Farmer's Jacks

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Farmer's Jacks

Post by JohnR »

Great grouping of Farmers Jacks Lyle! Hope you and Jan are doing well.
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Lyle, super group of Farmer’s Jack knives.
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Lovely group of FJs Lyle ::tu:: ::tu:: ... Schrade made some nice FJs as shown in your group ::nod:: - among the many makers did they seem to make more than the others with a greater selection of handles etc??

Post by wlf »

Thanks John, Jerry, and Lee.
Jan’s over cancer treatments, dealing with knee replacement which is painful. She’s toughing it out.

Lee, great question.
Schrade came later than many and lasted longer, but yes they seem to be the most prolific in circulation.

What you see is all I know they produced except for a stag shadow pattern of EA’s which he promised me a picture of. :shock: :shock: :) It came out of a collection from a manufacturing executive. We think it’s probably special.

Schrade’s selection may be greater than any other manufacturer I know of, with Wostenholm right there too.

Schrades:
2 Shadow patterns , one in French ivory and the other in fibestos.

Regular rat tailed bolstered versions in bone, French ivory, and black composition.

Also making the bone version with the beefier pruner and bark loosener.

Wostenholm I expect had a longer tenure than Schrade.
Wostenholm had bolstered stag, bone, French ivory, and black composition.
Bolstered less rat tailed stag and black composition.
Also a gardener’s version ( which I don’t have or have seen other than in a catalog) with a bark opener. I wouldn’t be surprised if there are more.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

wlf wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:52 am Thanks John, Jerry, and Lee.
Jan’s over cancer treatments, dealing with knee replacement which is painful. She’s toughing it out.

Lee, great question.
Schrade came later than many and lasted longer, but yes they seem to be the most prolific in circulation.

What you see is all I know they produced except for a stag shadow pattern of EA’s which he promised me a picture of. :shock: :shock: :) It came out of a collection from a manufacturing executive. We think it’s probably special.

Schrade’s selection may be greater than any other manufacturer I know of, with Wostenholm right there too.

Schrades:
2 Shadow patterns , one in French ivory and the other in fibestos.

Regular rat tailed bolstered versions in bone, French ivory, and black composition.

Also making the bone version with the beefier pruner and bark loosener.

Wostenholm I expect had a longer tenure than Schrade.
Wostenholm had bolstered stag, bone, French ivory, and black composition.
Non- bolstered stag and black composition.
Also a gardener’s version ( which I don’t have or have seen other than in a catalog) with a bark opener. I wouldn’t be surprised if there are more.
Glad to hear Jan is over cancer treatments and wishing her a speedy recovery from the knee replacement !!!

Great info Lyle ::tu:: ::tu:: ... very informative and a nice perspective of FJs to store in my noggin' :D ...

Post by wlf »

I messed up Lee. Wostenholm’s versions all had bolsters that I know of, but they made stag and black composition without rat tails.
My information is from my experience, not absolute fact. It’s true until it’s not. :D
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

Lyle
wlf

Post by wlf »

Thought I would repost this knife in a few places to get other opinions. I find the master blade a Sheffield peculiarity.I thought at first ,someone might have altered a pruning blade, but upon inspection the kick doesn't appear to be altered. This would have to be done to allow the blade seated inside the framework.

Normal farmers jacks with this blade edge would peek out above the frame. Opinions, insights.
Attachments
Thomas Turner069.jpg
Thomas Turner072.jpg
Thomas Turner077.jpg

Lyle
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

That's some gorgeous stag, Lyle!

Those blades look fine to me but I'm not the Farmer Jack guy, sometimes I am farmer John though. :wink:
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
wlf

Post by wlf »

Long funny sheepsfoot.

Lyle
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

wlf wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:02 pm Thought I would repost this knife in a few places to get other opinions. I find the master blade a Sheffield peculiarity.I thought at first ,someone might have altered a pruning blade, but upon inspection the kick doesn't appear to be altered. This would have to be done to allow the blade seated inside the framework.

Normal farmers jacks with this blade edge would peek out above the frame. Opinions, insights.
The master is abit peculiar Lyle ::hmm:: ... Just doesn't look right to me - it looks like it had a good cleaning by a professional at some point and maybe a reshaping?? Nonetheless not a hawkbill and not really a sheep foot so not sure what to call the blade - a hawk foot :lol: :lol: - maybe an original one of a kind FJ master blade :) ... Perhaps the kick isn't altered though I think it may have been possible if it was ground on a slight angle to flow into the tang - but I find it strange that there are no choils on the blades - the kick is slightly down on the spey blade.. It is certainly puzzling based on the master blade ::nod:: ..

