Old Imperial solid bolster knives......

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
knife7knut

Old Imperial solid bolster knives......

Post by knife7knut »

A recent post featuring an old solid bolster Imperial got me to thinking about them. I amassed quite a few of these back when I was collecting knives because they were well made and not of any specific brand. The old Imperial knives never disappointed me and great examples could be had for very reasonable money as no one really cared about them.
Going through mine and doing some re-photographing I found some interesting variations.For instance some of the curved can openers are stamped,"Can Opener" and one I have has a patent number below the stamping while still another has,"patent pending" underneath. There are at least four different leather punches featured including one that is two piece! Some of the non Scout utilities feature a pen blade in lieu of a punch blade.The screwdriver/cap lifter comes in at least 3 sizes.Some have pinned bails while others have snap on(wire)bails that usually disappear.I won't even get into the number of shield variations as well as tang stamps.
Of all the ones I photographed today probably the most unusual(to me anyway)is the 3 blade with the shield stamped,"Kamp King". This is the first time I have ever seen a Kamp King with solid bolsters. I have several of them with the shell bolsters including my grandfather's which was the first knife I ever cut myself with at the age of eight!
Anyway here goes the pictures;I hope you enjoy them and feel free to add any you might have.
Attachments
SolidBolsterImperialKnives5-1-17 001.jpg
SolidBolsterImperialKnives5-1-17 003.jpg
SolidBolsterImperialKnives5-1-17 005.jpg
SolidBolsterImperialKnives5-1-17 008.jpg
SolidBolsterImperialKnives5-1-17 011.jpg
SolidBolsterImperialKnives5-1-17 014.jpg
SolidBolsterImperialKnives5-1-17 017.jpg
SolidBolsterImperialKnives5-1-17 019.jpg
SolidBolsterImperialKnives5-1-17 020.jpg
SolidBolsterImperialKnives5-1-17 023.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
knife7knut

Re: Old Imperial solid bolster knives......

Post by knife7knut »

Page two
Attachments
SolidBolsterImperialKnives5-1-17 025.jpg
SolidBolsterImperialKnives5-1-17 028.jpg
SolidBolsterImperialKnives5-1-17 029.jpg
SolidBolsterImperialKnives5-1-17 031.jpg
SolidBolsterImperialKnives5-1-17 033.jpg
SolidBolsterImperialKnives5-1-17 036.jpg
SolidBolsterImperialKnives5-1-17 037.jpg
SolidBolsterImperialKnives5-1-17 038.jpg
SolidBolsterImperialKnives5-1-17 039.jpg
SolidBolsterImperialKnives5-1-17 041.jpg
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Page three
Attachments
SolidBolsterImperialKnives5-1-17 043.jpg
SolidBolsterImperialKnives5-1-17 044.jpg
SolidBolsterImperialKnives5-1-17 045.jpg
SolidBolsterImperialKnives5-1-17 046.jpg
SolidBolsterImperialKnives5-1-17 047.jpg
SolidBolsterImperialKnives5-1-17 048.jpg
SolidBolsterImperialKnives5-1-17 049.jpg
SolidBolsterImperialKnives5-1-17 050.jpg
SolidBolsterImperialKnives5-1-17 051.jpg
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Page four
Attachments
SolidBolsterImperialKnives5-1-17 052.jpg
SolidBolsterImperialKnives5-1-17 053.jpg
SolidBolsterImperialKnives5-1-17 054.jpg
SolidBolsterImperialKnives5-1-17 055.jpg
SolidBolsterImperialKnives5-1-17 056.jpg
SolidBolsterImperialKnives5-1-17 057.jpg
SolidBolsterImperialKnives5-1-17 058.jpg
SolidBolsterImperialKnives5-1-17 059.jpg
SolidBolsterImperialKnives5-1-17 060.jpg
SolidBolsterImperialKnives5-1-17 061.jpg
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Page five The IKCO with two different color handles may have been a salesman's sample.
Attachments
IKCO1.jpg
IKCO2.jpg
IKCO3.jpg
IKCOSingleBlade1.JPG
ImperialEqualEndJackGreenHandles2017-1.JPG
ImperialFlake1.jpg
ImperialSerpentineIntegralSkipinskiInsulation2017-1.JPG
ImperialSlantBolsterBlue2017-1.JPG
ImperialSlantBolsterYellow2017-1.JPG
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Great variety of old Imperials, Ray! I really like the second one on the second page, with the large clip and the serrated sheepsfoot. I don't really like serrated blades, but on that one it seems to fit.
Dan
Dan
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

