Sliders anyone?

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Sliders anyone?

Post by Mumbleypeg »

My paternal grandfather, who was born in 1890 and passed away in 1968, carried a two-bladed red handled slide knife in the chest pocket of his bib overalls. The blades operated by a push-and-slide mechanism, each blade capable of locking in three different lengths of opening. He was never without it and kept it razor sharp. I vividly recall when I was a child sitting on the porch swing with him while he peeled apples, whittled, etc. with that knife. I wish I knew what happened to it after he passed. However I have one similar to it (see pictures below) in my collection, except it is black. There is no manufacturer's name on it anywhere that I can see, but my best guess is it was made by Gits. If anyone knows anything about it please advise.

I have picked up a few other sliders as well and am posting pictures of them also.

Have done a search and have not been able to find much about slide knives on AAPK. We need a thread for sliders, so if you have any slide knives, let's see yours!

Ken
Attachments
Double blade slide knife, unknown maker, pocket clip side
Double blade slide knife, unknown maker, pocket clip side
Slide knife in bib overall pocket
Slide knife in bib overall pocket
Double bladed slide knife, unknown maker, push button side
Double bladed slide knife, unknown maker, push button side
Single blade slide knife, marked Autopoint Chicago, Blade by Gits
Single blade slide knife, marked Autopoint Chicago, Blade by Gits
Single blade slide knife with original box, Christy Company Freemont, Ohio
Single blade slide knife with original box, Christy Company Freemont, Ohio
image.jpg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
zp4ja

Re: Sliders anyone?

Post by zp4ja »

Nice ones Peg!

Got a couple.
CASE TESTED PB91050. Large "Push Button" slider at 5-3/8".

Jerry
Attachments
CASE TESTED PB91050 Push Button_mark side blade extended.jpg
CASE TESTED PB91050 Push Button_pile side blade extended.jpg
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Wow! Nice one Jerry. I saw a similar one (Case Tested) at a show several years ago, but it was red. Don't recall if it was this pattern or not though.

Hope other forum members will post some more old push button sliders.

Thanks.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

whitebuffalo58

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

Here's some different colored Gits Sliders, I still need to track down one of the cracked ice versions someday. I have a couple of the Christy's too, I keep one on my keyring.
SANY0005.JPG
WB
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Thanks Ken!

Real classy trio there Rob!!!

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
whitebuffalo58

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

Well thank you Jerry! They're a far cry from that top drawer Case you posted, but they're fun to find in the different colors.

WB
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Here are a few:
First up is a double double ended manicure slider.The slide buttons are on the top and bottom rather than the sides.
Next is a double ender marked Dodson Chicago advertising Frigidaire in 1939.
Last is a group of several different ones and the boxes they came in along with a couple detail shots of the advertising.
Attachments
70213 010.jpg
70213 011.jpg
70213 021.jpg
DodsonChicagoKnife 002.jpg
DodsonChicagoKnife 003.jpg
DodsonChicagoKnife 004.jpg
DodsonChicagoKnife 005.jpg
Sliders1 001.jpg
Sliders1 002.jpg
Sliders1 003.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Couple more pics
Attachments
Sliders1 004.jpg
Sliders1 005.jpg
Sliders1 006.jpg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Some nice ones! Thanks to all who have posted pics so far. Advertising seems to be a common theme on many push-button sliders.

Knife7knut - except for the advertising lettering the pics of that black double-ender of yours look identical to the one I have, including the concentric circles on the push buttons. Does yours have a pocket clip? How were you able to determine DodsonChicagoKnife as the maker? I am not able to find any manufacturer stamped anywhere on the one I have (maybe I just don't know how to identify it?).

Thanks!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Mumbleypeg wrote:Some nice ones! Thanks to all who have posted pics so far. Advertising seems to be a common theme on many push-button sliders.

Knife7knut - except for the advertising lettering the pics of that black double-ender of yours look identical to the one I have, including the concentric circles on the push buttons. Does yours have a pocket clip? How were you able to determine DodsonChicagoKnife as the maker? I am not able to find any manufacturer stamped anywhere on the one I have (maybe I just don't know how to identify it?).

Thanks!

Ken
The pocket clip is stamped "Artisan" which I assume is a model name.The name Dodson is stamped on the inside just to the left of the button.I'll try and take a picture of it but it might be a bit tricky.I also came up with two more(there is a third one around but I don't know where it is);another two blade and a single with the loop on the end nearly identical to the black handled one.There is no name on this one but the one in the box(advertising Golden Guernsey)is stamped Dodson as well.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I examined the one I have again, even used a loupe, but can not find any markings on it anywhere. Guess it will have to be a mystery....... ::shrug::
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Great bunch of sliders you have K7N!!!

I think I only have one more but she is something special in my opinion.

CASE M100. It has a "CASE XX" stamp but is not a XX era knife. This date stamp was used from 1905' to 1920'. It also is a has patent stamp on the pile side tang. Only knife I have with this stamp and the stamp itself is seldom seen, at least by myself.
Superb condition for a ~100 year old knife, in my opinion. Glad to own it.

