Lets show some Old and Rare ones.

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
FRJ

Re: Lets show some Old and Rare ones.

Post by FRJ »

Here's an old Bronson & Townsend, Pequot. 1923 - 1938. 2 5/8".

They were a hardware business in New Haven, Ct.
Attachments
DSCN8218.JPG
DSCN8223.JPG
DSCN8233.JPG
DSCN8237.JPG
DSCN8239.JPG
DSCN8246.JPG
DSCN8249.JPG
Joe
BWT

Post by BWT »

Definitely a rare one, good looking knife, always enjoy looking at the rare ones. Thanks Bill
Bill
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, Bill, and welcome here. ::tu::
Joe
wlf

Post by wlf »

Joe,you're amassing quite a New England collection. Very nice knife.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thanks, Lyle.

I'm a country mile and a banana peel behind Lee. :D
Joe
wlf

Post by wlf »

Lee IS quite the consummate ,if that word can be used as a noun. I grin
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

Lyle
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Here is one I found in a junk box at the Queen show, a Southern Barlow Co. Barlow, single blade, really nice style bolster stamp, ebony wood, well worn of course as most old Barlows are. Little to no information out there on these, what I can find dates it to 1900 or so.
Attachments
IMG_7205.jpg
IMG_7204.jpg
IMG_7206.jpg
IMG_7208.jpg
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

John very nice old Barlow and visually appealing with that unique bolster stamp ::tu:: I bet your eyes lit up and your pulse spiked when you discovered that one :shock: Great find!
Lloyd
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Great find! That's the kind that keep us looking. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Thanks guys, seems to be a pretty scarce Barlow, I found a reference In Goins but it had no real information, 1900 to 1920 with a question mark, none of the other books I have mention Southern Barlow Company.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Great find on that Barlow, John. ::tu::
Joe
wlf

Post by wlf »

Great find and congratulations to Donna for winning that knife.

These obscure knives are what really get our blood pumping and our wheels turning.

Lyle
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

JohnR that's a great find. Knives like that are such a wonderful mystery. ::tu::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Thanks guys and Lyle congratulations to Jan for winning the other knife, pretty cool!

Funny story with this knife, I was rooting through the junk box and spied it, grabbed it,opened it to see what it had for a blade and action, never really looked at the tang stamp as I had left my glasses in the car. The whole time I'm looking at the knife I'm thinking it is a Southington which have a similar bolster stamp and construction and are also a pretty hard barlow to find. Went trough the rest of the show telling my buddies I had found a rare Southington. Did not figure out what I had actually bought until I got back to the hotel and put my glasses on.

Charlie had a Southington with him and his wife took a picture of the 2 together, hope when he gets home he can post it.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

W. Bingham Co. Cleveland, OH. Went out of business in the 1940s so the Barlow is at least that old. Best I can do.
Attachments
WP_20170828_035.jpg
WP_20170828_030.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

I believe this one is pretty rare. Neft Safety Knife. Made by Valley Forge Cutlery. 1921-1922.
20170902_195420.jpg
20170902_195445.jpg
20170902_195505.jpg
20170902_195522.jpg
20170902_195541.jpg
20170902_195555.jpg
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
bladeguy58

Post by bladeguy58 »

Here are my oldest ones, I*XL George Wostenholm 1461 Pruner with the page from a Hibbard Spencer & Bartlett catalog. The catalog page is from the 1800's but the knife is 1890 or earlier based on the fact that it has no country of origin as stated in the Tariff Act of 1890. The other is another I^XL George Wostenholm Farrier knife late 1800's-early 1900's. My son had the older one mounted for me in a shadow box for Father's Day several years ago.
Bladeguy
20170907_182728_resized (3).jpg
20170907_182623_resized (1).jpg
20170907_182540_resized (2).jpg
20170907_182547_resized (2).jpg
20170902_165829_resized (2).jpg
KAW

Post by KAW »

There are three threads in this forum which seem to cover the same topic.... this one.... Old and Obscure Brands & Old Knives with Rare Tang Stamps. Really not sure what the subtle differences are? ....but I chose this thread because it seems to be the most popular & is the one I have read in its entirety so far. I had posted this knife over on the Old Stockman Knives thread but I apparently killed that thread. ::lightening::
Despite the chance of repeating the same outcome here with this hideous knife ::uc:: ....I'm hoping this may be the right place to post again and get some more info.

What I do know is this Wallkill River Works is an economy line knife produced by New York Knife Co. in Walden between 1928, when they introduced the brand and 1931, when they went bankrupt.... so I'm assuming its pretty rare + I have not seen this exact style of construction before. It has a one piece U−shaped brass liner that conceals the backspring(s) & all three blades fit between.... with both celluloid covers pinned to the outside of. The blade combination is that of a typical Stockman, but is there a name for this sort of frame? I've been lurking on this board for a better part of a year now & have not seen another like it posted. Has anyone seen one of these before?

10070 10073
10072 10071
'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

KAW wrote:I've been lurking on this board for a better part of a year now & have not seen another like it posted. Has anyone seen one of these before?
Yes, I have seen quite a few over the years. I have one around here somewhere, all I have seen have had fancy celluloid handles. Miller bro's and a few other companies used the one piece liner with a hidden back spring.
AAPK Janitor
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Here's a pretty rare one and certainly old. Goins says circa 1904 and made mostly razors so pocket knives are scarce.
Attachments
image_3 (1).jpg
AAPK Janitor
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

KAW wrote:There are three threads in this forum which seem to cover the same topic.... this one.... Old and Obscure Brands & Old Knives with Rare Tang Stamps. Really not sure what the subtle differences are? ....but I chose this thread because it seems to be the most popular & is the one I have read in its entirety so far. I had posted this knife over on the Old Stockman Knives thread but I apparently killed that thread. ::lightening::
Despite the chance of repeating the same outcome here with this hideous knife ::uc:: ....I'm hoping this may be the right place to post again and get some more info.

10070 10073
10072 10071
Well I wouldn't call it hideous by any means, looks quite interesting and unique. Good one, glad to see such things, keep them coming and welcome to AAPK, great to see some new blood around with different knives. Congrats too.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
KAW

Post by KAW »

Thanks Ivoryman.... Hideous may be a bit overboard.... but she isn't what you can call pretty either.... its just that I posted it on the
Old Stockman Knives ten days ago lookin' for info about it & nobody has posted there since... :roll:
at least someone like it well enough to get some good use out of it.... but I do feel the same as you.... quite interesting and unique.
'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

An old Thomaston Navy knife from WW1, some pretty nice jigging.
Attachments
IMG_7496.jpg
IMG_7497.jpg
IMG_7498.jpg
IMG_7502.jpg
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Nice one John. ::tu::
Roger
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Nice knife John ::tu:: ::tu:: ... funny thing is I bought the same pattern Navy knife made by Thomaston just a few months back... Never had seen a Thomaston Navy knife and now 2 have appeared in the last few months...

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”