wirejacks

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
singin46

Re: wirejacks

Post by singin46 »

Curious about one thing oregon, how did you completely get the plate inside the liners, to where it settled in place? What kind of tool did you use to push it into place?
Love all Jacks
oregon

Post by oregon »

I spread the wire handle with a screwdriver to make the insert a smooth move (I had my son hold the open blade steady on my desk top with the handle's belly pointed up) and I pulled/pushed the wax paper sleeve and finally a cleaning swab (thin wood with small cotton ends, one end blunt and other end pointy) to manipulate the guard into its final position.
singin46

Post by singin46 »

Ok, Thanks oregon. ::tu:: I figured you had done it like this, which is pretty much like I had. That screwdriver is handy to pry the handles open somewhat.
Love all Jacks
oregon

Post by oregon »

Here's a big Wire Jack Utility Knife #150 with a Bowie blade of chrome vanadium Steel.

Four ounces, 4 3/4" closed & 8 5/8" overall open. Anatomical and comfortable in the hand. Minimalist.

singin46

Post by singin46 »

Very cool, I have one as well but mine is in much worse condition.
Love all Jacks
oregon

Post by oregon »

Thank you singin46. That blade style is one of my favorites: useful belly and pointy tip, plus it is big enough so you have options.

C'mon. Drag it out in front of the lens. Pretty please.

It will do until a better one comes along I betcha.
oregon

Post by oregon »

Just how many different George Schrade Wire Jack patterns are there? The size of the Wire Jack Universe is only...

Five, I believe:

1-3 Utility knives #175 (4" closed), #125 (4" closed) and #150 (4 3/4" closed).
4 Fishing knife #225 (4 3/4" closed).
5 Chow Kit Wire Jack (3 1/4" closed).

Would you count, what would you leave in: The bronze blade (powder monkey/explosives knife)?

What would you leave out: Chow Kit folding fork is not a knife but it has a wire handle and it was made by Geo Schrade...

Are there others to consider?

What do you think?
singin46

Post by singin46 »

This is a pretty complete listing I think Steve. Although it doesn't give you a great idea of color.
http://www.guycard.com/wirejack.htm
Perry
Love all Jacks
oregon

Post by oregon »

George Schrade Wire Jack Patterns, 5

Vetting: All five knives appear in the book by George & William Schrade "George Schrade and His Accomplishments to the Knife Industry" purchased online and the authenticity of my copy was verified by William (Bill) Schrade (see pages 38, 39 & 42). All five knives, except for the #175 Utility Knife Hawkbill, which is a paper image borrowed from the above cited book, are actually in my possession and appear authentic to my eye.

These are ALL of the George Schrade Wire Jack patterns. Five. I've made a ruling.
singin46

Post by singin46 »

Here's my well used Hawkbill example but still very solid in every way.
Attachments
IMG_1937.JPG
IMG_1938.JPG
IMG_1939.JPG
Love all Jacks
oregon

Post by oregon »

Beautiful! Very nice of you to post that photo. You have the guard. Mine is missing its guard, unfortunately. It has that heavy gauge blade. Great blade for pull cuts.
singin46

Post by singin46 »

Thanks Steve ::handshake:: there's lots of pitting on it but it still snaps shut like new. I have tried to remove the red handle insert but to no avail. There doesn't seem to be any way of grabbing hold of it.
Love all Jacks
oregon

Post by oregon »

I use tuf guard in order to stop aging of steel.

The guards on the large Wire Jacks may be set into the handle by pressing the fold of the guard in two places so that these punched out sections of the guard insert themselves into two dents in the handle. Press fit and tight as if glued in place. Once removed I don't know how to re-seat those pushed out parts back into their assigned dents. Yours is a testament to a guard well placed.
singin46

Post by singin46 »

I agree, it's in there for good! ::nod::
Love all Jacks
oregon

Post by oregon »

Updated set of Wire Jacks, to include a better condition #175 Hawksbill with a guard and to better organize the model numbers.

Note: The #125 Spear Point above is a paper cut out. I need a real #125 (good, bad or ugly) for a better photo group shot of the Wire Jacks. Anyone have even a color photo of one? Email me if you can help. Thank you.
singin46

Post by singin46 »

Where'd you find the red insert Steve? ::tu:: ::tu::
Love all Jacks
oregon

Post by oregon »

It is a new hawksbill for me.

I needed one with a guard for the photographic image of the five Geo Schrade Wire Jacks.

Now if I had the Spear Point model the picture would be complete. The paper substitute is better than nothing but not very instructive. Perhaps one will pop up. I'll beat the bushes @ OKCA this April. Maybe Glen will sell me his :)!

Who has a spare?
oregon

Post by oregon »

Wire Jack Utility Knife #175 Hawksbill, heavy gauge blade:

Thank you for looking.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I just love that little anvil. And the knives ain't bad either. ::tu::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
oregon

Post by oregon »

Thank you Jerry.

My lovely wife dragged me along with her to an antique show about a year ago. Quid pro quo, something for something, she has accompanied me to cutlery shows so, well, you know how it goes. I was completely surprised to find vintage cutlery, cannon balls and anvils of all sizes. I came very close to buying a real big and capable anvil, seller would deliver, but I got this one that fit into my pocket ($20 if I remember correctly). There were many small anvils at the show but this one became mine. A great prop for knife pics. If done right the photo can make the knife look huge! :)
UN-X-LD

Post by UN-X-LD »

Very interesting style of knife.
oregon

Post by oregon »

The George Schrade Wire Jack style of folding knife so interested me that I'd like to see all of the variations in the flesh. The simplicity, openness, scarcity of parts and display of genius have pulled me toward the world of George Schrade, a giant from the early cutlery industry, who invented the switchblade and the automatic player piano among other things. Gone from this world since 1940 his contributions continue to travel thru time.
oregon

Post by oregon »

Updated image of the Five G. Schrade Wire Jacks (this version updates the large spearpoint #125 to a paper image of an actual 125 and not a picture from a book, although all knives can be found in the George Schrade book "George Schrade and His Accomplishments to the Knife Industry", kind thanks to Glen Davis for the image of his 125):

Now if I could locate the actual knife I'd feel like I accomplished something. I hope this image helps you.

Thank you for looking.
oregon

Post by oregon »

Geo Schrade Wire Jack Axe, pat. 1-27-42:

oregon

Post by oregon »

This is a fun pattern. 6.2 ounces, just under 4.75" handle and 8 3/8" overall open.

The cutting edge looks pristine to my eye. I cannot see any evidence of battoning on the back of the blade (nor do I see any signs of abuse anywhere on this unusual vintage slipjoint). The red guard is keeping its paint and it is solidly in place. The pivot action is smooth with stops at 1/2 and full open. Notice the complete lack of jimping on the thick-wire handle. Instead, the handle is smooth.

If you have one like this axe, or one of the large spearpoints, please post some photos.

Thank you for looking.

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”