danno50 wrote:Great variety of old Imperials, Ray! I really like the second one on the second page, with the large clip and the serrated sheepsfoot. I don't really like serrated blades, but on that one it seems to fit.
Dan
I was a bit hesitant to post that one as the master blade isn't stamped but it has all the earmarks of an Imperial.If you look closely at the serrations you will notice there is a mis-cut tooth about two thirds of the way down the blade. Someone else posted an identical knife on one of the forums here awhile ago that had the exact defect! Here is a closeup of the blade.
Attachments
Unmarked4Blade2.jpg
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Those serrated blades like that, were they for dog grooming? Something seems to ring a bell. ::shrug::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

treefarmer wrote:Those serrated blades like that, were they for dog grooming? Something seems to ring a bell. ::shrug::
Treefarmer
I believe the dog grooming blades had a little more pronounced tooth to them such as this one;although I suppose they could have been used for that purpose.
Attachments
DogGroomingKnives 001.jpg
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Interesting historical bunch of Imperials, Ray. Of the ones posted my favorites are on page five: the first and third cracked ice jacks - the ones with bolsters. I like the nice swedged clip blades with the long pulls on those. I do not know if that cracked ice material is a kind of celluloid or not, but it has certainly held up well.
Mel
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

K7K,
There is quite a difference in the teeth on the that "stockman" compared to the one we are discussing. Back to the 1st serrated blade, the tooth count is about 24 per inch like a metal cutting hacksaw blade and appears to not to be directional. What do you think such a blade was intended to cut?
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Dinadan wrote:Interesting historical bunch of Imperials, Ray. Of the ones posted my favorites are on page five: the first and third cracked ice jacks - the ones with bolsters. I like the nice swedged clip blades with the long pulls on those. I do not know if that cracked ice material is a kind of celluloid or not, but it has certainly held up well.
The first one with the greenish tinted handles is indeed a beautiful little knife.The serpentine is pretty decent although it does show a bit of shrinkage. The one above it with the blue handles originally had cracked ice handles but they were deteriorating so I replaced them with some blue Plexiglass I had left over from a job.And yes they are celluloid.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

treefarmer wrote:K7K,
There is quite a difference in the teeth on the that "stockman" compared to the one we are discussing. Back to the 1st serrated blade, the tooth count is about 24 per inch like a metal cutting hacksaw blade and appears to not to be directional. What do you think such a blade was intended to cut?
Treefarmer
I'm not really sure of the intent of those teeth;a sheepfoot blade isn't really suited to cut anything that would require serrations such as steak or some other meat. What I cannot understand is how two knives got out of the factory with the identical fault in the blade. I'm going to have to search and find out who posted that other knife.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

knife7knut wrote:I'm not really sure of the intent of those teeth;a sheepfoot blade isn't really suited to cut anything that would require serrations such as steak or some other meat.
Schrade, the eventual owner of the Imperial brand (or vice versa depending on your perspective) thought otherwise:
27803791112_f01acfc592_b.jpg
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