Regards, Jerry
Attachments
CASE XX M100_mark side open.jpg
CASE XX M100_pile side open.jpg
Gerald Witcher's page 158.jpg
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Nice one Jerry!

Here are a couple that fit the criteria.
Attachments
slide.JPG
slide0.JPG
slide2.JPG
slide3.JPG
slide4.JPG
slide5.JPG
AAPK Janitor
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Nice ones Dimitri!

I have been fascinated by knife designs/construction that does not employ backsprings such as these push buttons and tri-folds.

Regards, Jerry
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Here is the brother to the little slider posted by zp4ja. One of the few knives you will find with the CURLY XX stamp. These little knives can be sleepers as the stamp is hard to see with the blade closed. I had a nicer example of this knife with a mottled cream and black cell handle but it got away from me. Pattern M100.
Attachments
DSC06294.JPG
DSC06295.JPG
DSC06298.JPG
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Here are 2 more.

The black handle is very similar to one posted earlier. It is called an "Artisan Knife" in the included paperwork. One button and 2 short blades.

The knife with the red end is an Autopoint.

Wayne
Attachments
DSC06299.JPG
DSC06300.JPG
DSC06301.JPG
DSC06302.JPG
DSC06303.JPG

Wayne

zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

btrwtr wrote:Here is the brother to the little slider posted by zp4ja. One of the few knives you will find with the CURLY XX stamp. These little knives can be sleepers as the stamp is hard to see with the blade closed. I had a nicer example of this knife with a mottled cream and black cell handle but it got away from me. Pattern M100.
Beautiful example Wayne!

Interesting how your knife frame is more square and mine is more rounded, in the same pattern number and era. I think Dimitri has a metal handled one, not sure which type of frame it is though.

Be curious to know if you or anyone else has seen this exact stamp on another pattern and if so, which one(s)

Regards, Jerry
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

zp4ja wrote:
btrwtr wrote:Here is the brother to the little slider posted by zp4ja. One of the few knives you will find with the CURLY XX stamp. These little knives can be sleepers as the stamp is hard to see with the blade closed. I had a nicer example of this knife with a mottled cream and black cell handle but it got away from me. Pattern M100.
Beautiful example Wayne!

Interesting how your knife frame is more square and mine is more rounded, in the same pattern number and era. I think Dimitri has a metal handled one, not sure which type of frame it is though.

Be curious to know if you or anyone else has seen this exact stamp on another pattern and if so, which one(s)

Regards, Jerry
Jerry,

The Case XX I have with the Cream and Black celluloid was the same as the black I listed. Square ended.

Wayne

Wayne

Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

zp4ja wrote: I think Dimitri has a metal handled one, not sure which type of frame it is though.
Yes I do, but I cannot get to it right now and I cannot remember what the frame looked like ::doh::

Yours is a beauty Jerry, the one I have is pretty rough/worn, I found it in a lot of knives the seller had no idea who made it, neither did I until it arrived and took a good look at it ::nod::
AAPK Janitor
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Miller Bro`s wrote:
zp4ja wrote: I think Dimitri has a metal handled one, not sure which type of frame it is though.
Yes I do, but I cannot get to it right now and I cannot remember what the frame looked like ::doh::

Yours is a beauty Jerry, the one I have is pretty rough/worn, I found it in a lot of knives the seller had no idea who made it, neither did I until it arrived and took a good look at it ::nod::
Dimitri my friend, thanks for the compliment! I think I recall that you mentioned yours is the more squared version in another post based on memory, could be wrong. It is a scarce knife and stamp in my opinion, rough worn or otherwise.

Either way, please post if you can at some point and I hope life finds you well!

Regards, Jerry
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

btrwtr wrote:
zp4ja wrote:
Beautiful example Wayne!

Regards, Jerry
Jerry,

The Case XX I have with the Cream and Black celluloid was the same as the black I listed. Square ended.

Wayne

Wayne,

Thanks for the info and response my friend!

Regards, Jerry
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Here is a custom slider by someone with the initials "E.L.". It is unusual in that it has a button on either side;both of which have to be depressed to enable the blade to slide.The housing is two pieces machined to hold the blade and has ivory Micarta scales. I got it years ago in a trade and have yet to find out the maker.The workmanship is top shelf but it is awkward to deploy.
Attachments
EL1.JPG
EL2.jpg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

All ya'll have posted pics of some real prize winners. Seeing these, I'm sure the red handled Case slider I saw at a show several years ago was an M-100.

On the subject of my original post, I brought the topic up at family dinner (3 generations of my family live here on the ranch - think Duck Dynasty, without the money :lol ) recently. My sister said she has our grandfather's knife, but can't remember where it is! ::teary_eyes::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

have aknife day

Post by have aknife day »

i just got the CASE silver m100 last week....was lucky to have CRACKED ICE p100 for awhile!!
Both are original/uncleaned....near mint :lol:
CASE M100 and P100
CASE M100 and P100
CASE M100 and P100
CASE M100 and P100
CASE M100 and P100
CASE M100 and P100
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Nice find! Those are beauties, and not too common. My grandfather carried a Case M100 (P100?) but his had red celluloid handles, and was well used. I've never seen another like it. :(

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”