American Knife Co. Thomaston

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: American Knife Co. Thomaston

Post by stockman »

Really Nice Knife.

Harold
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, Harold.
I've got a neat old Southington Cut. Co. in Knife Lore too. And a Terrier as well.
Joe
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

galvanic1882 wrote:I just got this info from a friend that knows a collector that lives in Conn, cool reading.

I would like to share with you this true story.
This week I went to a local jewelry store and spoke to the 72 year old owner that lived in Winsted hid whole life.
He told me the following story. He lived one street over from Highland lake where the first EMPIRE knife company was located.
Empire first operated out of this building using the overflow of the water from the lake to get power to run the equipment to make the knives. In 1903 to 1906 Empire move to a new building built just for them and by a larger water stream to have adiquite power
to make the knives. The old building buy the lake was used for other businesses. In 1955 whenWinsted had the great flood
the American knife company was using this lake building and making knives. On the morning of the 1955 flood the jewelry store owner woke up to a loud bang and crash. The excess water flowing from the lake was undermining the foundation of the American knife company factory. The flood took the building and all the knives and washed them downstream. The jewelry store owner was
11 years old boy at this time. He told me he walked along the banks of the river and picked up knives by the 5 gallon pail.
he said he gave knives to all his friends and relatives. I never new that the American Knife company used the first Empire Knife Building. it was a very interesting story to me. I hope you enjoy it.
Tom"
Mike, thanks for that story. I'm sorry it got ignored.
I wanted it to be seen and read again and I wanted to show off this old pruner in this thread.

Also, I want to show an "American Winsted" that Mike was referring to. American Knife Co., Winsted Ct.
Attachments
DSCN8873.JPG
DSCN8875.JPG
DSCN8880.JPG
DSCN8882.JPG
DSCN9810.JPG
DSCN9815.JPG
DSCN9821.JPG
Joe

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”