The Venerable Old Barlow

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
dcgm4

Re: The Venerable Old Barlow

Post by dcgm4 »

Really nice Craftsman, John. ::tu::
Dave

Always looking for vintage knives with Virginia, Maryland, or Washington D.C. tang stamps. Any condition.
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey Guys, Thought I would post this RARE knife before it gets away from me, lol.
One of the oldest and Coolest Barlow's I have ever owned to date!!! Truly Amazing find. Exhausting trying to do The correct research because when we find our OWN Mistakes,,,We MUST own up too them, in front of Everyone which makes us/me look like a fool. After owning this knife,,,I must declare my Mistake on a Previous Post!!! Its true Unfortunately,,,So sorry guys.

Here is my BIG Mistake,,,In my other LONG Posting(Page#38), I mentioned "Wrong way Z's" Unfortunately I was the Wrong Z, lmao. I just caught my error this morning. Why didnt you guys say anything??? I will have to go back and Fix them "Wrong way Z's". I will also Point out,,,This CORRECT "Z" trademark knife has INTEGRAL Bolsters and Liners like it should have for such a Super old knife, Right((((So my posting on the 5" Purple background Barlow has the Wrong way Z with No integral bolsters & liners and it was a 5" knife,,,also Mr. Goins Book Lists the Correct "Z" Barlow for Sam'L knives for which was 3 1/4" closed regular size knife))). We of course still dont know All the truth behind these different trademarks BUT we are getting closer.

What I would like to share with Everyone with this particular Barlow is its SIZE. Its about 4 1/8" closed. That is a very Unusual Size(1st I have seen anyways) BUT it makes TOTAL sense in that these EARLY Sheffield Pieces were SMALLER back in the day. For example Most of the Sam'L, Furness, Etc Regular sized Barlows were 3" or 3 1/4" closed and sometimes smaller than 3". So this was there DADDY Sized back in the day,,,Coool huh,,you gotta remember they were use to that Quill Sized 3" to begin with.

I also want to point out the Blade profile difference in this Early Sam'L vs My Spear blade 5" Wrong way Z Purple background knife(Pg# 38).
I do believe Some of the MAJOR Key Components like(Integral Bolsters & Liners, BAR-LOW tang stamp, Size and Blade Profile) are all very important Factors. You remember me saying,,,Some folks say the wrong way "Z" was a trademark by Henry Mills an Ancestor of Samuel from 1851-1881,,,starting to look pretty True to me. Just thinking out-loud. I need more examples and I will furthermore get closer to the Truth behind these "Wrong way Z's". Everyone's input is appreciated.

One more FACTOR with this Particular Blade Profile is that it CLOSELY resembles the Early Quill Pen knives from that Time Period of 1700's to the 1820's AND from the Barlows found on the "1816 Smiths Key". Interesting??
Kind Regards & Blessings my friends,
Mark
Attachments
107.jpg
106.jpg
101.jpg
102.jpg
104.jpg
103.jpg
105.jpg
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey Guys, This is for those who have not had the opportunity to Read this article from c1983. Shows some RARE Barlows that are NOT Pictured anywhere else that I have found, Mr. Levine talking in this article. If you notice that Quill knife((Looks like it says "Barlow" out on the blade)). The Bottom "Barlow" stamped on tang,,,has that "quill blade" curved handle and Extended bolster. Last but certainly not least are the Frary Barlow's and Frary Knives.
Kind Regards
Mark
Attachments
04.jpg
4.jpg
05.jpg
06.jpg
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Mark, that is a wonderful old Barlow, has everything going for it and a very unusual size, love it. The blade profile is similar to one Charlie used for his ancient TC Barlow.
Attachments
IMG_4014.jpg
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey Guys, for the Barlow Lover!! A Daddy Sized Jonathon Crooks w/ Heart & Pistol on bolster. Only the 2nd one I had ever seen, So thought I would post.
Kind Regards,
Mark
Attachments
109.jpg
108.jpg
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey John, yes it is Sir and Many thanks for the Compliments!!! By the way, I LOVE that TC bolster stamp and Your KILLER Furness with Blade etch.
Kind Regards,
Mark
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Here is an unusual one, a 2 blade mini Barlow with a one arm blade, 2 5/8". Made for the FA Bower Company in Germany. These small Barlows are not that common, Schrade did make some but I can't recall ever seeing one with the one arm blade. Pic shows a comparison to a TC 14 Barlow which is a small Barlow itself.
Attachments
IMG_6799.jpg
IMG_6800.jpg
IMG_6802.jpg
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Holy Cow John, That is too sweet my friend!!! And I completely agree that the SIZE is what matters,,,,lmao
Super Rare too see such a small barlow,,,Totally awesome knife
If I may, I had a Miniature barlow last month by Eders Germany and it was about 2 3/4" closed,,,With an attached Bail!! Weird huh,,,,I am sure it was for Keychains
Kind Regards,
Mark
Attachments
55.jpg
56.jpg
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