Post by wlf »

Thanks again John and Lee. I believe it was made that way, both blades seem full albeit cleaned.
Been suggested that it could have been special order.

Lyle
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Lyle, the master kind of reminds me of a rope knife blade.

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

All I have to add to what you fellers already have pondered, it that it is a gorgeous old knife! :mrgreen:
::tu:: ::tu:: to ya Lyle.
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

Nice to see these again. Going to the Gator show this winter?
1fartsmella
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by 1fartsmella »

Lyle, You are the most dedicated, focused knife collector, with an amazing collection.
This is the only farmer's jack I have kept over the years. I posted photos on Blade Forum a few years back. It's 4 1/4 closed with a folding Ivory budding blade. The master blade is stamped W.G. WHITING / 6 MARKET STREET / MANCHESTER. Likely a retail outfit. Look's like it was made in Sheffield?
Attachments
WHITING FT.jpg
WHITING BK.jpg
WHITING STAMP.jpg
WHITING FCE.jpg
WHITING OPN.jpg
WHITING CLSD.jpg
Barry
wlf

Post by wlf »

Thanks Willy for looking and commenting.

My wife’s had a tough year D, she’s wanting to take a warm vacation after the holidays. I’d like to see you and Mike again. Maybe.

Barry, you’ve got your own spectacular collection. I think I have emailed you enquiring about that knife before. Thanks for the kind words.

Lyle
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

wlf wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:02 pm Thought I would repost this knife in a few places to get other opinions. I find the master blade a Sheffield peculiarity.I thought at first ,someone might have altered a pruning blade, but upon inspection the kick doesn't appear to be altered. This would have to be done to allow the blade seated inside the framework.

Lyle, here is a page from Maher and Grosh pamphlet, posted by Olde Cutler in the catalog pages thread, back on Nov 1. I hope he does not mind me reposting it to this thread. It shows a similar knife to yours, calling it a budding and grafting knife. Not a Sheffield knife, but still very similar. It is shown on the second post in the attached link.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=42557&start=195
farmer_jack.jpg
Dan
wlf

Post by wlf »

Thanks Dan ,they are similar. Grinders varied on all the pruning blades I've seen. :) . I wonder who made those M&G knives advertised? Maybe Roger knows ?
I have that M&G ad too. I am pretty sure it's an original blade and a budding and grafting blade too.

Lyle
Pile Driver

Post by Pile Driver »

I cleaned up my old Utica some what. Food grade mineral oil, 0000 steel wool lots of elbow grease and working out the grime from the joints. Has a good amount of snap and spring tension now. I love it, I don't have anything else like it in the collection.
utica.jpg
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

wlf wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:19 pm Thanks Dan ,they are similar. Grinders varied on all the pruning blades I've seen. :) . I wonder who made those M&G knives advertised? Maybe Roger knows ?
I have that M&G ad too. I am pretty sure it's an original blade and a budding and grafting blade too.
At 75¢ each I'm going to order up a few 100, I'll make sure you get one. :wink:

wlf

Post by wlf »

Me too John. :)

Might as well show the spey blade too Dan, and have that knife in another picture by itself. :)

Lyle
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

wlf wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:19 pm Thanks Dan ,they are similar. Grinders varied on all the pruning blades I've seen. :) . I wonder who made those M&G knives advertised? Maybe Roger knows ?
Looking again, I believe the M&G knife is smaller than your regular farmer jacks. The cut says it is shown actual size. Assuming a width of about 11" for the page, measuring off my computer screen and doing a ratio calculation, I get the M&G knife at about 3 1/2".
Dan
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Nice Utica, Pile Driver! ::tu:: Full blade and great bone!
Dan
wlf

Post by wlf »

danno50 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:10 am
Looking again, I believe the M&G knife is smaller than your regular farmer jacks. The cut says it is shown actual size. Assuming a width of about 11" for the page, measuring off my computer screen and doing a ratio calculation, I get the M&G knife at about 3 1/2".
Yes , that’s about right. I think one came up for sale and I didn’t bid, Roger C was going to bid on it.

But the point being, those blades were used on some budding and pruning knives instead of a hawkbill.

Lyle
wlf

Post by wlf »

The eBay description when it was sold said almost 4". I remember it smaller too. ? We could ask Roger.
Here's pictures of it Dan:
Attachments
Maher and Grosh a.jpg
Maher and Grosh b.jpg
Maher and Grosh c.jpg
Maher and Grosh e.jpg

Lyle

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”