Lets show some Old and Rare ones.

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
JAMESC41001

Re: Lets show some Old and Rare ones.

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Wow!
BWT

Re: Vermont Cutlery Co.

Post by BWT »

I posted this in new pick ups, then thought about this thread. Turner and Jepson, Sheffield, maybe 1800s??? Excellent snap and half stops for its age, thought maybe someone had repaired it the way the pins are cut off??? Not experienced enough to know for sure.
Attachments
20180502_194702.jpg
20180502_194652.jpg
20180502_194732.jpg
20180502_194856-1.jpg
Bill
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Yessir!!
Joe
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Nice knife Bill, great old pattern. I have a few of them and for some reason the pins in that pattern seem to want to turn a little over the years and I think all of my show the pins a little.___Dave
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Beautiful old knife, Bill! ::tu::
Dan
BWT

Post by BWT »

Thanks Dan, Dave, and Joe, I was really happy to find it!!!
Bill
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Great looking knife Bill ::tu:: ::tu:: ... The blade looks like a lambsfoot though not sure - usually those old Sheffield patterns had "Real Lambsfoot" deep stamped on the blade - perhaps it is a sheepsfoot but overtime and some sharpening took down the edge abit... the stag is beautiful!

Post by Duffer »

Sheepsfoot/Lambsfoot it is a beautiful antique folder!
Lloyd
BWT

Post by BWT »

Thanks Lee and Lloyd, I appreciate that.
Bill
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Bill that is a beauty! ::drool::
AAPK Janitor
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

This fits the bill........
Attachments
il_fullxfull.1193676622_2icl.jpg
AAPK Janitor
BWT

Post by BWT »

It sure does Dimitri, that is a good looking knife, and love the wharncliff blade ::tu:: ::tu:: I don't have any of that style yet but it sure does look good. I believe that is called a serpentine isn't it???
Bill
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Nice old rare one Dimitri ::tu:: ::tu:: ... Cool MOP wharncliffe in a shadow pattern ::nod:: ...

Tidmarsh is indeed a mystery in a sense and no doubt old and rare ::tu:: - Tweedale doesn't even have him listed and I think Tweedale did a pretty good job including lots of Sheffield makers with background (of course he may have missed a few despite him being pretty comprehensive) ... I have seen a few Tidmarsh patterns online - This percussion pistol knife is way too cool 8) ... and if I understood the description for this one the percussion pistol actually did work :D ... Not my knife but here is the photo:
Tidmarsh Knife-Percussion Pistol.jpg

Post by BWT »

That's really nice Lee, always enjoy looking at the old ones. Would your book have any mention of Turner and Jepson in it? Thanks for any info you might or might not find.
Bill
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

BWT wrote:Would your book have any mention of Turner and Jepson in it? Thanks for any info you might or might not find.
Here you go Bill :) - Turner & Jepson was a merchant and manufacturer of table and spring knives, razors and scissors - Albion Works - on Cadman Lane in 1868 and last listed in 1883 (Jepson died in 1881)... There was some other info on both gentlemen related to their earlier years but not related to the Turner & Jepson venture..

Post by BWT »

Thanks for the info Lee, now I don't have to wonder as much about it, couldn't get much info on Google ::handshake::
Bill
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

My pleasure Bill ::handshake:: ... BTW - I forgot this as you alluded to it in your post of the knife - you referred to the pins looking like they were clipped off - I think they were hammered (perhaps the proper term is peened?) which was not unusual on the old knives - I don't think spun pins were used until the 1900s if I am not mistaken.

Post by BWT »

Thanks Lee
Bill
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

BWT wrote:It sure does Dimitri, that is a good looking knife, and love the wharncliff blade ::tu:: ::tu:: I don't have any of that style yet but it sure does look good. I believe that is called a serpentine isn't it???
Thanks Bill!

Yes it is a serpentine pen knife.
AAPK Janitor
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

LongBlade wrote:Nice old rare one Dimitri ::tu:: ::tu:: ... Cool MOP wharncliffe in a shadow pattern ::nod:: ...

Tidmarsh is indeed a mystery in a sense and no doubt old and rare ::tu:: - Tweedale doesn't even have him listed and I think Tweedale did a pretty good job including lots of Sheffield makers with background (of course he may have missed a few despite him being pretty comprehensive) ... I have seen a few Tidmarsh patterns online - This percussion pistol knife is way too cool 8) ... and if I understood the description for this one the percussion pistol actually did work :D ... Not my knife but here is the photo:

Tidmarsh Knife-Percussion Pistol.jpg
Thanks Lee!

I seen that pistol knife, it's so cool ::tu::

I have another Tidmarsh knife but it is a worn out pruning knife.
AAPK Janitor
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Here's a pretty old and rare one that was gifted to me from my buddy Barry W - It's a little battered with a broken blade but I think it is a cool old rare stamp 8) ... a cool old wharncliffe ( the master still has some snap :) ) with tortoise shell and a stamp that I can not find in any reference "Fletcher/Gloster" - which is on the tang that remains from the pen blade but there is no stamp on master (perhaps worn off). Now after some searching I did find that Gloster can be a shortened version for Gloucester England (near the Cotwalds and Wales) and I did read in an old reference that there were knives made in that area at least back in the 1500s - this knife is not from the 1500s but suggests perhaps it was made in that area at a later time (probably mid to later 1800s as a guess) - I can't find anything on Fletcher so it is a mystery for sure... I wanted to share it on this thread because of the stamp... Any ideas or knowledge would be great ::nod::
Closed Mark Side DSCN4471.JPG
Closed Pile Side DSCN4485.JPG
Blades Open DSCN4493.JPG
Tang Stamp DSCN4516.JPG

Post by LongBlade »

Another old and rare one along with the one above - James GREEN & Co. - Pen & pocket knife manufacturers 50 Fargate Pigot's 1841 Sheffield Directory... This one was figured out a few years back after playing "Wheel of Fortune" with the few missing letters in stamp - Thanks to smiling-knife for figuring it out ::tu:: ... Some other experienced collectors think it even dates earlier than 1840 given the cow horn handles - it does have integrated liners and bolsters. Most likely it was a sheepsfoot blade. While it was repinned by somebody long ago it has cracking opening and closing snap and tight. No doubt this knife is an old soldier :D
Closed Mark Side DSCN4004.JPG
Closed Pile Side DSCN4000.JPG
Blade Open DSCN4020.JPG
Integrated Liner & Bolster DSCN4070.JPG
Tang Stamp DSCN4050.JPG

Post by BWT »

That's nice Lee, just surviving all these years and still in working order, thanks for sharing ::tu:: ::tu::
Bill
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks Bill ::tu:: ::tu:: ... There's just something about that knife despite being an old soldier that I find really appealing.... probably because it has had lots of use without serious abuse and just wear from a hard life - and no doubt, and like you said, still survives in working order after 180 years or more...
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Lee, those are really great old knives, but especially the James Green. Knives like that are what keep me digging for gold. ____Dave

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”