Lets show some Old and Rare ones.

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
TheMadHungarian

Re: Lets show some Old and Rare ones.

Post by TheMadHungarian »

Old and rare are subjective terms,

Old, (1950-60s) Rare, not often you find one with an uncut key. Car/knife guys go crazy for these :)
036-1.jpg
100_2407.JPG
DSC_8923.JPG
This one's older and rarer, 1912-1913, only in business for a year. Union Knifeworks NYC NY USA
DSC_8725.JPG
938jRE1.jpg
DSC_8171.JPG
Even more old, more rare, custom Josef Sziraki Pearl Lobster Sleeveboard from the mid 1800s with equally old Double Case pocket watch with Fusee winding
OwnMCVk.jpg
My Old Man told me when I was a kid, "You can spend your entire life convincing someone how smart you are but it only takes a second to prove you're an idiot."....................You can call me Ted.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Bingham Barlow
Attachments
WP_20170427_016.jpg
WP_20170427_025.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
TheMadHungarian

Knice one Ivoryman, love the jigged bone covers. ::tu::
My Old Man told me when I was a kid, "You can spend your entire life convincing someone how smart you are but it only takes a second to prove you're an idiot."....................You can call me Ted.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Thanks Mad H, some of my favorite bones period for that reason.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
TheMadHungarian

1920s-40s Graeff & Schmidt Swell End Jack in smooth bone covers, this was a rescue knife I almost scrapped because it was encased in a 1/4" of dried latex house paint, It took me 2 days to get the blades open only to find out the main blade had been used open paint cans and there were big chips scalloped outta the main blade. After lots of stone work It turned out really knice except for the 1 chip in the rear of the knife.
DSC_8481.JPG
IMG_0610(1).jpg
DSC_6265.JPG
DSC_6277.JPG
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Nice reclamation project Mad H, looks great now.
TheMadHungarian

Thanks, I gotta get into the habit of takin' before pics. I start cleaning, oiling and freein' up all the movin' parts and then I go, "Dag nabit!" well it's actually a lot nastier the that but I always forget to take the before ones. The after ones are no problem. ;)

Some more rescues.

Schrade CutCo Walden NY Splitback Gentleman's knife. It had pearl scales but they were broken into many pieces so I used the Ivory from reclaimed piano
keys. Don't look glennbad it was a 15 minute scale replacement so I could throw it in my pocket.
DSC_4301.JPG
Union Knifeworks only in business from 1912-13, this one was rusted shut. You can see all the pitting on the iron bolsters from the rust and one of the blades was broke so I shortened it up and cleaned it up, re profiled it into a box cutter.
DSC_4146 (1).JPG
DSC_4150.JPG
The Graeff & Schmidt and the Union Knifeworks Moose
image3.jpeg
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey GUYS, Someone needs to make a thread for American Shear & Knife Co,,,With that said,,,This thread is where guys are posting there H'ville knives
This is the only H'ville I have ever owned and its right in front of me. No fancy pics, No fancy backgrounds, No props or anguish,,,Just good ole antique knives. Thank you Mr. Peanut for selling me this knife at the Tulsa show this year!!! Wonderful Knife Sir
This one is in a Jumbo pattern,,about 4 1/8" closed,,,BEEFY BEEFY guys and KILLER SNAPS!!!!
Kind Regards,
Mark
Attachments
100_1285.JPG
100_1291.JPG
100_1287.JPG
100_1289.JPG
100_1292.JPG
100_1293.JPG
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

You're welcome! ::tu::
Roger
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Your the MAN Peanut!!!
Kind Regards & Blessing my friend,
Mark
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey GUYS, I found this American Shear HUGE Gunstock Hawkbill this year at the Tulsa show,,,,Awesome knife that set me Back in my wallet, LOL
I was just too Impressed by it,,,to pass up
Kind Regards,
Mark
Attachments
24.jpg
25.jpg
29.jpg
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey GUYS, After having a Long conversation about this Schrade Genuine stag in the "Schrade forum" I thought I would post it here for others to see also.
Its a Minty Schrade Walden STAG!!!
What does that mean to most guys,,nothing,,lmao
Still debating on Exactly what year this knife was made,,,But most think its in the 50's era and was either a special order/salesman knife. Probably had an Ink Etching on back of blade which is Long gone. Anyways the knife is looking for the right caretaker. LT says he has too many Schrade knives(has a museum full).
Kind Regards,
Mark
Attachments
104.jpg
105.jpg
107.jpg
108.jpg
100_1033.JPG
100_1069.JPG
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey GUYS, When I think of old & Rare,,,Its not the Schrade STAG. Though Genuine STAG in Schrade is SUPER RARE!!
I Personally think of this BAR-LOW knife. Pre Civil War era with Integral Bolsters & Liners,,,Deep stamped Touchmarks out on the blade,,,Hand stamped Tang Letters. This knife is NOT just for the BARLOW Lover but for the ANTIQUE Pocket knife LOVER,,Right!!! What you guys think??
Kind Regards,
Mark
Attachments
107.jpg
106.jpg
101.jpg
102.jpg
103.jpg
104.jpg
105.jpg
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

