Lets show some Old and Rare ones.

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Lets show some Old and Rare ones.

Post by djknife13 »

wlf wrote:Nice Dave, what's the length?
It's 5 1/2 inches. Dave
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Wabash Cutlery Terre Haute IN
Double end serpentine jack.
Celluloid handles.
Attachments
20181020_195447.jpg
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Watch fob knife.
Celluloid handles, also celluloid shield.
Attachments
20181020_195602.jpg
David
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Bone handled sleeveboard.
Attachments
20181020_195528.jpg
David
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

djknife13 wrote:Samuel Wragg Furnace Hill Sheffield with Sphered blade from the 1840's___Dave
Awesome score on the Wragg knife Dave ::tu:: ::tu:: Beautiful stag on a nice big knife - blade looks to be excellent as well!!! It looked like the blade had the old stove pipe or as some call it - "top hat" - kick too... Wragg was a very desirable old Sheffield maker - made some nice old Bowies too!!!
edge213 wrote:Wabash Cutlery Terre Haute IN
David - All those Wabash knives are nice but the jigged bone sleeveboard is a beauty ::tu:: ::drool::
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

LongBlade wrote:
djknife13 wrote:Samuel Wragg Furnace Hill Sheffield with Sphered blade from the 1840's___Dave
Awesome score on the Wragg knife Dave ::tu:: ::tu:: Beautiful stag on a nice big knife - blade looks to be excellent as well!!! It looked like the blade had the old stove pipe or as some call it - "top hat" - kick too... Wragg was a very desirable old Sheffield maker - made some nice old Bowies too!!!
edge213 wrote:Wabash Cutlery Terre Haute IN
David - All those Wabash knives are nice but the jigged bone sleeveboard is a beauty ::tu:: ::drool::
Thanks Lee,
My Terre Haute knives.
W.H.Bear razor.
2-W.R.B. (upper left & upper right).
The rest are Wabash.
Attachments
IMG_20181020_200125799~2.jpg
David
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

djknife13 wrote:
wlf wrote:Nice Dave, what's the length?
It's 5 1/2 inches. Dave
Beautiful old Wragg, Dave. ::tu:: ::tu::
Joe
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Added these recently , the Hollinger and Capitol Cut Co don't seem to show up all that often, the NYK is a common tang stamp but I have seen few of these small teardrop's.
Attachments
IMG_9442.jpg
IMG_9443.jpg
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

John, I like all three but really like the ebony. ____Dave
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

All those knives are NICE John ::tu:: ::tu:: .. No disrespect buddy and just my opinion but not sure I would call them tear drops - I think they are Regular Barehead Jacks - to me the tear drop jacks have more of a curve towards rear bolster and a more rounded curved rear bolster (below just for comparison and easier to see than explain is a Challenge Tear Drop Jack for comparison that I no longer own - though it went to a good home :) - hope you don't mind John and not for anything other than an example ... anyway love the bone on the Hollinger and Capital but in truth that NYK is really sweet (I agree with Dave!!) - great wood and very cool shield with sweet blades ::tu:: ... I think they are all boys knives - Are they all +/- 3"??? - that NYK would be a sweet addition to any boys knife collection - like mine :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: ...

Challenge Teardrop Jack - just for my opinion of a teardrop pattern jack -
Challenge S_E Jumbo Jack DSCN8673A PS.jpg
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

LongBlade wrote:All those knives are NICE John ::tu:: ::tu:: .. No disrespect buddy and just my opinion but not sure I would call them tear drops - I think they are Regular Barehead Jacks - to me the tear drop jacks have more of a curve towards rear bolster and a more rounded curved rear bolster (below just for comparison and easier to see than explain is a Challenge Tear Drop Jack for comparison that I no longer own - though it went to a good home :) - hope you don't mind John and not for anything other than an example ... anyway love the bone on the Hollinger and Capital but in truth that NYK is really sweet (I agree with Dave!!) - great wood and very cool shield with sweet blades ::tu:: ... I think they are all boys knives - Are they all +/- 3"??? - that NYK would be a sweet addition to any boys knife collection - like mine :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: ...

I don't mind at all Lee, love the discussion on all the knives everyone posts as I learn a lot that way. I did hesitate to call it a Tear Drop as the swell is not as pronounced as on a larger knife.
They are close to boys knife size, the Hollinger and the NYK are around 3 1/4" while the Capitol is 3 1/2".
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

JohnR wrote:
LongBlade wrote:All those knives are NICE John ::tu:: ::tu:: .. No disrespect buddy and just my opinion but not sure I would call them tear drops - I think they are Regular Barehead Jacks - to me the tear drop jacks have more of a curve towards rear bolster and a more rounded curved rear bolster (below just for comparison and easier to see than explain is a Challenge Tear Drop Jack for comparison that I no longer own - though it went to a good home :) - hope you don't mind John and not for anything other than an example ... anyway love the bone on the Hollinger and Capital but in truth that NYK is really sweet (I agree with Dave!!) - great wood and very cool shield with sweet blades ::tu:: ... I think they are all boys knives - Are they all +/- 3"??? - that NYK would be a sweet addition to any boys knife collection - like mine :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: ...

