Old Timber Scribes!

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
Meridian_Mike

Re: Old Timber Scribes!

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Well....
I got my first Timber Scribe yesterday.
This one is a New York Knife Co, Walden NY, Hammer Brand.
I have been looking for a Timber Scribe for a while and now I got me one....Yay for me...LOL.
Here she is....
(seller's pics)

Timber scribe 1.jpg
Timber scribe 2.jpg
Timber scribe 3.jpg
Timber scribe 4.jpg

I figured it was about time to drag this thread back up from the depts.....
Any one else got any Timber Scribes not aleady shown?

:D
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Congrats Mike, those things are always so appealing. I have at least one and have had to resist getting more. Yours is certainly in great shape. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::nod::
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

doglegg wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:58 pm Congrats Mike, those things are always so appealing. I have at least one and have had to resist getting more. Yours is certainly in great shape. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::nod::
THANKS!!

Yep, if you keep your eye peeled, you never know what might float by....LOL.
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

First time I saw one I had to have one. They're just so cool and true period pieces from a bygone era. Long gone now. Congrats! ::tu:: J.O'.
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Some I posted somewhere back in September or October.
L to R: NYK, VOM CLEF, and 2 Camilli.
J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_1430.jpg
IMG_1431.jpg
IMG_1432.jpg
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Glad to see this old thread pop back up :D

Very nice Mike ::tu:: ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Ridgegrass wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:35 am Some I posted somewhere back in September or October.
L to R: NYK, VOM CLEF, and 2 Camilli.
J.O'.
Very 8) J.O. ::tu:: ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Ridgegrass wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:10 am First time I saw one I had to have one. They're just so cool and true period pieces from a bygone era. Long gone now. Congrats! ::tu:: J.O'.
Yep, I was like you.... these FOLDING TOOLS are so unique and COOL that I had one on my want list for a long time. The one I just got had a reasonable "buy-it-now" so I snagged it. And YES, it does make you think of the history of the timber trade.
There are stories in our region of logs being stacked along side the smaller rivers waiting for the winter and spring floods. And when the water got to be high enough they would release the logs and let them float down to the mill.
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

M_M: I was going to PM this to you but didn't know if it would work. Anyway, my great uncles,Rice and Jasper Cook, Pineville, WVA, were timbermen who built "Splash Dams" on the Guyandotte River tributary creeks around the turn of the century. As the snippet below reads, they were built at low water and held the logs till they were "blown" and released to float further down. Many men were drowned at this. Any "Cook" in this snippet is a great-uncle of mine. From your last post I thought you might enjoy seeing it. I know they "Branded" the logs for the companies and I'll bet he had a timberscribe in his pocket! Wish I had his! Hope you can read this okay. :D J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_2450.jpg
IMG_2451.jpg
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Meridian_Mike wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:45 pm
Ridgegrass wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:10 am First time I saw one I had to have one. They're just so cool and true period pieces from a bygone era. Long gone now. Congrats! ::tu:: J.O'.
Yep, I was like you.... these FOLDING TOOLS are so unique and COOL that I had one on my want list for a long time. The one I just got had a reasonable "buy-it-now" so I snagged it. And YES, it does make you think of the history of the timber trade.
There are stories in our region of logs being stacked along side the smaller rivers waiting for the winter and spring floods. And when the water got to be high enough they would release the logs and let them float down to the mill.
Great thread here guys Mike nice Sribe ::tu::
Ridge ,very nice Scribes , do you know anything about the angle of the Scribe . You have 3 with same angle ,and one different. Am just getting into these and need a Camillus for collection , but am curious more about the variety of cutting edges. We live in a valley with the confluence of the Eau Claire and Chippewa River . The whole Valley was logging . Am Currently Communicating with a older fella , with logging background and trying to find out more info for our area museum . Just starting to get into the tools of the period ,we have a whole blacksmith shed, period correct at the museum.
All nice Scribes here guys , Thanks you for sharing ::tu::
JP
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

WOW....
Thanks for posting that about your kin folks.
The part about "many men drown" shows just how dangerous work used to be when men would do most anything to earn money.
AND, yes, I imagine men marking the ends of the logs with their Timber Scribes.....

::tu::
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Ripster wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:59 pm ..... , but am curious more about the variety of cutting edges. We live in a valley with the confluence of the Eau Claire and Chippewa River . The whole Valley was logging . Am Currently Communicating with a older fella , with logging background and trying to find out more info for our area museum . Just starting to get into the tools of the period ,we have a whole blacksmith shed, period correct at the museum.
All nice Scribes here guys , Thanks you for sharing ::tu::
I too am curious about the cutting edge. It appears mine has been sharpened. I am wondering if it was done correctly.

Good luck with your museum..... sounds like a fun project!

Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Thanks Mike , we’re opening this spring in the Paul Bunyan museum. Would like to learn more about Scribes And get a couple for the logging section . We have a bunch of stamps from mills , harnesses, hand saws ,tools ,cants, chains ,tongs ,etc. but no Scribes . It’s been a blast learning and going to the old sites , digging up pics. Loggers liked to show off on Sundays and do show loads for the camera ,it was actually a contest among the camps .
Take care .
JP
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

