. was a large player in covering skeletons produced by Knife companies it actually started just a couple of years before Empire went into business. Here is some history on them.
THE WALTER E. HAYWARD COMPANY F. G. Whitney and E. W. Davenport formed the firm of F. G. Whitney & Company in 1849, and operated for half a century in the inexpensive jewelry field of production, building up a big foreign business. In 1851, Thompson, Hayward & Co. began business and four years later the name was changed to Hayward & Briggs. In 1859 the original plant was burned and a new concern, C. E. Hayward & Company rebuilt. This designation continued until 1886 when the firm became known as Hayward & Sweet, and in 1891 it was incorporated as the Walter E. Hayward Company. Frank E. Smith is president, Elmer S. Smith, vice president, Walter G. Moon, secretary, and Frank J. Ryder, treasurer of the concern. For many years this company manufactured only 18-carat gold products and it soon became the most important jewelry unit in the east part of Attleboro. Today it carries on an extensive foreign business in Canada, the Philippines, South America, China and Japan. Gold front and plated jewelry constitute the present-day products, upwards of 100 hands being employed. The concern is capitalized for $300,000.
Thanks Greg ::tu:: ::tu:: - Thanks for posting that background on Hayward ::handshake:: ... It actually may be the company which did aluminum bolster and skeleton knife engraving for many cutleries and the sterling silver skeleton covers 8)

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Years ago< I bought a Hayward stamped four blade gent's or lady's knife with embossed/engraved nickel-silver (I think) handles applied.

There was an oval cartouche in the center of the front handle that had the initials, "B.L.N." nicely engraved in a fancy script.

I didn't know Hayward from Shinola, but "B.L.N." were my sister's initials.

I bought the knife for her.

She still has it.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

I've seen quite a few 18 kt. Gentleman's knives that were made for fraternal organizations done by Hayward. They were bought in 1977 by The Allison Reed Co. and are still in business in Providence, RI.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

A penknife with Art Nouveau style Sterling silver scales made by Vom Cleff of Solingen early 1900s.
Attachments
VC-1.jpg
VC-2.jpg
VC-3.jpg
Rust Never Sleeps
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Just went through this thread again. Some real stunners have been posted here. Thanks Lee for getting it rolling. Here is one of mine to contribute.
C1CC1588-90C5-4FC5-9CB1-67ED2F01FA7C.jpeg
EE38E723-DD1C-4004-ABA3-B4D19E342EB6.jpeg
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

JAMESC41001 wrote:Just went through this thread again. Some real stunners have been posted here. Thanks Lee for getting it rolling. Here is one of mine to contribute. C1CC1588-90C5-4FC5-9CB1-67ED2F01FA7C.jpegEE38E723-DD1C-4004-ABA3-B4D19E342EB6.jpeg
Very Very Nice ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Nice Jay ::tu:: ::tu:: ...

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Thanks guys s. The quality of knives be shown here in this thread and aapk in general is pretty impressive. The background information and the knowledge being shared is amazing.
rugmar

Post by rugmar »

Here's a picture of an even ten.
4 Case pens flanked on the left by a Utica, an Ulster and a Sheffield England and on the right by two Catts and a super old Art Knife company, Nicholson PA. with girls on the sides.
Attachments
IMG_0171.jpg

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”