Winchester Knife Co

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Winchester Knife Co

Post by stockman »

peanut740 wrote:I don't know if Winchesters were made in the Walden plant,But Keen Kutters were made in the Winchester plant.
Nice knives Roger, I think the 1920 KK is harder to find than the1920 Winchester. I have only seen one of the KK before. Nice old Winchesters in this post.

Harold
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Winchesters

Harold
Attachments
Winchester 2 Bld Jack.jpg
Winchester 2Bld Coke Bottle.jpg
Winchester 1920.jpg
Winchester 2858.jpg
Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

Lloyd, Bill, Roger, and Howard...
Wow! That old bone is beautiful!!!
Thanks for sharing.
https://m.facebook.com/sheepsfootknives/?ref=bookmarks

Instagram: #sheepsfootknivesbytwood
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

stockman wrote:
peanut740 wrote:I don't know if Winchesters were made in the Walden plant,But Keen Kutters were made in the Winchester plant.
Nice knives Roger, I think the 1920 KK is harder to find than the1920 Winchester. I have only seen one of the KK before. Nice old Winchesters in this post.

Harold
Thanks Harold.You are correct about the KK 1920 hunters.I`ve only seen 2 or 3 over the years including the one I have.1920 Winchesters are fairly common,but real good ones are not.I`m on the lookout for etched original Winchesters all the time,but has a whole they are hard to find.You can find at least a 100 etched Remingtons to every Winchester.
Hope to see you in a few weeks in Tulsa. ::handshake::
Roger
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Very few etched Winchesters of the old ones. Some have been re-etched need to watch for that.

Harold
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

So true Harold.A couple of months ago at a gun show a guy took you to a table that had a 1920 he was interesd in.He was concerned it was $400 and had a good etch.Knife had been cleaned and re-etched with a strong dark etch.Original Winchesters etch's were never very dark or deep.
Roger
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Awesome knives Roger, Bill and Harold ::tu:: ::tu:: ...

Roger - The side by side of the Winchester with the Keen Kutter was very cool !! One question- I couldn’t quite read the Keen Kutter model # - was it also exactly the same??

Bill - That is one beauty from end to end !!

Harold - That coke bottle jack and serpentine pen with etch are awesome - the hunter is awful nice too but those other 2 patterns are very appealing !!! The bone is so nice on that pen knife too.. and on the hunter I quite like the jigging pattern the way it was angled from top and bottom from both sides to meet at the shield ::nod::

Given the info that not many were etched I guess I got lucky on the Jr Stock Whittler as the etch was nice and clear (better seen if you click and enlarge that photo) - I’m not a big fan of celluloid (though this has remained stable since I bought it years back) but that knife was hard to resist when I found it at a little shop off the beaten track.
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Thanks Lee

Harold
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Lee I missed your whittler and went back, it is really nice.

Harold
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks Harold ::tu:: ::tu:: ...

Post by Duffer »

Beautiful Winchesters Roger, Bill, Harold, Woodwalker and Lee!

Thanks Lee for some additional dialogue on my queries about the Goins Winchester description and Trade Mark nuances and date ranges. Over on BF Charlie posted some photos of an early Winchester Harness Jack Trade Mark with dashes and a early Napanoch punch showing this Trade Mark was used earlier and perhaps over a longer range of time than Goins shows. I use Goins’ Encyclopedia all the time but I have to remember it is just brief glance/synopsis of a Cutlery timeline that needs more investigation to be more insightful and definitive if such is possible. Thanks Again!!
Lloyd
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

LongBlade wrote:Awesome knives Roger, Bill and Harold ::tu:: ::tu:: ...

Roger - The side by side of the Winchester with the Keen Kutter was very cool !! One question- I couldn’t quite read the Keen Kutter model # - was it also exactly the same??

Bill - That is one beauty from end to end !!