My wife's Grandfather, Fred Brown , use to skid trees off the mountains around Strange Creek West Virginia. It often resulted in injury to the driver and death to the horses. A great uncle in Arkansas was a 'grader'. He could look at a cut tree and tell you approximately the number of board feet in it. Was a very sought after man by the timber buyers. He was also a circuit walking preacher. He had as many as 5 churches that he preached at. 3 of them were Saturday evening, Sunday morning and Sunday after noon and the other 2 were 5th Sunday churches. His name was Frank Bardwell at Glenwood Arkansas. Interesting thread. Thanks. ::handshake::
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

doglegg wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:31 pm My wife's Grandfather, Fred Brown , use to skid trees off the mountains around Strange Creek West Virginia. It often resulted in injury to the driver and death to the horses. A great uncle in Arkansas was a 'grader'. He could look at a cut tree and tell you approximately the number of board feet in it. Was a very sought after man by the timber buyers. He was also a circuit walking preacher. He had as many as 5 churches that he preached at. 3 of them were Saturday evening, Sunday morning and Sunday after noon and the other 2 were 5th Sunday churches. His name was Frank Bardwell at Glenwood Arkansas. Interesting thread. Thanks. ::handshake::
WOW....
What an amazing man!
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

I'll take a close look at those angles. To be honest, most of the scribes I've seen have more wear on the handle than the blade. Now, are you talking of the edge sharpening angle or the angle between the "blade' head and the shank?
By the way, the English ones I've seen seem to have a shorter blade head than the Americans. Maybe they're just worn down but they're very similar ?? ::shrug:: This is a cool thread ! Love it.
J.O'.
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

doglegg wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:31 pm My wife's Grandfather, Fred Brown , use to skid trees off the mountains around Strange Creek West Virginia. It often resulted in injury to the driver and death to the horses. A great uncle in Arkansas was a 'grader'. He could look at a cut tree and tell you approximately the number of board feet in it. Was a very sought after man by the timber buyers. He was also a circuit walking preacher. He had as many as 5 churches that he preached at. 3 of them were Saturday evening, Sunday morning and Sunday after noon and the other 2 were 5th Sunday churches. His name was Frank Bardwell at Glenwood Arkansas. Interesting thread. Thanks. ::handshake::
Very busy man , and Devoted. That mountain side skidding was about the most dangerous. And your great uncle as a grader had many buyers after them ,many were given there own quarters , and a horse and meals . .
Thanks Floyd ,very interesting read , like that old history with a personal touch. ::handshake::
JP
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Ridgegrass wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:08 pm I'll take a close look at those angles. To be honest, most of the scribes I've seen have more wear on the handle than the blade. Now, are you talking of the edge sharpening angle or the angle between the "blade' head and the shank?
By the way, the English ones I've seen seem to have a shorter blade head than the Americans. Maybe they're just worn down but they're very similar ?? ::shrug:: This is a cool thread ! Love it.
J.O'.
More curious about blade head to shank . Just beginning to look into these and actually looking at purchasing several to donate to our museum. So the more can learn the better , and being a retired Carpenter, it’s very interesting. Have even heard different knives for different species of trees . No proof yet,just talk, and that the angle of head had something to do with it?
Maybe one of our experts in this area can help !
Ridge ,Thank you for your info on the English made ones, interesting!! ::handshake::
JP
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

RIP: I can't say much about the angle thing except that if you look at my pics you'll see the Vom Clef,(Don't know if it's German or English made, looks English, made in both countries), has a deeper angle and a beefier throat between the shank and headpiece. The actual profile section of the blade is a little more of a v-shape compared to the Americans, which approach more of a u-shape. How all that affects the use I couldn't say. Some of the other English ones I've seen have the shorter and wider, u-shaped heads. There are a few posted somewhere on the site, you'll see. Good luck with your museum. Post anything you find out. Thanks. ::tu:: J.O'.

Pics:1) Vom Clef blade section on the left, Camillus on right.
2.) Camillus (top) Vom Clef (bottom)
Attachments
IMG_2460.jpg
IMG_2463.jpg
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Ridgegrass wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:58 pm RIP: I can't say much about the angle thing except that if you look at my pics you'll see the Vom Clef,(Don't know if it's German or English made, looks English, made in both countries), has a deeper angle and a beefier throat between the shank and headpiece. The actual profile section of the blade is a little more of a v-shape compared to the Americans, which approach more of a u-shape. How all that affects the use I couldn't say. Some of the other English ones I've seen have the shorter and wider, u-shaped heads. There are a few posted somewhere on the site, you'll see. Good luck with your museum. Post anything you find out. Thanks. ::tu:: J.O'.

Pics:1) Vom Clef blade section on the left, Camillus on right.
2.) Camillus (top) Vom Clef (bottom)
Very interesting,Thank you Ridge !
It cool looking at these older pieces and seeing how they really were a tool in there day, and do imagine different profiles or cutting edges ,etc , etc.
Will post more info when ,if gathered .
Thanks for the support on the display at existing museum, it’ll be neat ::tu::
JP
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Interesting and informative discussion ::tu::

Here's one I have that has a small scribe for use in a wine cellar or for marking small wooden boxes, etc.
Attachments
s-l1600-54.jpg
s-l1600-51.jpg
AAPK Janitor
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

That's the shape I was referring to. ::tu:: J.O'.
BWT

Post by BWT »

Miller Bro's wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:27 am Interesting and informative discussion ::tu::

Here's one I have that has a small scribe for use in a wine cellar or for marking small wooden boxes, etc.
Very nice Dimitri, hadn’t seen one like that before now. Nice handles!
Bill
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Miller Bro's wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:27 am
That is just a REALLY COOL knife!
Definitely made for use in a fermenter's job. Corkscrew for opening bottles, the scribe for marking barrels, saw and pen blade... VERY COOL.

Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Miller Bro's wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:27 am Interesting and informative discussion ::tu::

That’s a nice piece, that was a useful tool in its day. So as Mike said a fermenters knife,interesting piece. ::tu::
JP

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”