Vintage Union Cutlery Co. KA-BAR Knives

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
knife7knut

Re: Vintage Union Cutlery Co. KA-BAR Knives

Post by knife7knut »

This has got to be hands-down the best thread I've seen here in many moons.Thanks to all who took the trouble to post their treasures.I will now wipe the rest of the drool off my keyboard. :mrgreen:
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

That`s a very cool knife Mason :mrgreen: I want it ::tu::
Mason wrote:Great thread M.B. with some fantastic models shown, thanks everyone.
Here is a fairly uncommon Union Cut. Dog Head model with a spring fired swivel lever type action.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Well I finally decided to buy this one so I ent over to the antique shop today to pick it up.Nice full blade but some idiot previous to me(that didn't come out right!)had decided to attempt a "power sharpening".Luckily he didn't do much except scratch the blade.I've been working them out with 220 grit wet-or-dry paper with some success.Taking it a little at a time.
It is(I believe)an early model as the pommel is peened into place.The leather washer handle is in great shape BUT..... it has two holes that go all the way through the handle.One is about 1/2" from the crossguard and about 1/8th inch in diameter.The second is about 1" from the pommel and about 1/4" in diameter. Were these holes originally made in the Mark II's ? I'm not really into military knives so I don't know.
Stampings are,"KA-BAR Olean N.Y." in two lines and "USN" (no periods between letters)on the opposite. Blade was scary sharp and even more so now that I've worked it a bit.No sheath. Paid $45 for it which I don't think was too bad. Probably shouldn't have cleaned up the blade but I like shiny knives and I didn't buy it to flip.
Attachments
KA-BAR MKII USN 001.jpg
KA-BAR MKII USN 002.jpg
KA-BAR MKII USN 003.jpg
KA-BAR MKII USN 003.jpg (47.78 KiB) Viewed 5669 times
KA-BAR MKII USN 004.jpg
KA-BAR MKII USN 005.jpg
KA-BAR MKII USN 006.jpg
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

knife7knut wrote:it has two holes that go all the way through the handle.One is about 1/2" from the crossguard and about 1/8th inch in diameter.The second is about 1" from the pommel and about 1/4" in diameter. Were these holes originally made in the Mark II's ?
The holes were drilled by the previous owner for some reason.
AAPK Janitor
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Miller Bro`s wrote:
knife7knut wrote:it has two holes that go all the way through the handle.One is about 1/2" from the crossguard and about 1/8th inch in diameter.The second is about 1" from the pommel and about 1/4" in diameter. Were these holes originally made in the Mark II's ?
The holes were drilled by the previous owner for some reason.
Thanks Dimitri; people like that should NOT be allowed access to ANY type of power tool! :mrgreen:
Dull

Post by Dull »

About those two holes....they look familiar. I've got a 1884 Springfield rifle with two holes - one in the buttstock the other in the forearm. What for? They were to hang it on the wall! It's a wallhanger! (but, I still shoot it). That may be what happened with your knife. People!!!
A dull blade is indicative of a dull mind.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Dug out a few more, these are called "Expert" in the old brochures, pattern #65, in bone- 665, stag-265, and jigged wood, also listed as a 665. Came with a sheath that fits the blade curve perfectly. Dug out a bunch more but am having problems with lighting for good pics, will post more as I get it together.
Attachments
P3040054.JPG
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Gunsil wrote:Dug out a few more
Keep digging I like seeing these beauties ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

The rare 266 "Primitive" and a 237 "Old Boy", and the rarer 281 "Minute Man, designed by Fred W Smith, noted New England hunter and sportsman.
Attachments
P3090052.JPG
P3090046.JPG
bonehead

Post by bonehead »

Gunsil wrote:Dug out a few more, these are called "Expert" in the old brochures, pattern #65, in bone- 665, stag-265, and jigged wood, also listed as a 665. Came with a sheath that fits the blade curve perfectly. Dug out a bunch more but am having problems with lighting for good pics, will post more as I get it together.
Gunsil, Please ,Please, Please Do not part those out. They are some fine knives. Each one adds to the others, They communicate together ::tu:: Awesome, BH
Bonehead

America's 'FINEST' Vintage Cutlery
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Super rare #667&#267 "Robin Hood" and equally rare "Highlander" model number unknown. Robin Hoods with a unique proper sheath, rarer than the knives. forgot to include the special Highlander sheath. Stay tuned, more to come as time allows!!
Attachments
P3090048.JPG
P3090041.JPG
P3090042.JPG
P3090042.JPG
bonehead

Post by bonehead »

Gunsil wrote:Super rare #667&#267 "Robin Hood" and equally rare "Highlander" model number unknown. Robin Hoods with a unique proper sheath, rarer than the knives. forgot to include the special Highlander sheath. Stay tuned, more to come as time allows!!
Gunsil,

You need a mini Museum! So Cool to see these. Thanks for sharing :mrgreen: BH
Bonehead

America's 'FINEST' Vintage Cutlery
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Nothing old, nothing rare, nothing special but I like 'em. I have some others but they're all "new age" and don't fit here.
Kabar.jpg
Kabar_Loom_Fixer_labeled.JPG
All my Marine Corps Ka-Bar fighting knives are post 1975 so no need to post them here either except for this one. It commemorates the 200th birthday of the USMC and they're kind of hard to come by. It's also the first made when Ka-Bar resumed production of the MK-IIs. (correct me if I'm wrong on that Gene)
Attachments
Photo01151103.jpg
Photo01151100.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
timgreene48

Post by timgreene48 »

Gunsil, AWSOME,AWSOME knives!! thanks for sharing them!
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Gunsil, Awesome knifes. Those Robin Hoods are sweet!

