Wharncliffe Knives

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Wharncliffe Knives

Post by jerryd6818 »

I appreciate the heads up. Thank you.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
1fartsmella
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by 1fartsmella »

This is an unusual knife. It looks to be a Gunstock Wharncliffe Whittler with Ivory handles. 2 5/8" closed. All 3 blades stamped LUKE FIRTHS CELEBRATED CUTLERY. Has WHARNCLIFFE KNIFE stamped on the face of the master blade. Levine dates this stamp 1849 to 1870. 150 plus years old. Barry
Attachments
FIRTH FT.jpg
FIRTH CLSD.jpg
Barry
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Sweet knife Barry ::tu:: ::tu:: ... A wharncliffe and gunstock in one - very cool and unique 8)

Post by FRJ »

That's a true gem there, Barry.
A real survivor. ::tu::
Joe
1fartsmella
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by 1fartsmella »

Thanks guys. I have others. This next one is stamped PETER HENDRICH & GRAH on both blades. Nickel silver handles in a weird shape. It's 3 1/2" closed. I think I will call it a Swayback Mustache Jack. Has a nice long Wharncliffe master. Don't know anything about where it was made, but the names sound German. No info in Goins or Levine's. This unused knife was a little difficult to scan because of the reflection. It's very shiny. This one came from the Plainfield Fire Dept Knife Show about 6 or 8 years ago. Barry
Attachments
PH& G FT.jpg
PH&G OPN.jpg
PH&G CLSD.jpg
Barry
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

1fartsmella wrote:Thanks guys. I have others. This next one is stamped PETER HENDRICH & GRAH on both blades. Nickel silver handles in a weird shape. It's 3 1/2" closed. I think I will call it a Swayback Mustache Jack. Has a nice long Wharncliffe master. Don't know anything about where it was made, but the names sound German. No info in Goins or Levine's. This unused knife was a little difficult to scan because of the reflection. It's very shiny. This one came from the Plainfield Fire Dept Knife Show about 6 or 8 years ago. Barry
Barry; I found the below info in my 1986 Goins book, page #100. ::nod::
Looked up last name first. (I find that works many times in Goins book research)
Peter Hendricks c 1922-1926
The firm of Peter Hendricks G.m.b.H. Solingen, Germany used trademark "Pharus" during these years. In 1926 the firm was sold to Friedr. Herder & Sohn.

Barry; You can look up: Friedr, Herder ABR Sohn on page #101 of Goins 1986 issue for further information of the buyer of your posted knife mfg.
I must add that your knife is in very nice condition for its age.
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Those are some unique wharnies, Barry...Thanks for sharing.

Here are two "Wharnoes" (canoes that have had the master blades modified into wharncliffe blades).
P1010001.JPG
~Q~
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
1fartsmella
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by 1fartsmella »

Old Folder wrote:
1fartsmella wrote:Thanks guys. I have others. This next one is stamped PETER HENDRICH & GRAH on both blades. Nickel silver handles in a weird shape. It's 3 1/2" closed. I think I will call it a Swayback Mustache Jack. Has a nice long Wharncliffe master. Don't know anything about where it was made, but the names sound German. No info in Goins or Levine's. This unused knife was a little difficult to scan because of the reflection. It's very shiny. This one came from the Plainfield Fire Dept Knife Show about 6 or 8 years ago. Barry
Barry; I found the below info in my 1986 Goins book, page #100. ::nod::
Looked up last name first. (I find that works many times in Goins book research)
Peter Hendricks c 1922-1926
The firm of Peter Hendricks G.m.b.H. Solingen, Germany used trademark "Pharus" during these years. In 1926 the firm was sold to Friedr. Herder & Sohn.

Barry; You can look up: Friedr, Herder ABR Sohn on page #101 of Goins 1986 issue for further information of the buyer of your posted knife mfg.
I must add that your knife is in very nice condition for its age.
Thanks Dan...........It's always important to know what you don't know.....That's one less thing I don't know. Thanks again, Barry
Barry
wlf

Post by wlf »

1fartsmella wrote:
Old Folder wrote:
1fartsmella wrote:Thanks guys. I have others. This next one is stamped PETER HENDRICH & GRAH on both blades. Nickel silver handles in a weird shape. It's 3 1/2" closed. I think I will call it a Swayback Mustache Jack. Has a nice long Wharncliffe master. Don't know anything about where it was made, but the names sound German. No info in Goins or Levine's. This unused knife was a little difficult to scan because of the reflection. It's very shiny. This one came from the Plainfield Fire Dept Knife Show about 6 or 8 years ago. Barrym

Thanks Dan...........It's always important to know what you don't know.....That's one less thing I don't know. Thanks again, Barry
I agree, if only we can remember.

