Traditonal Hunters - Fifty years old (1965) and older…...

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Traditonal Hunters - Fifty years old (1965) and older…...

Post by Miller Bro's »

Thanks Roger, beautiful knives you have posted! ::drool::
AAPK Janitor
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Here's a few more that I have pictures of, then I'll start on the fixed blades ::doh::
Attachments
19-2.jpg
t.jpg
3-9.jpg
13-4.jpg
AAPK Janitor
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Dimitri - All nice hunters posted above and great variety - thanks for sharing ::tu:: ::tu:: ... The Union Cut is interesting to me - a folding hatchet with the clip blade - I guess to severe limbs etc :) ... Some real nice bone on those knives like the Wostenholm for example... Lets see the fixed blades ::nod::
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Wow, over a page of beautiful hunters since I last looked. Great knives, and as Lee said, nice variety posted by Roger, Dimitri and Joe! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Dan
Dan
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

LongBlade wrote:Dimitri - All nice hunters posted above and great variety - thanks for sharing ::tu:: ::tu:: ... The Union Cut is interesting to me - a folding hatchet with the clip blade - I guess to severe limbs etc :) ... Some real nice bone on those knives like the Wostenholm for example... Lets see the fixed blades ::nod::
Thanks Lee!

The Union knife/hatchet is the boy scout version marketed to scouts for chopping small pieces of wood for kindling, etc. The shield has boy scouts on it they also had them unmarked for sale to hunters and outdoors men.
AAPK Janitor
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Here's a few hunting knives.......
Attachments
54659-8171-2-W.jpg
underwood.jpg
7_zpscc34e74b.jpg
AAPK Janitor
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Awesome fixed blades and I really like the variety in those examples Dimitri ::tu:: ::tu:: ... The Wade & Butcher is just pure classic hunter, the Underwood (London retailer if I'm not mistaken) is different to my eye having more of a double-edged blade and the last one (unmarked ??) has a great gnarly "thorny" stag handle with one heck of a blade ::nod:: (and a nice sheath too)... 8) (Thorny for lack of a better word but just came to mind looking at it :lol: )...
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Thanks Lee, the knife is completely unmarked, I wish I knew who made it!

The blade is something like 12" long IIRC and the blade grinds were done by a very skilled Cutler. The handle is very gnarly and feels good in the hand, right down to the handmade sheath I like everything about this knife :D
AAPK Janitor
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Beautiful knives, Dimitri. ::tu::
Joe
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Thanks for looking Joe :)
AAPK Janitor
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Escelsior Knife Co, with "Hunters Favorite"etch.
Attachments
20180304_205835.jpg
20180304_205828.jpg
Roger
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

That's a real beauty there, Roger. ::tu::
A Northfield I assume.
Joe
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

I would assume.
Roger
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Great knife Roger ::tu:: ::tu:: ... If I am not mistaken at the NCCA show yesterday I saw the same knife and same etch but a Northfield stamp - and the knife was mint ::nod:: :D ... I guess that may not be surprising given the knives were made under the same roof for many years...
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Here you go Lee.
Attachments
1520298328655708107461.jpg
15202983514161738614605.jpg
1520298402582428988393.jpg
Roger
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

That's the one Roger :wink: ...

Post by FRJ »

HA!!! ::woot:: You had to figure Roger would have one like that too. Very nice, Roger!! ::tu::
Joe
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Beautiful folders Roger—-thanks for sharing them with us ::tu:: ::tu:: and to think you have two possibly made under the same roof as Lee revealed—WOW!!!
Lloyd
Sut Tatersaul

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

Hi, All:
A few days ago, I bid on and won, at auction, a Marble's Woodcraft hunting knife. It arrived today, by the USPS. It is a true replica of my first Hunting knife. It has been used, and abused during it's many years of use. I bought it knowing that it would be in hard used condition, so i'm not disappointed. I will have to give it quite a bit of thought as to how much to clean it up, or to leave it as is. As of now, after eighty six years have passed, It seems as though, I have my old "first hunting knife", like I remember it, in my hands again. My original knife, was used by my mother, the last twenty + years of it's very useful life as her garden knife. It was lost in the shuffle at her estate sale. Lost, but not forgotten. Please forgive me for retelling this long true tale of my first traditional hunter- 50 yrs. old, and older. acquired in 1936.
Sut Tatersaul
It's Mind Over Matter, If You Don't Mind, It Don't Matter
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Sut Tatersaul wrote:Hi, All:
A few days ago, I bid on and won, at auction, a Marble's Woodcraft hunting knife. It arrived today, by the USPS. It is a true replica of my first Hunting knife. It has been used, and abused during it's many years of use. I bought it knowing that it would be in hard used condition, so i'm not disappointed. I will have to give it quite a bit of thought as to how much to clean it up, or to leave it as is. As of now, after eighty six years have passed, It seems as though, I have my old "first hunting knife", like I remember it, in my hands again. My original knife, was used by my mother, the last twenty + years of it's very useful life as her garden knife. It was lost in the shuffle at her estate sale. Lost, but not forgotten. Please forgive me for retelling this long true tale of my first traditional hunter- 50 yrs. old, and older. acquired in 1936.
Sut Tatersaul
Personally think that is very cool Sut. No need to forgive anything.
Thanks for sharing!
Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Sut, I'm glad you got those old memories back along with that knife. All the best.
Joe
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Good story Mr Tatersaul. I like it. Stories like that turn history from cotton to corduroy. Gives us texture. Glad it brought you memories and a little joy.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

