Old Keen Kutter Knives

Keen Kutter was first used as a knife brand by Simmons Hardware Company in 1870. The trademark was used on the highest quality tools and cutlery Simmons offered.
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Old Keen Kutter Knives

Post by danno50 »

Lloyd, thanks very much for the kind comments.
Dan
Dan
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

A+ Dan. ::tu:: ::tu::
Roger
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Awesome knife Dan ::tu:: ::tu:: .... A knife in that condition is hard not to like in every respect :) ...
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Dan that surely does favor an Empire! Beautiful knife. ::tu:: ::tu::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Here is a 3.5 inch Congress pattern I acquired a while back. It is catalog number 4577 (pg. 214 in Sellens) incised on the back or pile side of the primary sheepfoot. If it ever had KEEN KUTTER etched on the primary sheepfoot it is gone. The folder may have been lightly buffed prior to when it came into my possession. Never looks to have been sharpened post production and all blades are completely full.
Attachments
IMG_1344.jpg
IMG_1345.jpg
Lloyd
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

thanks for the comments Roger, Lee and Greg. Beautiful congress, Lloyd!! ::tu:: ::tu:: I love that bone and the curved bar shield!
Dan
Dan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is an E.C. Simmons Keen Kutter # K2245, a 3 1/2" Swell Center jack which i won on ebay from seller Mark who is an AAPK'er. Excellent example, never used, yet it received little bidding which was good for me but rather unfair to the seller.
I cannot see any reason why most KK collectors stayed away from this one. Can you ?
kj
Attachments
Picture 022.jpg
Picture 023.jpg
Picture 025.jpg
Picture 026.jpg
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Beautiful knife KJ ::tu:: ::tu:: ... I have no clue either why someone who collects KK would not bid on it - I can't imagine there are many out there in that condition and a nice pattern as well!!

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks Lee. Yes, the Swell Center jack is a popular pattern. I think jigged bone is more sought after but this wood is very attractive and condition is close to as good as they get.
kj
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

That is a very nice knife, Roland. ::tu:: ::tu:: It also puzzled me as well as to why that one sold so reasonably. I watched the auction tick down and was prepared for a flurry of last minute activity, was very surprised when yours was the only bid in the last few seconds?

edited: to remove comments which would have been better posted in another thread.
Dan
Dan
Rockman0

Post by Rockman0 »

Just got this one recently, it didn't see much use, nice, tight and snappy ::tu::
Attachments
VgY3t5J.jpg
Regards,
Rob
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Rob, very nice KK Barlow ::tu:: Beautiful Saw Cut honey brown handles and the SF and Pen blades look full and nice!
Lloyd
Rockman0

Post by Rockman0 »

Duffer wrote:Rob, very nice KK Barlow ::tu:: Beautiful Saw Cut honey brown handles and the SF and Pen blades look full and nice!
Thanks Lloyd! The sheepsfoot has a half stop but the pen doesn't. I found that interesting. I'm on the fence on whether or not to sharpen it and put it in the daily rotation or not. The SF is so thin it's going to be hard not to make if a user. :D
Regards,
Rob
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Is this an E.C. Simmons Keen Kutter ?
If not can you tell if it is a Shapleigh Hardware knife or a knife made by Schrade-Walden for 'True Value' hardware ?
I have not yet got the Keen Kutter branded knives figured out.
kj
Rockman0

Post by Rockman0 »

The diamond on the tang only says keen kutter. I'm sure that it's not ec Simmons but once Shapleigh took over I'm fuzzy on what stamps were used.
Regards,
Rob
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Lovely knife, Rob, ditto what Lloyd said! ::tu::
Pretty sure it is a Shapleigh knife, not an EC Simmons. Could not find a barlow with a sheepsfoot blade in Sellens. However, Sellens only had 3 Shapleigh catalogs to go on: 1940, 1942 and 1958.
Dan
Dan
Rockman0

Post by Rockman0 »