ratlesnake75 wrote:What I would like to share with Everyone with this particular Barlow is its SIZE. Its about 4 1/8" closed. That is a very Unusual Size(1st I have seen anyways) BUT it makes TOTAL sense in that these EARLY Sheffield Pieces were SMALLER back in the day.
I think at one point there was a "middle" size between the "standard" medium Barlow and the granddaddy 4.75"+ frames. I've seen a couple photos of those mid-range models and I lucked across one about a year ago. At the time I thought I might be overpaying slightly but looking back on it I think I made out like a bandit. It's a Dixon Cutlery "XTRA" Barlow, pictured here next to a "standard" or medium Russell Barlow for size comparison.
26694269666_9e6102ed4a_b.jpg
I also have an old Barlow of this same approximate size from Lafayette Cutlery in Germany, shown here next to a smallish Furness Barlow which almost exactly matches the closed length of the GEC #14.
28080417502_2a7881d9aa_b.jpg
Judging by the bone and hammered pins on both knives, I guesstimate them to be from 1920s-1930s, give or take a decade. They are both approximately 4⅛-4¼" in length closed. Maybe this "large" size of Barlow fell by the wayside as people realized having a small, medium and granddaddy size was probably enough -- seems like even the small ones might be falling out of favor in the larger scheme of traditional folding knives... ::shrug::
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Mr. Tsar, Wonderful X-Tra Barlow you have,,,,Super Rare indeed Sir. LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!!! I never seen one and I appreciate your post immensely
Kind Regards,
Mark
J1890

Post by J1890 »

You guys are killing me ::woot:: with these old barlows. Sweet collections. ::not_worthy::
I have got to set my priorities on collecting.
Keep the pictures coming!
"As for me and my house, we serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15
Brumbydownunder

Post by Brumbydownunder »

Since I started using the "Quick Links" ... 'New Posts' link I am discovering more & more sub threads I haven't visited before... such as this one
DSCN4689.JPG
DSCN4687.JPG
Derek
"Belong Where The Moment Finds You"
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

There are sure a lot of really cool Barlows posted here! I have about half of my Barlow collection still. Had to sell the rest. In my pile of knives I pulled out a few that would show the range in size and shape of my favorite frame. These are not all of my Barlows. Just the ones that were easy to find. The longest is 5 inches closed and the smallest comes in at 2 inches.
20170430_150148.jpg
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

What a super showing of barrows above by all ::tu:: ::tu:: ...

Not sure what you did sell Randy but you still have quite a nice collection showing a real variety of that pattern ::nod::
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Nice batch of barlows, Randy, and as Lee said, very nice variety of size and style represented! ::tu::
Dan
Dan
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Remingtons
Attachments
20170430_171537.jpg
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Blue Grass
Attachments
20170430_172010.jpg
David
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Colonel Coon
Attachments
20170430_172448.jpg
David
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Hibbard Spencer Bartlett & Co. O.V.B. one arm man.
Attachments
20170430_172531.jpg
David
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Robeson
Attachments
20170430_172510.jpg