Congress Is In Session!

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Congress Is In Session!

Post by btrwtr »

Here is a big Case USA 6 dot (1974) 6488 congress knife I have had for many years. It is unlike most others in that it is a true lunchbox type knife. Never made it to the final polishing in the factory. Blades are polished but the pins, handles and exposed area of the back springs are left rough.

Many times when I hare the term lunchbox knife it is just a preface for an adulterated or counterfeit knife. I had a pretty respectable bunch of older Case 88 and 52 pattern congress pens at one time and sold them all. I kept this one and newest knife of the bunch because I consider it unique.

I have acquired just a few of these lunchbox knives over the years and feel lucky to have them. I could finish them out to factory like finished products but then they would be just like many other knives.
Attachments
IMG_4779.JPG
IMG_4780.JPG
IMG_4781.JPG
IMG_4782.JPG
IMG_4783.JPG
IMG_4786.JPG
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Nice knives Calvin and Wayne ::tu:: ::tu:: never heard of a lunch box knife - cool!!!

So while Congress is in Session…

Jonathan Crookes (Heart and Pistol Trademark) – Goins lists the Jonathan Crookes stamp from 1780-1827 at which time the cutlery became “& Sons”… Note there is no Sheffield on stamp indeed suggesting a very old knife… The Tweedale account of Jonathan Crookes is indeed fairly complicated but agrees to some extent with the Goins source though Tweedale claims there were two Jonathan Crookes - the first in the late 1700s was the grandfather of the second Jonathan Crookes although even Tweedale notes it is probable but uncertain. He does note both did use the “Heart and Pistol” trademark and the latter Jonathan Crookes was the one who really made that mark famous.

This Congress knife was a 4 blade pattern – MOP (you can still see abit of fire in the MOP in some of the photos) and pinched bolsters with a closed length of 3 5/8”… Blades included a sheepsfoot master, pen and coping blade as well as a manicure blade. Very cool etch on the master sheepsfoot “Senators Knife”… Other than the tang stamp noting only Jonathan Crookes with the “Heart & Pistol” mark underneath there was no notation of Sheffield which indeed suggests an early knife. If I remember correctly I had read that Sheffield did not start appearing on knives until after 1830 but please correct me if I am wrong. Nonetheless another very old Congress knife that is still solid other than some aging (though I am sure someone cleaned it abit somewhere along the way - certainly not me :) )…

Thanks again for looking…
Mark Side DSCN5210 - Version 2.JPG
Pile Side DSCN5223.JPG
Blades Open DSCN5239.JPG
Blade Etch and Tang Stamp DSCN5246.JPG
Tang Stamp DSCN5271.JPG

Post by FRJ »

Lee, what a unique and very old knife. And a bit of history to boot.
Congrats on that one!
Joe
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks Joe ::tu:: ::tu::

One more from me – a 2 Blade Congress…

Griffon Cutlery Works (1893-Present ; note while Goins and Levines index lists to Present I do believe they no longer exist - and online I have read they started in 1888 but either way an old company)... Griffon was headquartered in NYC and was considered a wholesaler & manufacturer under the direction of Albert L. Silberstein who later turned it over to his son Alfred in 1927. The company made knives in both the USA (Bridgeport CT and Worcester MA) and Solingen Germany. They were known for manufacturing both pocket knives and razors (known for their trademarks of Griffon XX and Carbomagnetic). The following link has a few interesting historical links to their sign that still exists in NYC (151 19th St) to this day - www.14to42.net/quik01.html .... In addition click the link within that site to see the old factory site in Solingen Germany no longer in production. According to that site they ended in 1968 at least in terms of their NYC presence. Note the Worcester factory from where this knife was made was only in business for a short time - 1918-1921 (or 1919-1921 as per Goins) and I believe they moved some equipment from Bridgeport to Worcester to set up that factory. One last note and as seen in building sign in NYC - the company later changed the name from Griffon Cutlery Works to Griffon Cutlery Corp in the 1940s (also seen on factory site in Germany).

Griffon XX Worcester 2-Blade Congress - Jigged bone; Sheepsfoot master and Lambsfoot pen... 3 & 3/16""... not an easy stamp to find for Griffon due to their limited production for only 2 or 3 years in Worcester.. but note the Griffon stamp (mythical creature that I believe was German in origin) on back of master tang – that Griffon stamp I have seen on other knives made in Bridgeport but have not seen that stamp on any of their German made knives.