Thanks Dan! The pre Shapleigh knives have EC Simmons at the top of the diamond but I wasn't sure if the post Shapleigh had their name included or not.
Regards,
Rob
KAW

Post by KAW »

Well I finally made it though the entire thread in hopes that my inquiry may have already answered here.... and WOW!.... what a great thread! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: Very informative & fantastic photos! 8) ....but I didn't get full resolution to my quandary. ::uc::

As a collector of knives originating from Walden, NY.... sometime, hopefully in the near future, I would like to obtain a Keen Kutter that is from there. Therefore, my question is.... is there a definite way of telling which Keen Kutters were made in Walden?
'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Ken, according to at least two sources (Sellens and Collectors-of-Schrades_R.us) all Keen Kutters made between 1905 and 1922 were made by Walden. Sellens looked at all available Simmons catalogs and his book documents the dates each pattern was in the catalogs. Catalogs were not put out every year, so it is not perfect. For example, there was a 1921/1922 catalog, but no 1923 catalog. Sellens lists many patterns as being in the catalogs from 1905 to 1923. I assume when he says in the catalogs up to 1923 that the pattern was in the 1921/1922 catalog, but not in the 1924 catalog.
If you find a Keen Kutter knife, listed by Sellens as being made sometime prior to 1923, it should be Walden made. Not 100% definite, but I don't believe you will get any more definite method.
Please note that my Keen Kutter knowledge comes mostly from the book, as many catalogs as I can find online and paying attention to what others more knowledgeable than myself post. I personally have only about 30 Keen Kutters, and have handled maybe another dozen at the one knife show I have been to.
Dan
Dan
KAW

Post by KAW »

So in other words.... I should get the book.... or perhaps I can find a library where I can borrow it....
Thanks Dan for your helpful input.
'til later....
Ken

danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

KAW wrote:So in other words.... I should get the book.... or perhaps I can find a library where I can borrow it....
Thanks Dan for your helpful input.
Here is one pretty cheap on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Keen-Kutter-Poc ... SwhMpZoRXm

If you don't want to buy the book, there are many AAPK members who do own the book. I am sure if you posted a prospective Keen Kutter purchase that someone would be willing to look it up for you to see if it may be Walden made.
There is an AAPK member with a large Keen Kutter collection. He has posted tips for distinguishing Winchester and Camillus made Keen Kutters. However, I have not seen any posts mentioning any things to look for in a Walden made Keen Kutter? I have looked through the book extensively and am unable to determine any distinguishing characteristics of a Walden made Keen Kutter.
There was a post in the Counterfeit forum in which ea42 stated that for two blade jack, the pen blade should always be in front of the master blade for a Walden knife. I assume this should also apply to a Walden made Keen Kutter? Maybe just one thing to look for??
Dan
Dan
KAW

Post by KAW »

Saw this on the Bay & was wondering if anyone can tell what period of their history this box is from... maybe what knife?
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1601.jpg
s-l1602.jpg
'til later....
Ken

danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

KAW, according to the number on the box end, 02074, it is a 3 3/8" pen knife, with one spear and one pen blade. In the catalogs between 1927 and 1934. I have attached a pic from the 1930 catalog reprint. Just noticed, is stainless steel. There are two pages (16 knives) with stainless steel in the 1930 catalog.
Dan
Attachments
DSCN4135.JPG
Dan
KAW

Post by KAW »

Dan....Thanks so much for that excellent info.... its like having the Keen Kutter wikipedia ::tu::
'til later....
Ken

danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Just got this one. K4063, 3 1/4". Etched pattern number still visible, but difficult to photograph. Coined backs on the scales. The crack at the front of the shield was not there when I received the knife. I dropped it on the garage floor. ::dang:: ::dang:: ::dang::
Dan
Attachments
RIMG1085.JPG
RIMG1086.JPG
RIMG1087.JPG
RIMG1088.JPG
RIMG1089.JPG
RIMG1090.JPG
Dan

Return to “Keen Kutter”