Harness Jacks

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
MrBlister

Re: Harness Jacks

Post by MrBlister »

Good L@@KER there Charlie !!!!!
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Charlie that's a fine looking knife. I love the bone handles. ::tu::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Here are three that I have:
Camillus 64
Kutmaster 4 blade.
HSB
Western
EDIT: Not sure I can classify the Kutmaster as a harness jack as it has 4 blades rather than the usual 3.
Attachments
Camillus64 3.jpg
KutmasterRepair6.jpg
OVBHarnessJack1.jpg
OVBHarnessJack3.jpg
WesternStockman 001.jpg
WesternStockman 003.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
dcgm4

Post by dcgm4 »

My first harness jack is an unusual one. ::super_happy::
Attachments
Utica Harness Jack 1.jpg
Utica Harness Jack 2.jpg
Utica Harness Jack 3.jpg
Dave

Always looking for vintage knives with Virginia, Maryland, or Washington D.C. tang stamps. Any condition.
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

That is one unique Harness Jack Dave ::tu:: ... in fact the pivot bolster is obviously quite unique as well and right up your alley ::nod:: :) ... celluloid handles so guess it will have a home to itself - what is the maker stamp on that knife?? :) ... very cool :D

Post by dcgm4 »

Thanks a lot, Lee. :D The tang stamp is worn but I'm pretty sure it's made by Utica. I can read Utica, NY and I believe I can see remnants of Utica's "UTK Supreme" trademark stamped on the tang. Yeah, the handles are celluloid. Luckily they appear to be stable, but it'll have to be quarantined anyways just in case. Hopefully they'll stay stable. ::pray::
Attachments
UTK Supreme Trademark.jpg
UTK Supreme Trademark.jpg (24.46 KiB) Viewed 2525 times
Dave

Always looking for vintage knives with Virginia, Maryland, or Washington D.C. tang stamps. Any condition.
wlf

Post by wlf »

That is a cool knife and a pretty rare stamp Dave.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
dcgm4

Post by dcgm4 »

Thanks, Lyle. :D
Dave

edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Dave, that Utica is crazy cool.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
dcgm4

Post by dcgm4 »

Thanks a lot, David. :D I really like the pattern, and the celluloid handles pushed it over the top. It was one of those knives where I saw it and immediately knew I had to have it.
Dave

ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey Guys, One of my recent Pick-ups is this IKCo Harness jack. Very sweet knife & Powerful
Thx for looking
Mark
Attachments
101.jpg
102.jpg
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey dcgm4, Neat Harness jack there buddy. I have owned a couple of those many years ago,,,Called a Dog-Bone and The ones I owned were stamped Cattaraugus you know!! Smiling
Kind Regards,
Mark
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Very interesting and unique knife, Dave! ::tu:: ::tu:: Unique bolster and interesting celluloid pattern.
Nice IKCO harness jack, Mark, great condition! ::tu::
Dan
Dan
kerryh

Post by kerryh »

Here's my favorite Harness Jack, (thanks Mark). It's an early Winchester with a Napanoch punch. You can get a copy of original patents at;

http://www.google.com/patents

Great site.
Thanks,
Kerry
Attachments
FullSizeRender (003).jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg
Napanoch Punch Patent.png
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Killer KILLER knife Mr. Kerry and Its surely a Rare HARNESS JACK!!! Wonderful example to be shown on this thread. Can you perhaps show a "Book" picture of the Winchester model# to go along with the knife??
Thx Danno for the Compliments Sir
Kind Regards,
Mark
kerryh

Post by kerryh »

Thanks Mark. You are the master knife hound when it comes to finding unique, genuine knives!

I hope to post a book picture tomorrow. Attached is a list of patent dates and numbers for different knife companies. It's a good way to help verify knife authenticity.
V/R
Kerry
Attachments
IMG_2585.PNG
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Great Posting!!! Wonderful to have those Patented Punch blade dates in this Harness Jack section.

Great Job Sir & Welcome to AAPK!!!

Kind Regards,
Mark
dcgm4

Post by dcgm4 »

danno50 wrote:Very interesting and unique knife, Dave! ::tu:: ::tu:: Unique bolster and interesting celluloid pattern.
Thanks a lot, Dan. :D
ratlesnake75 wrote:Hey dcgm4, Neat Harness jack there buddy. I have owned a couple of those many years ago,,,Called a Dog-Bone and The ones I owned were stamped Cattaraugus you know!! Smiling
Kind Regards,
Mark
Thanks, Mark. :D I've seen pictures of those Cattaraugus knives with the dog-bone bolsters. The bolsters were different from my knife (they were more unusual and cooler). That's a knife I've always wanted, but sadly I haven't been able to acquire yet.
Dave

kerryh

Post by kerryh »

IMG_2726.JPG
IMG_2730.JPG
IMG_2737.JPG
002[1].jpg
001[1].jpg
Here's the book picture for the Winchester harness,2660. Note the extra middle pin and different punch.
Also the source document for the punch patents.
V/R
Kerry
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

dcgm4 wrote:
danno50 wrote:Very interesting and unique knife, Dave! ::tu:: ::tu:: Unique bolster and interesting celluloid pattern.
Thanks a lot, Dan. :D
ratlesnake75 wrote:Hey dcgm4, Neat Harness jack there buddy. I have owned a couple of those many years ago,,,Called a Dog-Bone and The ones I owned were stamped Cattaraugus you know!! Smiling
Kind Regards,
Mark
Thanks, Mark. :D I've seen pictures of those Cattaraugus knives with the dog-bone bolsters. The bolsters were different from my knife (they were more unusual and cooler). That's a knife I've always wanted, but sadly I haven't been able to acquire yet.
Dave you are RIGHT SIR and thank you for jogging my memory,,,Them HANDLES looked IDENTICAL to the Catt Dog Bone that I once owned. It was about 7yrs ago that I owned it and Honestly, Have never seen another one sense then. I didnt realize how Scarce they were,,someone got a good deal from me, LMAO. Live & learn huh!!!! hahahah
Mark
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Finally got a few decent photos of this Waterville Harness Jack (3 & 1/2")... brass liners, cutout in liner and scales to accommodate the pull of the punch which is evident in mark side and blades open photos (just above shield), Federal Shield and jigged bone... solid and tight old knife with really strong springs... Thanks for looking!
Closed Mark Side DSCN7152.JPG
Closed Pile Side DSCN7166 2.JPG
Blades Open DSCN7191 2.JPG
Tang Stamp DSCN7280.JPG
Punch Mark DSCN7203 3.JPG
Punch Pile DSCN7233.JPG

Post by FRJ »

That's a beautiful old antique there, Lee. ::tu::
It's in great shape for a work knife. ::nod::
Joe
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks Joe ::tu:: ::tu:: ... no doubt that master blade saw alot of use though the shape is good (not abused despite the blunted tip) but quite frankly I don't think it was ever sharpened - I think who ever owned it just kept using it for years without giving it a clean sharp edge - at least it seems that way when looking at it, and funny thing is it still can cut ::nod:: :D ...

Post by steve99f »

Have this newer Schatt & Morgan HJ to contribute with nice wormgroove handles.
Attachments
Schatt & Morgan HJ b.jpg
S and M Harness Jack b.JPG
steve99f
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Nice HJ Steve ::tu:: ::tu:: ... worm groove bone is one of my favorites :) ...

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”