Broken, Battered, Beat-Up, Bruised But Beautiful Old Knives

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Re: Broken, Battered, Beat-Up, Bruised But Beautiful Old Knives

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

This was the knife that taught me not to buy cheap knives on ebay that have bad & blurry pictures. I saw this large stockman and thought to myself, "Wow a large stockman with orange bone for $15, how bad could it be?" As it turns out, pretty bad. The front wasn't so bad, and would look better with a cleaning, but the reverse & the liners... ::facepalm::
IMG_20180101_094906.jpg
IMG_20180101_094937.jpg
IMG_20180101_094958.png
IMG_20180101_094958-2.png
IMG_20180101_095156.jpg
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

It's beat up, sharpened down, chipped, there's a strange bit of surface damage to the pile side bone, and the frame is even the tiniest bit bent. But the blades have authoritative half-stops and snap both ways (despite the slightest liner rub from the master), they are SCARY sharp, the bone is mostly intact, and the chips happened so long ago that they're just as pocket-worn as the rest of the knife. My little Bostwick Braun Co. (Toledo) pen knife:
39435293561_c9a14a6229_k.jpg
39405058972_ee59b61635_k.jpg
This little fella has some stories to tell. ::tu::
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
TwoFlowersLuggage

Tsar Bomba wrote: This little fella has some stories to tell. ::tu::
I think the only story my Case has to tell is about the day it was run over by a truck, left in the gutter and washed into the sewer...
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote:I think the only story my Case has to tell is about the day it was run over by a truck, left in the gutter and washed into the sewer...
Frankly when you showed it off I figured it would be a good carry knife. Could use some #2 pencil work in the blade well to scrape out the rust, some mineral oil on the bone, flitz on all the outside metal bitz, then perhaps a soft toothbrush and some soapy water for a final cleaning. Oil the joints and drop it right into a pocket. ::shrug:: If the price was right you'll end up with a heck of an EDC. Give it some new stories to tell in the years ahead! ::nod::
TwoFlowersLuggage

This one is not my knife, it's currently on ebay, but I just cringed when I saw it. I'm betting this poor little guy had a previous owner who also owned an electric knife sharpener.
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600-1.jpg
s-l1600-2.jpg
Jabb

Post by Jabb »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote:This one is not my knife, it's currently on ebay, but I just cringed when I saw it. I'm betting this poor little guy had a previous owner who also owned an electric knife sharpener.

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600-1.jpg
s-l1600-2.jpg
Ouch that does hurt to look at! I hope someone gives it some love with New blades and possibly new scales. I'll post some of mine in a bit! ::woot::
Josh
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

That old knife makes me smile. It is pretty old to start with and the fact that it is worn down beyond the "quick" so to speak, tells me the owner of this knife liked his knife and he got his money's worth as evidenced by the homemade EO notch and the reshaping of the kick so it wouldn't stick him as he reached for it in his pocket. The knife is at least 54 years old and maybe as much as 74 years old according to the tang stamp. Wish I could see a full picture of it to know for sure what pattern it is. ::hmm::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
espn77

Post by espn77 »

He sure saved the pen blade for his "special use only" blade.
Jabb

Post by Jabb »

Howdy yall! As promised here a some of mine. :lol:

1) Utica 3 Blade Scout. I cleaned it up and put a nice edge on it.
2) No Name 4 Blade Scout. This one still needs work, big time!
3) Imperial 2 Blade Jack Knife. This knife has a broken Tang on the main blade but is still a great user.
4) Hibbard Spencer and Bartlett Barlow. Well Loved!

Hope yall enjoy!
Attachments
3 Blade Utica... Very Nice user!
3 Blade Utica... Very Nice user!
No Name 4 Blade Scout
No Name 4 Blade Scout
4 Blade Scout no name.jpg (9.04 KiB) Viewed 3517 times
Imperial Broken Tang on main blade
Imperial Broken Tang on main blade
Imperial broken tang.jpg (8.13 KiB) Viewed 3517 times
H.S.B. Barlow
H.S.B. Barlow
H.S.B. Barlow.jpg (8.4 KiB) Viewed 3517 times
Josh
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

not sure if I posted a pic of the blade on my Case xx Barlow ::tu::
20180110_145751.jpg
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,
Jabb

