Empire Knife Company

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
Duffer

Re: Empire Knife Company

Post by Duffer »

Thanks Greg, Joe and Lee! Also, thanks Joe for posting the additional photographs of some nice DE knives--more evidence of the HDW versus the HDWE tang marking pointing to producer. I looked at my Shapleigh DE folders more closely this morning. The DE folders with the distinctive peach seed handles are quintessential Schrade and have the HDW on the tang and the prototypical Empire looking DE folders have the HDWE on the tang. The jury is still out on this but it seems very plausible that this could be an indicator of the manufacturer. I think most seasoned vintage folder collectors could just tell by looking at the DE example in question but this just adds another interesting piece or sign via the tang stamp pointing to the origin question. Lloyd
Lloyd
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Duffer wrote:Here is what I believe to be an Empire produced Shapleigh HDWE DE Serpentine or Dog Leg small Jack. It is 3.125 inches closed. Look at the tang stamp or marking. I have come to learn through another Shapleigh DE collector's observations that those produced by Schrade had hardware abbreviated as HDW on the tang where those produced by Empire had hardware abbreviated as HDWE. It also has that Empire look to it. Anyway, thanks for looking your comments or thoughts are appreciated. Lloyd
Great information! Thanks!
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Here is a comparison that seems to fortify this little tidbit of evidence. The pearl whittler is a Shapleigh with the Hdwe stamp. I tried to win it last night but got out bid in the final second ::tear::
The bottom knife is a bone Empire whittler that I have looks like an exact match.
Attachments
$_3 (58).JPG
$_3 (59).JPG
20170724_173616.jpg
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Two nice Empire Whittlers Greg! I think I would lean towards your example as I just love pick bone handles! Not to take away from the pearl example just my taste in vintage folders. I saw that DE Whittler on EBay and there was definitely some interest. I bid on it earlier but was outbid and never got back to it again until it was over. I think your example is in better condition and the fact that it is clearly marked Empire would put it at a premium over the pearl one I think. Lloyd
Lloyd
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Duffer wrote:Two nice Empire Whittlers Greg! I think I would lean towards your example as I just love pick bone handles! Not to take away from the pearl example just my taste in vintage folders. I saw that DE Whittler on EBay and there was definitely some interest. I bid on it earlier but was outbid and never got back to it again until it was over. I think your example is in better condition and the fact that it is clearly marked Empire would put it at a premium over the pearl one I think. Lloyd
Thanks Duffer! I would have liked to have had that pearl whittler but I couldn't justify going any higher. If you look at the blades though you can see it is an exact match though. Mine is marked with a pattern #928 one of the few Empires I have with a pattern #.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Greg more proof that the Shapleigh DE HDWE branded knives are Empire produced! Thanks for the additional evidence, Lloyd
Lloyd
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Ok boys, if you need a COA for any of your Empire knives you can get these Empire letterheads from our buddy Eugene at a bargain basement price. ::facepalm::
http://m.ebay.com/itm/182685760898
Attachments
$_1 (16).JPG
$_1 (16).JPG (19.42 KiB) Viewed 4143 times
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

gsmith7158 wrote:Ok boys, if you need a COA for any of your Empire knives you can get these Empire letterheads from our buddy Eugene at a bargain basement price. ::facepalm::
http://m.ebay.com/itm/182685760898
::dang:: ::dang:: ... he always has good prices :roll: .... anyway check the last 3 photos of that auction... huh.. maybe I'm missing something ::nod::
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Lee looks like he was running out of ink on his printer. :D
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Here is an Empire Stabber Jack I scored awhile back but I finally took some photos. The blade is not a saber grind but it is noted in Levine’s that stabber jacks were not necessarily saber grind blades (aka poor man’s daggers) but also single spear point blades .. all were regular jacks between 3 &1/2” to 4” (there were 2 references to stabber jacks in the jack knife section – in any case nice double swedge on a bigger single blade in all examples)… I like stabber jacks as they remind me of jumbo Boys knives ;-)) …