Nice knives fellas.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
PCwizard

Post by PCwizard »

A Beretta Trident I found deep in the safe. I forgot I had it.
Attachments
b2.jpg
b3.jpg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Gary, that Trident is just like the Electra except for the handles. They are a slick little knife. I wonder what other covers were put on.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

jerryd6818 wrote:Gary, that Trident is just like the Electra except for the handles. They are a slick little knife. I wonder what other covers were put on.
I have been wondering what the difference is between the Trident and the Electra...are they both the same size (3 5/8")?

Here's my Electra with Carbon Fiber covers (which I posted in this thread last month).
PC040017.JPG
I also saw this one with elephant ivory covers that was sold through Sander's AAPK store for $150...I'm kicking myself big time for missing out on that one.

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_stock=1

~Q~

~Q~
PCwizard

Post by PCwizard »

QTCut5 wrote:
jerryd6818 wrote:Gary, that Trident is just like the Electra except for the handles. They are a slick little knife. I wonder what other covers were put on.
I have been wondering what the difference is between the Trident and the Electra...are they both the same size (3 5/8")?

~Q~
I always thought they were all Beretta Trident's and the Electra was a "Beretta Trident Electra" model because it has the circuit board inlay.
the photo is a Beretta Trident with Carbon Fiber with box, I know its hard to read but Its just says Trident. I maybe wrong :?
Attachments
beretta-trident-wharncliffe.jpg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I know the Electra is 3-5/8" closed. I would guess the Trident is as well. The frames appear to be exactly alike except for the handles.
Just did a Google search and the Trident is 3-5/8".
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

PCwizard wrote:I always thought they were all Beretta Trident's and the Electra was a "Beretta Trident Electra" model because it has the circuit board inlay. the photo is a Beretta Trident with Carbon Fiber with box, I know its hard to read but Its just says Trident. I maybe wrong :?
OK, if they're both the same size, that totally makes sense: an Electra is a Trident with circuit board inlay. I was worried that the Trident was a larger frame size, because if it were, of course I'd have to get one.

That Trident in Cocobolo sure is classy...first time I've seen that version.

~Q~

~Q~
1fartsmella
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by 1fartsmella »

This little smokers knife is 2 1/4" closed with 6 blades. Stamped RODGERS CUTLERS TO HER MAJESTY. No 6 NORFOLK STREET. It sports a Wharncliffe master and pen cutting blades. A button hook, and cigar fork (aka roach clip for cigars) on top, and a file & bodkin on bottom. I believe when you luck into a knife like this, it's because of the cracks in the pearl. Who here would pass up a broken handle knife like this? This was in a "junk" box at one of the knife shows. This knife dates circa 1837 to 1901. The fit and finish is second to none. Barry
Attachments
RODGERS FT.jpg
RODGERS BK.jpg
RODGERS OPN.jpg
Barry
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Barry,that is some good junk. ::tu::
Roger
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

Nice find Barry, you have a great eye that's for sure!!
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Modern Kershaw Wharncliffe folding knives made in USA.
P1060010.JPG
~Q~

~Q~
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

QTCut5 wrote:Those are some unique wharnies, Barry...Thanks for sharing.

Here are two "Wharnoes" (canoes that have had the master blades modified into wharncliffe blades).

P1010001.JPG

~Q~
Thanks for posting that Q. I love creating wharncliffe blades out of other blades which are suited to it (hence the "ratcliffe" muskrat mod). This tapered blade canoe mod is kind of a hybrid between a tapered lambsfoot and a wharncliffe ... ::ds::
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
1fartsmella
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by 1fartsmella »

This old Henckels has one of the largest Wharnecliffe blades. The knife is 4" closed with a 3 1/4" master. Some knives have more meaning besides being a nice knife. This one was gifted to me by a good friend outside of a estate sale of an old Victorian house in Garden City NY. We were going over the "booty" after the sale ..... He came over to me and said "Hay, look what I found behind the bar" handed me this knife and said "Here Ya Go, keep it". I will always try to get even with him, but it will be a difficult task to make up for this treasure. Barry
Attachments
HENCKELS FT.jpg
HENCKELS BK adj.jpg
Barry
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Wow, that Stag Wharncliffe Bartender's knife is something else. (I think I need to find better friends like yours!)

~Q~

~Q~
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

1fartsmella wrote:This old Henckels has one of the largest Wharnecliffe blades. The knife is 4" closed with a 3 1/4" master. Some knives have more meaning besides being a nice knife. This one was gifted to me by a good friend outside of a estate sale of an old Victorian house in Garden City NY. We were going over the "booty" after the sale ..... He came over to me and said "Hay, look what I found behind the bar" handed me this knife and said "Here Ya Go, keep it". I will always try to get even with him, but it will be a difficult task to make up for this treasure. Barry
Some of the best stag I've seen, must be the age. Nice one, kudos and thanks for showing us such a rare beaut.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

Should have post when the thread started now it's 102 years old. It's a camillus straight stamp on main blade , round stamp on small blades year 1916.I use it as my avatar when I get sick of the shearer.
Grant
Attachments
P1030140.JPG
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

Great knives guys, Barry the handles on that knife are really nice!!!

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”