ratlesnake75 wrote:Hey GUYS, When I think of old & Rare,,,Its not the Schrade STAG. Though Genuine STAG in Schrade is SUPER RARE!!
I Personally think of this BAR-LOW knife. Pre Civil War era with Integral Bolsters & Liners,,,Deep stamped Touchmarks out on the blade,,,Hand stamped Tang Letters. This knife is NOT just for the BARLOW Lover but for the ANTIQUE Pocket knife LOVER,,Right!!! What you guys think??
Kind Regards,
Mark

Wow! That is a great knife. ::tu::
David
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Thanks DM11
Kind Regards,
mark
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

You are showing some great old antiques, Mark. ::tu::
Joe
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

TheMadHungarian wrote:Thanks, I gotta get into the habit of takin' before pics. I start cleaning, oiling and freein' up all the movin' parts and then I go, "Dag nabit!" well it's actually a lot nastier the that but I always forget to take the before ones. The after ones are no problem. ;)

Some more rescues.

Schrade CutCo Walden NY Splitback Gentleman's knife. It had pearl scales but they were broken into many pieces so I used the Ivory from reclaimed piano
keys. Don't look glennbad it was a 15 minute scale replacement so I could throw it in my pocket.

DSC_4301.JPG

Union Knifeworks only in business from 1912-13, this one was rusted shut. You can see all the pitting on the iron bolsters from the rust and one of the blades was broke so I shortened it up and cleaned it up, re profiled it into a box cutter.

DSC_4146 (1).JPG

DSC_4150.JPG

The Graeff & Schmidt and the Union Knifeworks Moose

image3.jpeg
Is that a Jerry Bear? Needs a beard. One of my favorite guitarists and a really sweet knife there Mad H.
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

All awesome knives Mark - but that Barlow is a real gem ::tu:: ::tu::

Post by bighomer »

WOWZER ×10, prime time absolutely wonderful ole knives ::tu:: Thanks for sharing fellers.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I don't know much about Schrades, but I know enough to be impressed with that serpentine stag Schrade you posted Mark! That's a real beauty that I'd have a hard time passing by. Congrats on finding it.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Wabash Cutlery
Terre Haute IN
Pen knife with celluloid handles and shield.
Attachments
20170430_172715.jpg
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

C.F.Wolfertz, Allentown. Pa. 1862-1920. I'm guessing this is pretty rare, especially in Minnesota.___Dave
Attachments
early rare knives 005.JPG
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey Mumblypeg, Thanks buddy!! I dont know much about Schrades either as they are Just not my thing BUT Some Schrades are just Killers to me
Many thanks also LongBlade and FRJ
Kind Regards,
Mark
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Just some really unique and rare knives being shared. I forgot about this thread, and honestly don't really post in this section, as I am not as well-studied as some of you guys.

However, I never get tired of sharing this Wade & Butcher. I just wish it was in a little better shape.
w&b1.JPG
w&b3.JPG
w&b4.JPG
w&b2.JPG
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I've posted these in the Case Collectors forum but they fit here also. The Case 87 gunstock pattern is very difficult to find. It was discontinued at some point during the Tested era and to my knowledge never re-introduced. The 8387 pearl gunstock whittler below is marked W.R. Case & Sons, dating it to pre-1914. The 5387 stag is marked Case Tested XX, with the file blade stamped Tested XX inside a circle. It's my understanding this "Tested inside a circle" stamp was used early in the Tested era, in which case the knife dates to early 1920s.

Ken
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”