Cattaraugus Cutlery Co.

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
Duffer

Re: Cattaraugus Cutlery Co.

Post by Duffer »

Good job Joe! If you collect old vintage folders this is a skill (adjusting the kick) that you become fairly familiar with real quick or you just learn to live with it ::nod:: I can’t so it I fix it! Nice folder by the way ::tu::
Lloyd
BWT

Post by BWT »

Nice knife Joe, thanks for sharing, another oldie but goodie!!! Thanks for sharing the photo of how you corrected the blade too.
Bill
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

For some reason, I think the manufacturer of the bone did refer to it as "Indian Trail".

I might have read that written by Bernie Levine, but not necessarily in his books.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, Lloyd and Bill. Appreciate your comments. ::tu::
Joe
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Great old Catt pen, Joe, ebony with clear tang stamps! ::tu::
Dan
Dan
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thanks a lot, Dan. ::tu::
Joe
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

1fartsmella wrote:Thanks guys. Lee in the old catalogs Cattaraugus called these handles Stag. I think Indian Trail is a modern collectors term and is referring to the Cattaraugus Indian when they say "Indian trail bone". that's just my interpretation.
Charlie is right. According to Levine, with regard to bone knife handles the term "Indian Trail" originated from the supplier of Rogers bone. Here's a link to the 1987 article written by Bernard Levine http://www.knife-expert.com/bonehand.txt

Ken

Edit: BTW I don't understand why AAPK doesn't have a "brand-specific" sub-forum for Cattaraugus Cutlery Company. ::shrug:: We've got one for many IMHO much less substantive companies.
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Mumbleypeg wrote:Charlie is right. According to Levine, with regard to bone knife handles the term "Indian Trail" originated from the supplier of Rogers bone. Here's a link to the 1987 article written by Bernard Levine http://www.knife expert.com/bonehand.txt

Ken

Edit: BTW I don't understand why AAPK doesn't have a "brand-specific" sub-forum for Cattaraugus Cutlery Company. ::shrug:: We've got one for many IMHO much less substantive companies.
Thank you Charlie and Ken.
Good informational reading there, Ken, thank you.

Good point on the Cattaraugus sub forum, Ken. It would be great to see a more dedicated forum for a great cutlery company. ::tu::
We don't even have New York Knife company listed there. Or Walden Knife. Or Tidioute. Or Northfield, Challenge, Miller Bros.,
Landers Frary & Clark, Humiston & Beckley, Waterville, Empire, Gardner, American Shear and Knife. ........... Any way, we can't put every manufacturer in there of course but these companies and more should be given some consideration. ::nod::
Thanks for looking.
Joe
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

I am all for a sub forum for Cattaragus, NYKC, Challenge, Miller Brothers and Empire. Thanks for bringing his up Ken and Joe!!
Lloyd
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

FRJ wrote:Any way, we can't put every manufacturer in there of course but these companies and more should be given some consideration.
Exactly, how many is enough? Most of the sub-forums are hardly used a few topics and even fewer regular posters. Nothing wrong with keeping it right here in knife lore ::nod::
AAPK Janitor
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Miller Bro's wrote:
FRJ wrote:Any way, we can't put every manufacturer in there of course but these companies and more should be given some consideration.
Exactly, how many is enough? Most of the sub-forums are hardly used a few topics and even fewer regular posters. Nothing wrong with keeping it right here in knife lore ::nod::
I agree. Many of these manufacturers would generate little traffic and would go unnoticed.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, Dimitri and Wayne.
Well, it is a Brand Specific Knife Forum for searching specific manufactures used by members of this forum and by many non members as well. Having in place an organized group of major manufacturers for research seems like good management to me.
I admit my suggestions for contenders was a little long but I think Cattaraugus Cuttlery and New York Knife might be considered in there. Obviously they can be sought for research and comments where they are. That has worked this far.
I don't know what it takes to move threads around to different forums.
Thank you. ::handshake::
Joe
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Hard to find Catt sheepsfoot jack, nicely pocket worn with good blades, used but not abused.
Attachments
IMG_2857.jpeg
IMG_2858.jpeg
IMG_2862.jpeg
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Another beautiful knife, John. That bone!
Thanks for putting it in this thread.
Interesting how someone found more use out of the pen than the sheepsfoot.
I see that from time to time in the jacks in my own knives.
Joe
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

FRJ wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:55 pm Another beautiful knife, John. That bone!
Thanks for putting it in this thread.
Interesting how someone found more use out of the pen than the sheepsfoot.
I see that from time to time in the jacks in my own knives.

Thanks Joe, I also have several vintage jacks that the pen shows a lot more wear than the main. My edc is a GEC 92 Eureka jack and I use the pen 85% of the time.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

JohnR wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:23 pm Hard to find Catt sheepsfoot jack, nicely pocket worn with good blades, used but not abused.
John you sure have some beautiful knives.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

FRJ wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:05 pm Edit: BTW I don't understand why AAPK doesn't have a "brand-specific" sub-forum for Cattaraugus Cutlery Company. ::shrug:: We've got one for many IMHO much less substantive companies.
Thank you Charlie and Ken.
Good informational reading there, Ken, thank you.

Good point on the Cattaraugus sub forum, Ken. It would be great to see a more dedicated forum for a great cutlery company. ::tu:: [/quote]

This is crazy!
I didn't need to start this thread, "Cattaraugus Cutlery Co." in Knife Lore.
Miller Bros. (Dimitri) had already started "Cattaraugus Cutlery Co., Little Valley N.Y. 1886-1963" in
Cattaraugus Cutlery Collectors forum in July of 2010. I guess I didn't research.
Sorry about the long winded confusion.
Joe
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

edge213 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:18 pm
JohnR wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:23 pm Hard to find Catt sheepsfoot jack, nicely pocket worn with good blades, used but not abused.
John you sure have some beautiful knives.

David, thank you. appreciate the comment.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

John ::tu::
Roger
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »