The Napanoch Knife Company Napanoch N.Y.

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
woodwalker

Re: The Napanoch Knife Company Napanoch N.Y.

Post by woodwalker »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:28 pm Yesterday I added this pocket knife to my collection. It's an Ulery U11, single blade, hawkbill pruner(?) pocket knife. This is the description that is in Goins. "ULERY NEW YORK USA. This marking was seen on an all-metal knife made on the Allen Cutlery Company patent. It was made by the Napanoch Knife Company about 1917-1919." It received a gentle cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is.

For more information on the ALLEN CUTLERY COMPANY, click on this link (it's safe, it's AAPK):
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=7445

***** A VERY VERY SPECIAL THANK YOU goes out to Steve B., aka bladebuddy, for his thoughtfulness and generosity in giving me this knife. THANK YOU Steve. :D ::tu:: ::handshake:: *****
Cool knife Skip! Nice of bladebuddy to gift it to a great knifer and person! Enjoy Skip! :)
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

woodwalker wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:19 am Cool knife Skip.....
Thank you Kevin. ::tu::
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
richard

Post by richard »

knife7knut wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:11 pm
knifeaholic wrote:
You were smart to turn this one down...a fake made out of a German knife...in my opinion.
You think so Steve?It looked pretty good to me but I've been fooled before.Here are some more pictures of it including the tang stamp.I don't know if he still has it or not but if it is a fake I would like to let him know.BTW all the blades were stamped if I recall correctly.
i think you are correct steve. i have the exact same knife stamped. soligen germany
knifegnome
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifegnome »

I played our Mystery knife game for real on Ebay Sunday evening.I was skimming along on ebay and saw a knife I immediately thought was a Napanoch X100X or a Winchester 1920 ,the auction title was" Two horn handled pocketknives no names ,rusty. The photos were average but good enough to convince me the knife was what I thought.I received the knife today poorly packaged but intact.I finally got one of my "Grail" knives the Napanoch X100X.
I added a little oil and the full blade has excellent snap.I have to clean up some rust ,I know some of you guys soak your knives so I will need recommendations on what works best.I definitely feel I won the mystery game today.
Attachments
P9161421.JPG
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Congratulations knifegnome! Great looking survivor, the blade itself is real nice.
steve99f
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Great find Scott! Looks a lot like the North American Cutlery coke bottle I have. Same shield and jigging but the pulls are different. I’ve thought mine was probably made by Phoenix, but now I’m not so sure. ::shrug:: It would be interesting to compare them side-by-side. The blade on yours appears to have more belly, but I suppose it could have been sharpened down on mine. Choils and other aspects of the blades appear to be the same or at least similar. Opinions welcome.

Ken
Attachments
8DFEF455-9DFF-4A3D-B81C-72134A579CF7.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

knifegnome wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:14 pm I played our Mystery knife game for real on Ebay Sunday evening.I was skimming along on ebay and saw a knife I immediately thought was a Napanoch X100X or a Winchester 1920 ,the auction title was" Two horn handled pocketknives no names ,rusty. The photos were average but good enough to convince me the knife was what I thought.I received the knife today poorly packaged but intact.I finally got one of my "Grail" knives the Napanoch X100X.
I added a little oil and the full blade has excellent snap.I have to clean up some rust ,I know some of you guys soak your knives so I will need recommendations on what works best.I definitely feel I won the mystery game today.
Happy for you, how satisfying is it to find one you have been looking for. Congrats. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::tu::
rustyoldknife
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by rustyoldknife »

knifegnome wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:14 pm I played our Mystery knife game for real on Ebay Sunday evening.I was skimming along on ebay and saw a knife I immediately thought was a Napanoch X100X or a Winchester 1920 ,the auction title was" Two horn handled pocketknives no names ,rusty. The photos were average but good enough to convince me the knife was what I thought.I received the knife today poorly packaged but intact.I finally got one of my "Grail" knives the Napanoch X100X.
Great Catch knifegnome ::tu:: ::tu::
David
rustyoldknife
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by rustyoldknife »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:23 am Great find Scott! Looks a lot like the North American Cutlery coke bottle I have. Same shield and jigging but the pulls are different. I’ve thought mine was probably made by Phoenix, but now I’m not so sure. ::shrug:: It would be interesting to compare them side-by-side. The blade on yours appears to have more belly, but I suppose it could have been sharpened down on mine. Choils and other aspects of the blades appear to be the same or at least similar. Opinions welcome.

Ken
Ken your knife sure looks like a distant cousin to knifegnome's ::hmm::
David
Pile Driver

Post by Pile Driver »

Very cool, I was actually bidding on that one early, with the same thought you had. I lost track of it, good to see it posted here. Is this a lock back? One concern I had was it looked like a broken spring in the picture, that rust was for real too. Price it ended up with seems reasonable.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:23 am Great find Scott! Looks a lot like the North American Cutlery coke bottle I have. Same shield and jigging but the pulls are different. I’ve thought mine was probably made by Phoenix, but now I’m not so sure. ::shrug:: It would be interesting to compare them side-by-side. The blade on yours appears to have more belly, but I suppose it could have been sharpened down on mine. Choils and other aspects of the blades appear to be the same or at least similar. Opinions welcome.

Ken
Ken,your knife was definitely made by Phoenix Knife.The tight matchstrike pull is the tell.All the Phoenix made knives O have encountered have the same design.
This Napanoch example in a late version, not long before being sold to Winchester.Earlier ones had double pulls.
Roger
knifegnome
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifegnome »

Very cool, I was actually bidding on that one early, with the same thought you had. I lost track of it, good to see it posted here. Is this a lock back? One concern I had was it looked like a broken spring in the picture, that rust was for real too. Price it ended up with seems reasonable..

Piledriver: Not a lockback and spring is good,a good amount of the rust I was able to scrape off, has a small crack at the center pin.Has an alligator snap.
Scott
KAW

Post by KAW »

Nice save Scott from what could have easily been a lost piece of history. ::tu:: 8)
'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)
knifegnome
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifegnome »

Thanks for all the compliments.
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Today I add this catalog to my general cutlery ephemera collection.
It is the "NAPANOCH KNIFE BOOK" by Rhett C. Stidham. It's from the
early 1970's(?) and it's 28 pages of everything NAPANOCH. I'm not sure
if it's an original or if it's a reprint, but then again, I don't care.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (26.76 KiB) Viewed 3468 times

Skip
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

I am with you there, Skip. Original or reprint - either way it is great!
(But let's assume it is original until proven otherwise!)
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Reverand wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:42 pm I.....
Thank you Reverand.🍻

Skip
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

3 1/4"
Attachments
20210123_150010.jpg
20210123_150028.jpg
20210123_150139.jpg
20210123_150304.jpg
Ike
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Lovely! Wow! ::tu::
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Great find on the Napanoch book, Skip! ::tu::
That is a beauty, Ike! ::tu:: ::tu:: Love that bone!
Dan
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Waukonda wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:19 pm3 1/4"
Ike, beautiful!!
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Waukonda wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:19 pm3 1/4"
FANTASTIC Ike! ::tu::
danno50 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:48 pm Great.....
Thank you Dan.🍻

Skip
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

Thanks Floyd, Dan, David, and Skip!
Ike
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Ike ::tu::
Roger
KAW

Post by KAW »

I'm ::drool:: ::drool:: ::drool:: ::drool:: all over the place... hang on... let me get a towel... Okay...
Ike that is a SWEEEEEEEEEET knife!!! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Very 8) ...
'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”