Harold - That coke bottle jack and serpentine pen with etch are awesome - the hunter is awful nice too but those other 2 patterns are very appealing !!! The bone is so nice on that pen knife too.. and on the hunter I quite like the jigging pattern the way it was angled from top and bottom from both sides to meet at the shield ::nod::

Given the info that not many were etched I guess I got lucky on the Jr Stock Whittler as the etch was nice and clear (better seen if you click and enlarge that photo) - I’m not a big fan of celluloid (though this has remained stable since I bought it years back) but that knife was hard to resist when I found it at a little shop off the beaten track.
Yes Lee,both marked 1920. ::tu::
Roger
msteele6

Post by msteele6 »

JAMESC41001 wrote:
msteele6 wrote:One thing about Winchesters is that many of them were made by Walden, therefore many patterns are identical to Keen Kutter's and by studying Keen Kutter's, which are fairly well documented, you can learn something about Winchesters.
I believe Winchester knives were made in the Walden plant but I have not found any supporting documentation to confirm this. Have you seen any such documentation you can direct me to or maybe shed some more light on this. I would much appreciate it as I am studying Honk Falls Knives and have been looking closely at Winchester, keen kutter, Walden and of course Napanoch. As you probably know Honks are a bit Tricky. Any info on this would be a great help.
Jay
All I know is what is in the books e.g. Stewart and Ritchie, Goins et al. They say that Winchester gained control of Walden's plant in August 1922 and moved the equipment to New Haven in September of 1923, therefore there might have been Winchester knives produced in the Walden plant for about 13 months. The knives themselves tell the story more eloquently, regardless of the physical location of their production the fact that the knives were produced by the same people using the same equipment is apparent from a close examination (e.g. peanut's KK and Winchester folding hunters). Sort of a variation on Levines' dictum "read the knife not the tang stamp".
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Thank you for the response. There are some interesting connections. When Winchester acquired Napanoch Knife they purchased eagle knife co. At about the same time. They were interested in Napanoch for their skilled cutlers. Their interest in Eagle was for there modern production line type of equipment. Eagle was owned by Otto Hemming. Carl Hemming was superintendent. In 1904 the Hemming automatic knife grinder was said to be revolutionary at the time. The Hemming bros invented other automatic knife grinders and handle polishers around 1918. A man named Rudolph Wolf made a new grinding wheel using a compound that could be formulated for different finishes. The combination of the two was another big step forward. Contrary to what the books say not all of the equipment was moved from Walden and some knife production continued in some small way until 1927. Interestingly in the auction papers 24 Hemming grinders (12 left hand and 12 right hand) and 98 wheels are listed. A look at the impirial Schrade auction shows 5 hemming grinders listed In 2004!
A297E2EC-481B-4568-BFCE-E53CE4B08E95.jpeg
1D857A83-21D4-4A6A-A79B-1215E0651103.jpeg
BBBE3F3B-9E3E-4581-8494-31F5FFA497F9.jpeg
There is much more to the story of course. Some Rudolph Wolf papers from 1918 are attached. The full Walden auction papers are available on collectors of Schrade. The possibility exists that the kk and Winchester were made on the same equipment in two different places. Also attached is a Honk Falls hunter. Here again the books say all the equipment was moved to Connecticut. Maybe that’s why they all have 5 editions.
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Just in case anyone is interested in the response to that letter.
3226A57E-680E-45F0-A09C-3AB21D93924E.jpeg
BWT

Post by BWT »

Thanks James, very interesting reading!!!
Bill
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

You bet Bill. Glad to here it
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

A lot of good information posted recently, thank you all.

I only have 2 Winchesters in the collection, not an easy knife to find in good condition, this one is a nice bone dogleg without dash marks next to trademark and while both blades marked Winchester the pen uses a different font. If I'm reading the thread correctly this is possibly an earlier made knife.
Attachments
IMG_6381.jpg
IMG_6382.jpg
IMG_6379.jpg
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

John, Nice one

Harold
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

That’s a great knife John. Thanks for posting it
BWT

Post by BWT »

That's a beautiful knife, John ::tu:: ::tu::
Bill
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Great info James ::tu:: ::tu:: .... for me seeing the ephemera and the historical perspective is just as good as seeing any knife in my opinion!! Thanks for taking the time to share and post it!!!

I had heard Eagle was no doubt into mass fast production of knives - I have an Eagle Co Boys knife as an example but don’t have photos (good example of stamp but blade has no snap ;-).... the history though in general as you allude to is quite convoluted for Winchester - between Napanoch, Eagle, Walden than merger with Simmons etc (connection with Keen Kutter) - In a way an interesting area for one to focus a collection just given connections and a collection of knives from those makers would be cool - all those company knives plus Honk Falls which was started by disgruntled old Napanoch employees at Winchester after 2 years in New Haven ...

Awesome Winchester Jack John ::tu:: ... as I read those marked on both blades were higher end but the font on your secondary is interesting to me - differs than that on my bone jack secondary pen - and again not sure when that font was used ...