I posted this once before on a different thread but belongs here too - also I'm using a new photo setup so pics are better ::nod:: .. anyway thanks for looking!
Closed Mark Side DSCN5299.JPG
Closed Pile Side DSCN5317.JPG
Blades Open DSCN5333.JPG
Tang Stamp - Mark Side DSCN5400 - Version 2.JPG
Griffon Stamp - Pile Side - DSCN5434.JPG
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Picked up this Maher&Grosh, seller sold it as cleaned but does not appear to be damaged from the cleaning. Stamped on all 4 blades, 4" long, just a real nice looking knife. First vintage Congress I have been able to find for a reasonable price.
Attachments
IMG_7315.jpg
IMG_7319.jpg
IMG_7321.jpg
IMG_7323.jpg
IMG_7325.jpg
IMG_7327.jpg
cbfd

Post by cbfd »

That`s a beauty!Real nice. Bill
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

John, super nice old Congress knife. ::tu:: Do know who might have made it? Miller Bros?
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Thank you Bill, thanks Ralph. Ralph I don't know who made it, the bone does look like some Miller Bros bone I have seen, maybe Roger will chime in with an idea.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Could very well be.I have a Congress in both M&G and Miller Brothers. I have seen both with different shields.I will dig them out and take some pics.
Roger
KAW

Post by KAW »

Wow.... this has got to be a record for the longest Congress has ever remained in session! :lol:

Now for my contribution.... a Walden Knife Co. 2¾” with Mother of Pearl covers.
I picked it up because it is my first MoP & my second Walden.... by coincidence it happened to be a Congress.... :wink:
It has some issues but still a looker.... :)

10127 10128
10126 10125
'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)
espn77

Post by espn77 »

KAW, very nice Congress. Here are a couple Remington's
#1 - R6033
#2 - R6073
#3 - R6123
#4 - R6143
Attachments
20170826_202959.jpg
20170826_202912.jpg
20170826_202853.jpg
20170826_202930.jpg
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

JohnR wrote:Picked up this Maher&Grosh, seller sold it as cleaned but does not appear to be damaged from the cleaning. Stamped on all 4 blades, 4" long, just a real nice looking knife. First vintage Congress I have been able to find for a reasonable price.
John here's a cut out of a 1929-30 M&G catalog with what appears to be your knife.Miller Brothers quit making knives in 1926,but that doesn't mean it wasn't some left over stock from earlier, or someone else made it.
Attachments
20170829_152636.jpg
Roger
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Thank you Roger, love being able to see a knife in a vintage catalog. I was comparing the knife to some of the others in my collection and the bone also looks similar to Winchester bone.
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Here is a R423 Congress jack. 3 3/4. Very light etch.
Attachments
20171122_173945.jpg
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Nice one Keith. Beautiful bone. ::tu::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Thanks Phil. I haven't seen many Congress knives that are jacks??
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

Here is a Canal Street Cutlery Half Congress. Only one I have ever seen

Tom
Attachments
image.jpg
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Here is a Remington half Congress. R4143
Attachments
20170826_202930.jpg
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Here's an oldy but goody.
Attachments
IMG_5547.JPG
IMG_5548.JPG
IMG_5551.JPG
IMG_5552.JPG
IMG_5553.JPG
IMG_5554.JPG
IMG_5556.JPG
Joe
espn77

Post by espn77 »

I like your knife Joe. Does it have a split backspring?
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thanks, Keith.
It sure does. A very fine piece of brass.
Attachments
IMG_5569.JPG
IMG_5570.JPG
Joe
espn77

Post by espn77 »

I like that ::tu:: ::tu::
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thanks, Keith. It's very small. Less than 3".
In fact I'm going to put in a certain thread.
Joe
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Very nice old Congess Whittler Joe! Does that long pull run right up into the tang? Don't recall seeing that before--very interesting. And on both sides of the master blade no less. Lovely yellow brown bone handles. And the same long pull running into the secondary or pen blade tangs? Wow and Wow! I like this one very much ::nod:: !!
Lloyd
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, Lloyd.
Yes, the pull runs through the tang on both sides of the blade. ::tu::
Joe

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”