Post by Jabb »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote:This was the knife that taught me not to buy cheap knives on ebay that have bad & blurry pictures. I saw this large stockman and thought to myself, "Wow a large stockman with orange bone for $15, how bad could it be?" As it turns out, pretty bad. The front wasn't so bad, and would look better with a cleaning, but the reverse & the liners... ::facepalm::

IMG_20180101_094906.jpg
IMG_20180101_094937.jpg
IMG_20180101_094958.png
IMG_20180101_094958-2.png
IMG_20180101_095156.jpg
I think you did perty good! I like it!
Josh
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Josh, I tend to agree with you on 2Flowers knife. It just needs a little TLC. I suppose that knife was lost outside and the bone got chipped and the springs are rusty, could they be carbon instead of SS. Just wondering about the rust in the well? I've an older Trapper that has a stainless spring and a carbon spring. ::shrug::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
TwoFlowersLuggage

I am going to work on that large stockman - I just need some time and motivation to do it. I've never tried to do anything more to a knife other than just light cleaning and buffing, so the rusty well of that knife has me a bit intimidated. I just need to realize that it's just a $15 knife not a piece of the Ark of the Covenant, so it's a perfect specimen to give it a try! Any advice or links to videos or instructions would be appreciated!
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

CAUTION, the following pictures may be traumatic to some of you. I found this old cattle knife tangstamped Ulster Knife Co. in a box of junk. I just cleaned it up enough to see the tangstamp and the handle type and color. I was struck by the color of the covers, even tho the knife is beyond any and all help. I am calling them "Crimson Celluloid". Also another testimonial to Kroil, it only took the Kroil an hour to get this one open enough to see the tangstamp.
IMG_1979.JPG
IMG_1980.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
TwoFlowersLuggage

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote:This was the knife that taught me not to buy cheap knives on ebay that have bad & blurry pictures. I saw this large stockman and thought to myself, "Wow a large stockman with orange bone for $15, how bad could it be?" As it turns out, pretty bad. The front wasn't so bad, and would look better with a cleaning, but the reverse & the liners... ::facepalm::
I spent some time working on the orange stockman. Once I got the grit out of the pivot, there is now a ton of blade play. I can also see that the entire knife is warped, giving more evidence to my suspicion that this knife was probably run over by a car. This is already getting to be above my skill level. I don't think I can handle complete disassembly, straightening and re-pinning, and I don't think the condition of the scales, bolsters and liners is worth having someone else do it. I think I have a parts knife...
LanG

Post by LanG »

CIMG7135.JPG
a collection from "junk lot" purchases. some day I hope to put new life into a couple-
Lan
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

You have some interesting stuff in there, that Valley Forge looks like an easy fix if you can find a blade ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
LanG

Post by LanG »

Miller Bro's wrote:You have some interesting stuff in there, that Valley Forge looks like an easy fix if you can find a blade ::tu::

Thanks, I think that will be the first one to repair. The main blade has a bunch of superficial scratches, but has a strong snap and no wobble. I'll search for a second blade...
Lan
TigerWolf_Rosebud

Post by TigerWolf_Rosebud »

20171212_050819.jpg
.a really.old Townsley. I really know nothing about it or the age but it is definitely old and well worn
20171212_050819.jpg
I'm actually looking to trade or sale for something that is not a project. I am not set up for repair
Attachments
20171212_050813.jpg
Knife collecting Deadhead :mrgreen:
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Someone got their money's worth out of that one :o
AAPK Janitor
Berryb

Post by Berryb »

I added one to this pile yesterday and I finally figured out what I look for in a knife (I couldn't locate the thread by that name). This is the bunch I have out so I can see all the time. It seems intact handles are the most important, blade wear less so- as long as they're not snapped in half. I like old ones and no plastic handles of any kind. Thanks
Bruce
Attachments
DSC_0004.JPG
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Some real beautiful knives there Bruce!
AAPK Janitor
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Received this from my neighbor a couple years ago. She told me she paid $1.00 for it!
Attachments
IMG_6307.JPG
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

A couple of Case parts knives I recently obtained. The Case folding hunter has had the clip blade reground into a double edge point "dagger". Done with an electric grinder of course. The trapper was almost abused to death.
IMG_2120.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Couple old worn ones but still have nice looking bone, a Buster Brown scout and a New York Knife CO pen.
Attachments
IMG_8650.jpg
IMG_8654.jpg
IMG_8656.jpg
IMG_8657.jpg
IMG_8659.jpg
IMG_8662.jpg

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”