Old and Obscure Brands

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
trail

Old and Obscure Brands

Post by trail »

How about a thread for all the old and obscure brands that don't really warrant a thread for themselves? One of my favorite sections of my Price Guide to Collector Knives is the 33 pages titled "Knife Brands of the World." This is a listing or about 1,500 different brands that a knife collector might come across. Maybe somebody has seen them all but I doubt if I have seen more than 5 percent, even in pictures. That's a good thing because it means that any day I might run across another new one.

Here is a Bower 32. This Solingen made knife was imported by F.A. Bower Import Co, which may have been located in Jacksonville, FL. Stewart and Ritchie think enough of the brand to give it a short writeup in the Standard Knife Collector's Guide. "The firm began importing their fine knives from Solingen, Germany very early in the 1900's and they seem to have measured up well against our own fine domestic brands." Other sources suggest that Bower started importing in the 1950s as part of the German post war reconstruction effort.

My knife shows heavy wear, but it is still serviceable. The pen blade is lazy but the clip snaps harder than most modern new production knives. The handles, which I believe are bone, are so pocketworn that the pins and shield stand proud. For this old, well-worn knife to still hold together suggests to me that it was of high quality manufacture.

Any other old and obscure brand knives out there?
Attachments
bower_32_scaled.jpg
bower_tang_1.jpg
bower_tang_2.jpg
bower_tang_2.jpg (45.92 KiB) Viewed 40695 times
rangerbluedog

Re: Old and Obscure Brands

Post by rangerbluedog »

I don't have any, but I like this idea, trail!
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
trail

Post by trail »

Thanks, Blue! That's probably my only one, but I'll bet we see some good stuff, especially if some of the old-timers start rooting around in their cigar boxes.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

AAPK Janitor
trail

Post by trail »

Thanks Miller Bro's, I forgot all about that old thread. There are some real nice "one hit wonders" there. If an admin wants to consolidate this thread into that one, I wouldn't argue against it.
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

I kinda sorta think that this would be a very interesting "stand alone" thread rather than consolidating it. I think that I have some odd-balls but have to dig to see.
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

Here's some that I already have pics of. To me they're obscure, but maybe not. Page 1
United Cutlery Germany1 (2).JPG
United Cutlery Germany2.jpg
United Cutlery Germany2.jpg (11.66 KiB) Viewed 40641 times
Sorge1.jpg
Sorge2.jpg
Coca-Cola1.JPG
Coca-Cola2.JPG

tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

Page 2.
W.Bingham Cleve. O.1.JPG
W.Bingham Cleve. O.2.JPG
Kamp Cutlery Germany1.JPG
Kamp Cutlery Germany2.JPG
Valley Forge1.JPG
Valley Forge2.JPG

robinetn

Post by robinetn »

THE OSTDIEK COMPANY , MINNEPOLIS , MINN. (Probably made by W.R. CASE & SONS in the teens)
Attachments
THE OSTDIEK COMPANY 002.JPG
THE OSTDIEK COMPANY 003.JPG
THE OSTDIEK COMPANY 005.JPG
THE OSTDIEK COMPANY 004.JPG
knifegirl888

Post by knifegirl888 »

These are all cool! I always like shields that are different & the Bower name qualifies!

TJ,

That's the first Coca Cola Atlanta knife I have seen. My book says that most were made by Camillus in the 30s-40's. Very cool! 8)

Robin,

What a nice hobo! I haven't ever heard of Ostdiek & wouldn't have associated that name with Case.

I learn so much for the forum! ::tu:: ::tu::
"Making miracles is hard work, most people give up before they happen." - Sheryl Crow
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

OK here is one for this thread.
AE Fuller TL-29.jpg
AE Fuller.jpg
I can find no mention of a knife by this company anywhere, in any book.
I looked for info on this for a couple weeks or more.
I emailed Mike Silvey, author and noted military knife expert, and a nice guy.
Mike had no info on them.
Parenthetically; Mike has a great book out that I highly recommend: "Pocket Knives of the United States Military".
It is one of my favorite knife books and has lots of great color pictures from very early Navy knives to modern knives.
My go to source of info on TL-29 knives.
Available from Knife World: http://www.knifeworld.com/pocknivofuns.html

I did a search on yellowpages.com for the company.
I found two listings, one in Texas & one in New York.

I was not able to get a hold of the Texas company but I managed to contact the company in New York,
Here are my notes from that call:

7/19/10-
Called phone number for A E Fuller Co. (found in Yellowpages.com).
The phone was answered by a lady who said A E Fuller Co. was her husband’s company but the company no longer exists.
I explained I was a knife historian, researching a knife with the AE Fuller name on it. She said they must have had the knife made for them.
She said they were manufactures representatives.

So after a week + of research I have a definite ‘maybe’ as to the origin of my mystery knife.
I must admit; it is more information than I have been able to get on some knives of unknown lineage.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

knifegirl888 wrote:These are all cool! I always like shields that are different & the Bower name qualifies!

TJ,

That's the first Coca Cola Atlanta knife I have seen. My book says that most were made by Camillus in the 30s-40's. Very cool! 8)

Robin,

What a nice hobo! I haven't ever heard of Ostdiek & wouldn't have associated that name with Case.

