Old Knives with Rare Tang Stamps

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
olderdogs1

Old Knives with Rare Tang Stamps

Post by olderdogs1 »

I thought it might be interesting for members to post their old knives, any brand, that had a rare tang stamp. Any old knife that is rare would qualify.
I will get it started off with a W R Case & Son Bradford Jack and a W R Case & Son Jack with the Little Valley Slanted Tang Stamp.

Tom
Attachments
My Pictures004.jpg
My Pictures005.jpg
My Pictures001.jpg
My Pictures002.jpg
My Pictures003.jpg
dcgm4

Re: Old Knives with Rare Tang Stamps

Post by dcgm4 »

Beautiful knives, Tom! ::drool:: I especially like the bone on the Bradford jack. ::tu::
Dave

Always looking for vintage knives with Virginia, Maryland, or Washington D.C. tang stamps. Any condition.
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

Thanks, Dave,
Here are a couple more rare stamps. A Case Brother Springville whittler and a Schatt & Morgan Gowanda, NY.

Tom
Attachments
My Pictures005.jpg
My Pictures007.jpg
My Pictures008.jpg
My Pictures009.jpg
My Pictures010.jpg
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Wabash Cutlery Terre Haute Ind
Attachments
20140904_141638.jpg
file-10.jpeg
file-10.jpeg (26.27 KiB) Viewed 7986 times
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

Great looking knife, that has to be a really rare stamp! Thanks for posting it. ::tu::
Tom
knives-are-quiet

Post by knives-are-quiet »

Hibbard Barlow.

"With a tang stamp just "HIBBARD".

I've never seen another.

JW~
Attachments
Hibbard.jpg
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

Great looking Barlow. Look at those old pins. That stamp must have slipped by Goins, I didnt find it there. I wounded if it was before Hibbard, Spencer & Bartlett?

Tom
dcgm4

Post by dcgm4 »

A Samuel Jackson whittler, a Carlin-Hulfish Co. bull-head, and a John Wentworth & Co. coffin jack.
Attachments
jackson-10.jpg
Carlin-Hulfish Bull-Head.JPG
John Wentworth & Co. Coffin.JPG
Dave

Always looking for vintage knives with Virginia, Maryland, or Washington D.C. tang stamps. Any condition.
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

olderdogs1 wrote:Great looking Barlow. Look at those old pins. That stamp must have slipped by Goins, I didnt find it there. I wounded if it was before Hibbard, Spencer & Bartlett?

Tom
I agree with Tom on the great looking Barlow and on all other knives posted to date. I especially like the Carlin Hullfish. Goins does not show a picture of the "Hibbard", but, he does state in the second paragraph under the HSB section that "they carried a second, cheaper line of knives marked Hibbard".
Dan
Dan
knives-are-quiet

olderdogs1 wrote:Great looking Barlow. Look at those old pins. That stamp must have slipped by Goins, I didnt find it there. I wounder if it was before Hibbard, Spencer & Bartlett?

Tom
I think it is before HS&B.
I remember doing research when I got the knife.
The knife was probably sold by Hibbard Hardware which was before HS&B.
Probably late 1800's early 1900's.

:Some info I found on my computer posted below:
I think someone from this forum sent me it.
It's close to the knife I have but the tang says HS&B& Co.

If anyone out there has another knife with this stamp (post pictures of it).
Any info about my knife would be appreciated also.

Thanks JW~
Attachments
IMG_0157.JPG
knives-are-quiet

Goins does not show a picture of the "Hibbard", but, he does state in the second paragraph under the HSB section that "they carried a second, cheaper line of knives marked Hibbard".
Dan[/quote]

The knife does not look any more cheaply made than a HS&B knife from around the same era.
The knife also shows a lot of age.
I did see one other picture of a knife online with the big H on the bolsters but it had the tang stamp HS&B Co. like the catalog clip I posted in this thread.
I never saw any other with the HIBBARD only tang stamp.
Maybe the knife is from a cheaper line and not that many sold and that could be the reason it's uncommon.

JW~
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

knives-are-quiet, I apologize. I did not mean to imply that your knife was "cheap", or not well made. I does look quite well made, I like it, especially the large H on the bolster. Think that a cheaper line of knives did not mean that they were not as well made, just likely not finished as fancily. Hibbard Spencer & Bartlett was founded in 1855, so you knife could be from them and still show a lot of age.
Regards
Dan
Dan
knives-are-quiet

danno50 wrote:knives-are-quiet, I apologize. I did not mean to imply that your knife was "cheap", or not well made. I does look quite well made, I like it, especially the large H on the bolster. Think that a cheaper line of knives did not mean that they were not as well made, just likely not finished as fancily. Hibbard Spencer & Bartlett was founded in 1855, so you knife could be from them and still show a lot of age.
Regards
Dan
No apology needed Dan.
I know exactly what you meant.
The knife has nothin' fancy about it, more of a work horse knife, That was built tough.
I like the knife also. I carry and use it a lot.
Anyway , anything built economy grade that long ago is like something built high quality today.
Thanks for the info:

JW~
gino

Post by gino »

Great thread and I dig that whittler Tom! ::drool::
-( life is too short to carry a cheap knife )-
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Good thread for sure.