Wayne
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Bill-in-Texas

Post by Bill-in-Texas »

Great topic, & thanks for the education on Ka-Bars... I hadn't reaized so many models were produced.

Here's my modest contribution (from an older posting):

http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... 78&t=35308
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Thanks to all of you for the nice compliments on my old KA-BARS!! I have to start getting ready for the EPKCA show in Wind Gap, PA the 15th, next Saturday, and may not dig out too many more until next week. I hope there are some of you on here that are going. I'll have a table there, would like to meet those here who I don't already know. No, none of the KA=BARs I've posted will be for sale there, but I have many knives I'll be offering other than those. Have a great week everybody, Gene
eyeselect

Post by eyeselect »

This is an OLCUT Union Cutlery knife with a celluloid handle. Open the knife is about 9.5 inches long, and closed it is 5.24 inches. There's a faint stamp on the celluloid that says MAINE. If anyone has any information about this knife I would be interested to to learn about it.

Fun Fact,
Mitt Romney’s great, great grand father Parley Pratt was murdered in 1857 by the estranged husband of his twelfth wife. His murder was a contributing factor to events leading up to the Mountain Meadows massacre a few months later. In September 11, 1857 the Mormons killed 120 people from the Baker–Fancher party who were traveling to Southern California along the Mormon Road (a portion of the Old Spanish Trail). Parley Pratt had a total of 30 children, and his living descendants in 2011 were estimated to number 30,000 to 50,000.
Attachments
olcut-8.jpg
olcut-3.jpg
olcut-6.jpg
olcut-1.jpg
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

eyeselect wrote:This is an OLCUT Union Cutlery knife with a celluloid handle. Open the knife is about 9.5 inches long, and closed it is 5.24 inches. There's a faint stamp on the celluloid that says MAINE. If anyone has any information about this knife I would be interested to to learn about it.

Fun Fact,
Mitt Romney’s great, great grand father Parley Pratt was murdered in 1857 by the estranged husband of his twelfth wife. His murder was a contributing factor to events leading up to the Mountain Meadows massacre a few months later. In September 11, 1857 the Mormons killed 120 people from the Baker–Fancher party who were traveling to Southern California along the Mormon Road (a portion of the Old Spanish Trail). Parley Pratt had a total of 30 children, and his living descendants in 2011 were estimated to number 30,000 to 50,000.
How many Baker-Fancher descendants never had a chance to live because someone got jealous over his twelfth wife ::sotb:: Sounds like the original "Baker's Dozen" ::ds::
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Some more from the vault!! Union Cut Co BEAUTY!! "Faithful", "Trusty" with a stag butt, and "Pathfinder" with a rare green "bowling ball" handle. "Explorer", "no-stain steel Faithful" and GNARLY stag "Bearcat".
Attachments
DSCN1211.JPG
DSCN1212.JPG
DSCN1213.JPG
DSCN1214.JPG
DSCN1215.JPG
DSCN1217.JPG
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

MORE!! Unknown model rare "puuko" style, rare Olcut "Camp King", #676 with a "Viking" etch.
Attachments
DSCN1218.JPG
DSCN1219.JPG
DSCN1220.JPG
DSCN1221.JPG
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

One more, unknown model blade changer with hunter blade, fork, and butcher blade in special sheath which holds it all. Has a lever lock for the blades similar to the KA-BAR switchblades. More to come as I dig them out and get the time to photo and post them. ENJOY!!
Attachments
DSCN1222.JPG
DSCN1223.JPG
DSCN1224.JPG
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Gene, those knives are awesome and so rare to find! ::drool:: ::drool:: ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
bladeguy58

Post by bladeguy58 »

wiseguy wrote:You guys may have seen this one in another topic but HEY ,,,,, I can go here too . Stamped KA-BAR over UNION CUT. CO
I just came upon this post. I know that Union Cut Co made knives for a lot of other companies but this is a Hubertus! What the heck! :shock: I recently acquired a Hubertus that looks just like that but the spring is broken but it's still a nice knife.
Richard
bladeguy58

Post by bladeguy58 »

Ok here are a few of mine and I didn't realize that two of them are Kabar/Union Cut Co! ::super_happy::
Attachments
Ka-Bar/Union Cut Co Scout Knife 1923-1952
Ka-Bar/Union Cut Co Stockman with Celluloid handle1923-1952