This Empire at 3 & 3/4” has brass liners and pins with a horn handle (and no bug bites - always nice to find horn with no bug damage :D … I believe the tang stamp is abit more rare but can use some opinions – “Empire Knife Co / W Winsted / CONN” – at least compared to those stamped Empire / Winsted / CT which are seen most often (and on the majority of my Empire knives as well)… Be great if someone can help shed some light on the possible dates when this tang stamp was used?? Goins does not have this exact stamp listed and he only notes one with W Winsted but Empire / W Winsted / CT (1880-1930) and not “Knife Co” nor “CONN” … but in reading about Empire history it seemed early knives used this stamp (at least W Winsted) and then it was used again in the later 1800s when W Winsted again became a site of the shop (post 1880) - but in truth not clear to me among references… I am just guessing (maybe hoping :) and I can be wrong but I’m thinking this stamp was earlier than later, even though later is still pretty old :wink: .… but any info would be much appreciated!! I know for many companies best we can do with tang stamp dating is just a range of dates and sometimes hard to pinpoint a range other than the company’s dates of existence.

Thanks!!
Lee
Closed Mark Side DSCN8238.JPG
Closed Pile Side DSCN8242.JPG
Blade Open DSCN8264.JPG
Tang Stamp DSCN8271.JPG
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Lee that's a great one! I only have one with the W. Winsted marking. A kind of reverse dogleg Jack. Here is a similar Jack in cocobello.
Attachments
20170829_164515.jpg
20170829_164428.jpg
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

That is a real beauty, Lee. Glad you got some pictures of it and gave it a show.

I have a W. Winsted and it may be on this thread but don't know where. Maybe I'll get new pictures of it.
Joe
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks Greg and Joe ::tu:: ::tu:: ..

Interesting knives Greg ::tu:: ::tu:: .. never have seen an Empire like that reverse dogleg... what is the closed length? The stamp is somewhat different and think if I see it correctly the same as the W Winsted listing in Goins... That 2 blade regular jack is sweet - love those tribal spear blades on Empires ::tu::

Post by FRJ »

Here is a new photo of my W. Winsted. This knife is 4 inches long and has Rosewood? covers.
A very strong knife as you would expect from Empire.
Attachments
DSCN8984.JPG
DSCN8987.JPG
DSCN8988.JPG
Joe
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Great looking knife Joe ::tu:: ::tu:: ... and same stamp as mine - does it have "CONN" underneath W Winsted? Interesting that it also has the match striker long pull!! Guess that would be a stabber jack with a clip blade - and I like that long swedge and how the pull is located just underneath....

Post by FRJ »

Thanks Lee, I don't think it has the "CONN". If it does it's hidden by the bolster.
Joe
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Those are some beautiful knives you are posting up guys. You don't find those Empires just laying around do you? I just love those grinds on the blades.
steve99f
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thanks Steve. These knives are real treasures from back in the day. ::tu::
Joe
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Here's an old used Empire. Not a bad knife as a swell center whittler with stag covers and rat tail bolsters.
This thing is actually kind of sweet at 3 5/8".
Thanks for looking.
Attachments
DSCN9948 (1).JPG
DSCN9953.JPG
DSCN9955 (1).JPG
DSCN9958.JPG
DSCN9960.JPG
DSCN9962.JPG
DSCN9964 (1).JPG
DSCN9965 (1).JPG
DSCN9968 (1).JPG
Joe
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Cool knive Joe.Great stag! ::tu::
Roger
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thanks so much, Roger. ::tu::
Joe
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Wow Joe. I don't have any Empire knives but if I was ever to run across one like that I'd sure get it. Awsome stag.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thanks Keith, if you acquire a decent one you will not be disappointed.
They are a fine old stamp and a fine old folder.
Joe
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Joe you don't see a lot of Empires with stag handles. That is quite a find! Absolutely gorgeous! Congratulations on that one. ::tu::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Beautiful knife, Joe.
Congrats!
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two