Witcher's book shows this stamp as "" alot less common" than some other CASE Bradford, PA stamps. Notice the apostrophe S. Great condition on this knife. Solid snap and crisp half stops, no wobble with stable handles. Looks unsharpened and the mainblade is full length. Love the coffin and stepped bolsters alot. Sorry, got lost for a minute there...

Due to the dates on all the different stamps, looks to be around 1915' to 1920', all 3 blades stamped differently. The model stamp has the "XX" above the model number. I have seen this also on a TESTED knife, has model number with XX above it.

Jerry
Attachments
CASE'S BRADFORD GS233 front blades open stamps.jpg
CASE'S BRADFORD GS233 Back blades open stamps.jpg
CASE'S BRADFORD GS233 front blades closed.jpg
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

Great knives guys. You know they say case made a cheaper knife when they made the Standard knives that they made in the 20's , but they are the same as the tested knives made in the same era in my opinion.
Thanks for the compliment on the springville whittler. It is the only one I have seen.

Jerry, I have never seen the Case's Bradford stamp. Rare for sure!!

Keep those knives coming, I really enjoy seeing them on a real knife!!

Tom
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Thanks Tom, thought you had seen me post that one before.

CASE BROS. CUT. CO. Arched stamp. Witcher's Page 111 says 1900' to 1912'. Personally never seen another of these but doesn't mean a thing. Not common at the very least I would venture to say.

Second one is not a real rare stamp (1905' to 1920') but I think it is on a seldom seen old 61 pattern. Don't see many of these. I have had opinions that that beautiful smokey pearl was not used back then but who knows. Certainly not the norm, that is for sure. Regardless, it is an old beauty in great shape with some sick colored pearl, in my opinion.
Sweet Gent's knife with the cuticle blade!

Jerry
Attachments
CASE BROS CUT CO Unknown MOP_front side pic 2.jpg
CASE BROS CUT CO Unknown MOP_pile side.jpg
CASE Bradford PA_ 8261_mark side blades open.jpg
CASE Bradford PA_ 8261_pile side blades open.jpg
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

A couple more...

An old "J.D CASE CO. KANE,PA" pearl Lobster marked on all three blades. Interesting how the secondary blades have the stamp sideways due to the width of the tang. Stamp used 1908' to 1911'. Sorry for the crappy pics.

Also, a CASE M100 push button knife. Very unusual font used on this stamp. The XX almost looks like crossbones. Often mistaken for a CASE XX era stamp but it is pre TESTED era, 1905 to 1920'. Stamp mainly used on the M100 for whatever reason but personally have never seen another knife with same stamp but that doesn't mean much.

Jerry
Attachments
JD CASE 8363 front blades open stamp.jpg
JD CASE 8363 front blades open.jpg
JD CASE 8363 front open secondary blades.jpg
CASE XX M100_mark side open.jpg
CASE XX M100_model stamp.jpg
Gerald Witcher's page 158.jpg
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

Great knives, Jerry,
That JD CASE stamp is a rare one for sure. Rare stamp on the metal knife as well.

I will post one I think is rare, dates back in the late 1800's, a THE HATCH CUTLERY CO BRIDGEPORT CT.

Keep those great knives coming!!

Tom
Attachments
008.JPG
010.JPG
011.JPG
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Beautiful old knives from everyone. Tom, that Hatch is a real beauty. I have one too, but it cannot compare to yours. Mine is used up; I bought it for the stamp, and it's a gunstock. I think it's the only gunstock I have.
I hope these qualify as rare.
Thanks.
Attachments
IMG_3750.JPG
IMG_3752.JPG
IMG_3753.JPG
IMG_3754.JPG
IMG_3756.JPG
IMG_3758.JPG
IMG_3759.JPG
IMG_3760.JPG
Joe
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

A couple more.
Attachments
IMG_3762.JPG
IMG_3763.JPG
IMG_3764.JPG
IMG_3765.JPG
IMG_3766.JPG
Joe
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

FRJ, those are all great posts. I have never seen some of them. The H Ville stamp is really unusual. The R I knife co. was only around for a year, 1920-21 according to Goins. Can't be many of those around. ::tu:: .
Thanks for posting them.

Tom
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thanks Tom.
Union Knife Works N.Y.C. was only around from 1911-1913 so that's kind of a lonely stamp too.
The H-Ville is for Hotchkissville, a stamp somehow associated with American Shear.
Hotchkissville is here in Connecticut not far from me.
Are you familiar with the Lawton?
Thanks again Tom. Great thread.
Joe
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

FRJ, those doctors are awesome. That one of the patterns my daughter and I collect. But we don't have any as cool as those. Thanks for posting.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thanks for the nice compliment, David. I bought these on e-bay in April. Never owned a Doctor knife before and these came pretty close together. They're a pleasure to own.
Joe

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”