I don't mind at all Lee, love the discussion on all the knives everyone posts as I learn a lot that way. I did hesitate to call it a Tear Drop as the swell is not as pronounced as on a larger knife.
They are close to boys knife size, the Hollinger and the NYK are around 3 1/4" while the Capitol is 3 1/2".
Cool John ::tu:: ... no doubt I would call them all boys knives based on pattern and size - the Hollinger and NYK right on the money at 3 1/4” and the Hollinger at 3 1/2” would be considered the largest size of a Boys Knife according to the definition based on research of catalog cuts advertising them... very nice John - I said it once and will say it again - “you have great taste in knives and you have one fantastic collection from all I have seen for a long time now!!!” - great stuff John - I always look forward to what you find and show next my friend!!!
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

Here is a odd one, marked on the main blade tang is Gilt-Edge Warranted. There is a patent date on the frame Nov 11,1884. Any help on what it was used for and who made it would be great. Mike
Attachments
Gilt1.jpg
Gilt2.jpg
Gilt3.jpg
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Some really nice knives on this page. Mike that Gilt-Edge is over the top.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Mike, that Gilt Edge is indeed an unusual one, and a great find. ::tu:: I once (40+ years ago, and it was probably an antique then) had a tent repair kit that had an awl with a similar shape and hole like the secondary has. Made for repairing canvas and other heavy cloth materials (tarps and tents). Think of it as a heavy-duty needle, for pushing heavy stitching through layers of thick cloth. So that and the master blade shape makes me speculate it's for sail or tent making or repairing. ::hmm:: ::shrug::

I'm probably wrong though. Where's Dimitri when you need him? :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Very cool find Mike ::tu:: ... Knrled metal handle and no doubt a unique small blade...

I think Ken is on to something ::nod:: - looking at the blade with the hole and shape sure suggests that it is used for sewing and based on size it must be for a heavy material .. makes sense to me unless we hear different ...
Silver Tier

Post by 1fartsmella »

galvanic1882 wrote:Here is a odd one, marked on the main blade tang is Gilt-Edge Warranted. There is a patent date on the frame Nov 11,1884. Any help on what it was used for and who made it would be great. Mike
Mike, I was the # 2 bidder on this one. I think it is a sailors knife that had a Marlin spike that screwed in at the bottom. The Sheep foot blade made me think nautical. Barry
Barry
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

I was thinking sails as the material which would make sense based on Barry’s thoughts... I would think if for the water though perhaps the handle would be brass but not necessarily I guess...

Is there thread in the hole on end where something could be screwed in like a marlin spike? Maybe the auction photos had that photo ::shrug::
Silver Tier

Post by 1fartsmella »

Barry
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

For posterity. Very interesting construction.

Ken
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (15.56 KiB) Viewed 2928 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (19.63 KiB) Viewed 2928 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (18.1 KiB) Viewed 2928 times
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

Thanks guys and I can see what you mean about the one blade that can be used for punching holes in sails etc. Barry sorry it was you who was the second bidder and never thought it would be a marlin's spike screwed into the bottom. I was thinking that a handle of some kind was screwed to it??

Have you ever seen one with the spike screwed in?

Wish I knew who the maker was.
S2K

Post by S2K »

Hi all, I just found this thread so haven't worked through it. While likely not my oldest, this trio certainly looks the part. From the top a Colonial, Camco and Imperial. The Imperial is not nearly as well made as the others, and has thin covers with severe chips but all three still have plenty of snap.
Attachments
IMG_20181206_205841674~2-979x823.jpg
IMG_20181206_210143536~2-979x1305.jpg
T.J.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

What you have there Mike is the handle to a whip. The whip is the part that is obviously missing it was removable so the knife could be carried in your pocket when the whip was not being used or you needed the knife blade or the awl. Being a horse related item it was designed with an awl to repair harnesses and such. That's why the awl is so thick and heavy duty.

All I have seen so far were missing the original whip.

My kind of knife! ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

Thanks Dimitri, do you have the abstract or patent page for it?
1fartsmella
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by 1fartsmella »

I think it would be cool to see a photo of one. I tried google, but had no luck. Barry
Barry

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”