I learn so much for the forum! ::tu:: ::tu::
Thanks KG. When I received it, it was in pieces and Elvis put it back together for me. Did a great job. Thanks again Bob.

knifegirl888

Post by knifegirl888 »

orvet wrote:OK here is one for this thread.
AE Fuller TL-29.jpg
AE Fuller.jpg
I can find no mention of a knife by this company anywhere, in any book.
I looked for info on this for a couple weeks or more.
I emailed Mike Silvey, author and noted military knife expert, and a nice guy.
Mike had no info on them.
Parenthetically; Mike has a great book out that I highly recommend: "Pocket Knives of the United States Military".
It is one of my favorite knife books and has lots of great color pictures from very early Navy knives to modern knives.
My go to source of info on TL-29 knives.
Available from Knife World: http://www.knifeworld.com/pocknivofuns.html

I did a search on yellowpages.com for the company.
I found two listings, one in Texas & one in New York.

I was not able to get a hold of the Texas company but I managed to contact the company in New York,
Here are my notes from that call:

7/19/10-
Called phone number for A E Fuller Co. (found in Yellowpages.com).
The phone was answered by a lady who said A E Fuller Co. was her husband’s company but the company no longer exists.
I explained I was a knife historian, researching a knife with the AE Fuller name on it. She said they must have had the knife made for them.
She said they were manufactures representatives.

So after a week + of research I have a definite ‘maybe’ as to the origin of my mystery knife.
I must admit; it is more information than I have been able to get on some knives of unknown lineage.
I like to do research on the unknowns, but it can be frustrating when there is nothing to be found. I am glad you got even a little piece of information on this one! ::nod::
"Making miracles is hard work, most people give up before they happen." - Sheryl Crow
ObsidianEdge

Post by ObsidianEdge »

I like that slot knife. It does look like it was made by Case. Bernard Levine has images of a minty one on his website.

Sperry and Alexander was a New York based wholesale company. Charlie (Upnorth) told me thought Schrade made this jack.
1.jpg
2.jpg
Mike Robuck

Author: "Gun Trader's Guide to Collectible Knives"
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

Man, that's an interesting blade. Is it a budding knife? I like it pretty good.

ObsidianEdge

Post by ObsidianEdge »

If you mean the S&A, it's a slightly worn sheepsfoot on a two blade jack.
Mike Robuck

FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Well, here's a name that was in business for over 50 years, but I think is not quit a household name. I'd like to give it some attention here. It's a great knife. Very well made and Nice bone handles.

Hollinger,..........Freemont, Ohio......... Does anyone have this brand?
Attachments
003.JPG
005.JPG
006.JPG
Joe
knifegirl888

Post by knifegirl888 »

Bret & I actually have a sheath knife with the name "Hollinger, Fremont OH" on it. I will try to get a scan of it soon. I know that LG4 states c1919, with a high collectible rating. Goins says that some of their cutlery line was made by other manufacturers and lists the dates as 1905-1958. All I have is book info though..
trail

Post by trail »

Anybody else see this in the A.G. Russell online catalog?

"On a dealer's table at the 2006 Blade Show, we found and purchased an antique Hobo knife that was the most elegant I had ever seen. The mark was Ostdiek Co. Minneapolis, one I had never seen before. I have checked with many dealers and collectors in the pocketknife portion of this industry and have found no one who knows anything about that company. It is my belief that the knife was produced in the late 1800s or early 1900s. The profile was slim and the lines were extremely pleasing to behold..."

http://www.agrussell.com/a-g-russell-bo ... US-UX3ORH/
knifegirl888

Post by knifegirl888 »

Here is one I posted on another site, asking if anyone knew anything about the maker? I got no replies at all... I can't find anything that matches in my books & have come up empty even on the web. Looks like it should be an easy one, but ::shrug::

Looks to say F. GG & Sawyer, Sheffield. Its a pretty ivory handled knife that has nice thickness to the scales. It feels heavy for its size.
Attachments
Sawyer Sheffield.jpg
Sawyer back.jpg
Sawyer side.jpg
Sawyer Sheffield tang.jpg
Sawyer Sheffield tang2.jpg
sawyer2.jpg
robinetn

Post by robinetn »

trail wrote:Anybody else see this in the A.G. Russell online catalog?

"On a dealer's table at the 2006 Blade Show, we found and purchased an antique Hobo knife that was the most elegant I had ever seen. The mark was Ostdiek Co. Minneapolis, one I had never seen before. I have checked with many dealers and collectors in the pocketknife portion of this industry and have found no one who knows anything about that company. It is my belief that the knife was produced in the late 1800s or early 1900s. The profile was slim and the lines were extremely pleasing to behold..."

http://www.agrussell.com/a-g-russell-bo ... US-UX3ORH/
Do you think that he was refering to one like I posted in this thread ? If so , BRL only has one reference to it in his 4th ed. and lists it as 1908 - 1930's . It does look like 1920's Case bone & jigging .

Bob
trail

Post by trail »

Yes, Bob, I think he must have found one similar or identical to yours. He has had something made that he calls a "boxcar jack" that is patterned after the Ostdiek, and while it is not nearly as beautiful as yours it does have a family resemblance.
ObsidianEdge

Post by ObsidianEdge »

Here is the Case slot knife from Levine's Website:
1.jpg
There's also a shot of the inside of both sides.
Mike Robuck

robinetn

Post by robinetn »

ObsidianEdge wrote:Here is the Case slot knife from Levine's Website:

There's also a shot of the inside of both sides.
Looks like the only difference is the type of bone and the sabre grind .

Bob
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

knifegirl888 wrote:Bret & I actually have a sheath knife with the name "Hollinger, Fremont OH" on it. I will try to get a scan of it soon.
Thanks knifegirl, I'd like to see a pic. of the sheath knife. I read about my knife in Goins too. The name was under steam for quite a while. You'd think more of there knives would surface. Maybe they do and I'm just not under the right star. Thats happened before.
Your other knife is beautiful. You reckon that ivory adds weight?
Joe

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”