I have been enjoying this thread since it was begun in 2015 and following along tonight I realized I had not made a single post showing any 1965 and older traditional hunters. I've got several hunters and for sure there are some CASE XX's in the pile. ::hmm:: Here are 2 that are special to me:
The 1st one is a Case my wife gave me our 1st Christmas, 1966. I used it hard and a few years later the pivot pen broke. The knife stayed in a drawer till after I became an AAPK member and found out what to do with a Case that had a broken pivot pen. It has the CASE XX over USA stamp 1964-1969. When Case returned the knife I thought they had sent a new one, it was polished like new! This one still lives in a box with a lot of other old Case knives.
The 2nd one is a Queen #39 that has no stamp. It belonged to an old fox hunter in our community. I got it from his widow, she too has gone on to meet her just reward. This old knife is the real deal, I've owned it probably 25 years and skinned and processed a pile of deer with it, this is my "go to" knife! Hard to see in the picture, but I have had to grind a small EZ open notch to open the secondary blade.
Christmas gift from wife, 1966.
Christmas gift from wife, 1966.
Sweet ol' Queen, mighty comfortable in the hand!
Sweet ol' Queen, mighty comfortable in the hand!
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

treefarmer wrote:I have been enjoying this thread since it was begun in 2015 and following along tonight I realized I had not made a single post showing any 1965 and older traditional hunters. I've got several hunters and for sure there are some CASE XX's in the pile. ::hmm:: Here are 2 that are special to me:
The 1st one is a Case my wife gave me our 1st Christmas, 1966. I used it hard and a few years later the pivot pen broke. The knife stayed in a drawer till after I became an AAPK member and found out what to do with a Case that had a broken pivot pen. It has the CASE XX over USA stamp 1964-1969. When Case returned the knife I thought they had sent a new one, it was polished like new! This one still lives in a box with a lot of other old Case knives.
The 2nd one is a Queen #39 that has no stamp. It belonged to an old fox hunter in our community. I got it from his widow, she too has gone on to meet her just reward. This old knife is the real deal, I've owned it probably 25 years and skinned and processed a pile of deer with it, this is my "go to" knife! Hard to see in the picture, but I have had to grind a small EZ open notch to open the secondary blade.003.JPG004.JPG
Treefarmer
Nice knives and enjoyed the story! Some knives are just really special to us!
Sut Tatersaul

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

Sut Tatersaul wrote:Hi, All:
A few days ago, I bid on and won, at auction, a Marble's Woodcraft hunting knife. It arrived today, by the USPS. It is a true replica of my first Hunting knife. It has been used, and abused, during it's many years of use. I bought it knowing, that it would be in a hard used condition, so, I'm not disappointed. I will have to give it quite a bit of thought, as to how much to clean it up, or whether to leave it, as it is . Now, after 78 years have passed, It seems as though, I have my old "first hunting knife", like I remember it, in my hands again. My original knife, was used by my mother, the last twenty + years, of it's very useful life as her garden knife. It was lost in the shuffle at her estate sale. Lost, but not forgotten. Please forgive me for retelling this long true tale of my first traditional hunter- 50 yrs. old, and older. acquired in 1940.
Sut Tatersaul
I edited, and corrected some mistakes, and an error in the year that I acquired the knife. It was 78 years ago. sorry about the erroneous mistakes, and calculations. my old "pea brain" doesn't always work as it should anymore.

I guess I can't leave, well enough alone. Now, I think that I would like to find a leather sheath for this old knife, to make it's pleasure to me complete. As I remember the leather sheath that came with the knife when I was using it, it was a simple, black leather sheath. I don't remember any stampings, designs, or markings on it. Does anyone have any ideas about where I might find, a suitable original type sheath? Thanks. Here are pictures of my new "pride, and Joy".

Sut Tatersaul
Attachments
DSC02249.JPG
DSC02252.JPG
It's Mind Over Matter, If You Don't Mind, It Don't Matter

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”