This thread has been quite enlightening - great discussion on a company that we haven’t discussed much on AAPK ::tu::

Post by woodwalker »

JohnR wrote:A lot of good information posted recently, thank you all.

I only have 2 Winchesters in the collection, not an easy knife to find in good condition, this one is a nice bone dogleg without dash marks next to trademark and while both blades marked Winchester the pen uses a different font. If I'm reading the thread correctly this is possibly an earlier made knife.
Beautiful knife JohnR!!! :D
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

LongBlade wrote:Great info James ::tu:: ::tu:: .... for me seeing the ephemera and the historical perspective is just as good as seeing any knife in my opinion!! Thanks for taking the time to share and post it!!!

I had heard Eagle was no doubt into mass fast production of knives - I have an Eagle Co Boys knife as an example but don’t have photos (good example of stamp but blade has no snap ;-).... the history though in general as you allude to is quite convoluted for Winchester - between Napanoch, Eagle, Walden than merger with Simmons etc (connection with Keen Kutter) - In a way an interesting area for one to focus a collection just given connections and a collection of knives from those makers would be cool - all those company knives plus Honk Falls which was started by disgruntled old Napanoch employees at Winchester after 2 years in New Haven ...

Awesome Winchester Jack John ::tu:: ... as I read those marked on both blades were higher end but the font on your secondary is interesting to me - differs than that on my bone jack secondary pen - and again not sure when that font was used ...

This thread has been quite enlightening - great discussion on a company that we haven’t discussed much on AAPK ::tu::
Lee, I was pretty lucky to find that info. It is a small piece of the research I have been collecting for a collectors guide to Honk Falls Knives that I have been working on for sometime now. As you know there is very little information on this company so all the info has to be collected the old fashion way. I’ve made several trips to Napanoch and Walden visiting museums and libraries and also meeting wile historians and life long residents. Winchester and the associated companies are all studies unto themselves. Add to that the history of the Hudson River valley and edged cutting tool in general and you could fill libraries with the information. Honk Falls Knife had its roots in the industrial revolution. The D&H Canal, electrical power, advances in steel, tariffs, WW1 and the Great Depression all had an influence on these knife companies and how the story played out. It really is a fascinating study if your interested in these sort of things. So far I have been able to photograph 45 different patterns and variations of Honk Falls Knives and two tool kits and as someone posted earlier the knives tell the story. Seeing them and comparing them to Winchester, Keen Kutter, and thier Napanoch predecessors, along with a little background information a clearer picture emerges on this little know yet significant part of cutlery history.
Jay
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

JAMESC41001 wrote:
LongBlade wrote:Great info James ::tu:: ::tu:: .... for me seeing the ephemera and the historical perspective is just as good as seeing any knife in my opinion!! Thanks for taking the time to share and post it!!!

Lee, I was pretty lucky to find that info. It is a small piece of the research I have been collecting for a collectors guide to Honk Falls Knives that I have been working on for sometime now. As you know there is very little information on this company so all the info has to be collected the old fashion way. I’ve made several trips to Napanoch and Walden visiting museums and libraries and also meeting wile historians and life long residents. Winchester and the associated companies are all studies unto themselves. Add to that the history of the Hudson River valley and edged cutting tool in general and you could fill libraries with the information. Honk Falls Knife had its roots in the industrial revolution. The D&H Canal, electrical power, advances in steel, tariffs, WW1 and the Great Depression all had an influence on these knife companies and how the story played out. It really is a fascinating study if your interested in these sort of things. So far I have been able to photograph 45 different patterns and variations of Honk Falls Knives and two tool kits and as someone posted earlier the knives tell the story. Seeing them and comparing them to Winchester, Keen Kutter, and thier Napanoch predecessors, along with a little background information a clearer picture emerges on this little know yet significant part of cutlery history.
Jay
That is some great research Jay ::tu:: ::tu:: ... I love doing that myself - it can take lots of time - a labor of love as they say - but the end result after lots of digging can be quite rewarding!!! Lots of history there as you note and many connections - the sorting when the pieces come together I also find to be quite enjoyable - Best of luck finishing the collectors guide on Honk Falls ::tu:: ::tu:: Look forward to seeing it someday - its nice to see folks like yourself providing more background & clarity on significant aspects of cutlery history that will become a useful resource for many!!

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”