You guys have some nice Imperials! They certainly made some fine knives in their early years. I looked through my pile and I have 5 old school Imperials.
20170502_141118.jpg
The top four all have the two line marking dating 1935-1945 per Goin's.
20170502_143142.jpg
The Barlow on the bottom has the earlier curved stamp dating it to 1917-1925.
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

knife7knut wrote:
Dinadan wrote:Interesting historical bunch of Imperials, Ray. Of the ones posted my favorites are on page five: the first and third cracked ice jacks - the ones with bolsters. I like the nice swedged clip blades with the long pulls on those. I do not know if that cracked ice material is a kind of celluloid or not, but it has certainly held up well.
The first one with the greenish tinted handles is indeed a beautiful little knife.The serpentine is pretty decent although it does show a bit of shrinkage. The one above it with the blue handles originally had cracked ice handles but they were deteriorating so I replaced them with some blue Plexiglass I had left over from a job.And yes they are celluloid.
I also like the one that you replaced the handles on, but the swedge made the difference! Regarding the green tint on the knife, that passed me by. I am partially colorblind, and I am never confident about subtle green and red tints.
Mel
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Dinadan wrote:
I also like the one that you replaced the handles on, but the swedge made the difference! Regarding the green tint on the knife, that passed me by. I am partially colorblind, and I am never confident about subtle green and red tints.
Many of my customers are afflicted with color blindness;some more than others.As someone who works with colors all the time I am glad that I am not.In my line of work not only do I have to get an accurate replication of a particular shade of color but I also have to take into account that it dries slightly darker than when it is wet so I have to compensate for that.
One of the worst times I ever had was trying to affect the proper shade of gray(to match the leather upholstery)on a vintage truck that was painted Sea Foam Green.No matter what I did it came out looking purple. I finally gave up trying and used another shade of green and white. Gray is probably the most difficult to match as there are many different over tones such as a green,red,brown,or blue component. Probably why most art schools spend an entire year just working with shades of gray.
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

Very nice, K7K. ::tu:: I am gaining a whole new appreciation for the older IMPERIALS. I've not got very many but as I scan ebay I pay a little more attention to the IMPERIALS now.
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

This one goes here....
Attachments
IMG_0822.JPG
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

I like that one, Scott! ::tu::
Dan
Dan
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Thought I would post this one up even though it has no bolsters.The stamp on the master blade isn't listed in the Imperial tang stamp list but the one on the secondary blade is(#3).The master blade stamp is the,"IMPERIAL KNIFE CO" in all capital letters on two lines.Black waterfall celluloid scales are a bit unusual as well.Probably one of the earliest Imperial knives.
Attachments
OldImperial2015 001.jpg
OldImperial2015 003.jpg
OldImperial2015 004.jpg
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey GUYS, Great GREAT knives from ALL of you!!! Do you guys COLLECT these Early IMPERIAL's or just buy/sell/trade them??
I only have 1 Nice Early Imperial in a TUFF TUFF Pattern to find if anyone is interested (knife7knut??)
Its Been in my "Keeper drawer" for at least 2yrs now(Probably longer, LOL),,,I suppose I am ready to let someone else Play with it and LOVE on it AND who can appreciate Imperial's,,,I KNOW I sure do. LOVE Love them IKCo brand knives Also,,,Probably one of my personal favorites that I dont tell everyone, LOL hahahaha
Please PM me if anyone is interested,,,Knife stays in my Keeper drawer AND IS Not going to ebay or my AAPK store. It Will Only go to "Knife guys" on here that will appreciate it. If you DONT know what Pattern it is,,,Well then YOU better start studying up my friend. Those knifenuts like US know EXACTLY what it is, LMAO!!!!! Isnt that right guys???? HAHAHAHAH
Kind Regards,
Mark
Attachments
100_1877.JPG
100_1891.JPG
100_1881.JPG
100_1884.JPG
100_1889.JPG
100_1897.JPG
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Here are a couple of solid bolstered Imperials from the 30's,very well made ::nod::
Attachments
652.jpg
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey Guys, Here is my Early Imperial IKCo stamped Harness Jack. Goins dates the knife 1928-30 right?? Its got that Triangle IKCo stamping
Thx Mark
Attachments
101.jpg
102.jpg
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

That is one outstanding old HJ, Mark! ::tu::

Here's my humble hoard of pre-clamshell Imperials, minus one or two electrician's knives and an ad knife or two...
30528546610_1534cef2cb_b.jpg
24977319986_00352fcb3c_b.jpg
24290764245_97e4e9be29_b.jpg
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”