Old Pruning and Horticultural Knives

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
thegreedygulo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Old Pruning and Horticultural Knives

Post by thegreedygulo »

JohnR: You sure have been posting some great old pruners. I particularly like your little Winchester and the etched Maher & Grosh is exceptional! ::tu::
A pocket knife is still an intimate personal possession of the individual who carries it and consequently deserves the best of materials, finish and workmanship in its production. (Quoted from Boker's 1928 cutlery catalog).
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

John, the third picture down showing the etch and especially the swedge and the full blade ending in the sharp point reminds me of why I love the hawkbill/pruner pattern so much. It is a beautiful shape and a serious looking tool. I have several hundred in my collection, most pretty well used but a few with the full blade shapes. Maher & Grosh sure made sold impressive knives and this is a nice one. ___Dave
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

You've got some really good looking hawks there, John. Great show! ::tu:: ::tu::
Joe
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Thanks guys, appreciate it. I was pretty happy to get this one, only the second pruner I have ever found with an etch. This is the first capped end pruner I've found with brass liners. Dave, do you have any or seen any with brass liners?
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

John - I have a few that have brass liners and end caps, and no doubt it is not common among my collection of them - this H&B with brass liners and end cap was posted back on page 26 of this thread and I have a Hatch Cutlery Co Hawkbill with brass liners and end cap as well (just need to get some photos of the Hatch)... I believe I have seen some Case Hawkbills with brass too... Curious to hear which hawkbills Dave may have with brass too....
H&B Hawkbill DSCN8643A.jpg
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

I don't know about the liners but I remember one with a brass end cap. Most of my hawkbills are stacked in layers in a large box in the bottom of my large safe so it will take me a little time to check. I wish I had a cabinet big enough and secure enough to display all my knives but that ship left port a few years ago. I'll see what I can find later this morning after I get the chickens fed. You have me curious now. ___Dave
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

John I'm glad you got the knife but sad because I was the bidder right behind you ::mdm:: ::mdm:: It's a beauty for sure. ::tu::
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Here's an old American Knife Co., Plymouth that has a Brass cap and steel liners.
Attachments
DSCN7562.JPG
DSCN7564.JPG
DSCN7566.JPG
DSCN7567.JPG
Joe
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Sorry about that Mike, it was an interesting lot, the 3 straight razors are in great condition, hope to recoup some of the cost by flipping the razors. the quill knife is in good condition also, don't know if they have much value.
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Lee, Joe, both those are very interesting, I have not seen the large American made pruners with brass end caps, I do have a couple small British ones with brass.
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Here are some pruners with brass parts. I kept finding more after I took this picture. Also pictured are a few above the brass ones that have blade etches and two with other non-typical characteristics. I'll try to identify the knives on a separate post because I typed this twice and my computer lost connection both times after all the typing while waiting for the picture to download. ___ Starting at the bottom row on the right is a Keen Kutter with a Brass Butt plate and brass liners (I have several of these), Next is two H&B with brass butt plates (one has a blade stamping along with the tang stamp). The forth is a Kunde with brass plate and liners, next is a Maher & Grosh with brass liners, next is a Northfield with brass Butt plate, Next is a Due Buoi with liners, next is a Tina with liners, Next is a J Tyzack & Son Sheffield with brass bolsters. I have only seen one of these, Next is a Dwight Devine Ulster with brass liners, next is the fairly common IXL TYNE with the brass frame, and finally a CSKar Butter with brass liners. On the top is a Red Western States cordage roap with massive spring and thick blade for cutting hemp rope and a H Sears with a Fed. shield and a long spey blade. No brass but a fairly rare combination, at least in my circles. The three other ones all have blade etched. The bigger one is an American Shear with a faint etch "Farm Stock and Home" The Wards has a Master Quality etch, and the Wester & Butz has some kind of logo etch and a round shield with Tanigan on it. I know I have more buried in other safes and maybe I'll add them later. ____Dave
Attachments
non-typical hawkbills 005.JPG
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

What a great bunch of knives, Dave. That American Shear looks to be in fine shape. ::tu::
Any chance of a close up of that one?
Joe
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Great collection of those Hawkbills with brass liners & end caps Dave ::tu:: ::tu:: ... if it is convenient and if you have the time I would no doubt like to see your others ::nod:: :D .....
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

yeah Joe, I'll post a close-up maybe when we get home later today, and Longblade, I'll see if I can spot some I missed with brass. I took a picture (actually several pictures because they won't fit on one) of the whole group a year or so ago with the knives spread across an 8 foot window seat. I had never seen them all in one group before and what's worse, my wife hadn't either. It was fun for me but my wife began to see the scope of my addiction so we might not want to do that again. ____Dave
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

There are some great knives in this thread. It's a pattern that doesn't get the respect it deserves.

We often say, "If only knives could talk". Well, just think of the stories these knives could tell.

Totally unrelated, but I can recall when the hawkbill was carried by many adolescent males in Birmingham as a means of projecting their tough guy persona.

One, as I recall, from Ramsey High School, and whose name I cannot remember and has probably been dead or in prison for many years unless he managed to turn himself around, was noted for his "skill" with the hawkbill. He was a complete juvenile delinquent.

He carried it in his right hip pocket alongside his billfold. He could stand, with his arms at his side, and draw, open the knife and cut an aluminum can that had been dropped from the level of his chin in front of him.

Whether or not he ever actually used that in a fight, I have no idea.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Charlie, I find that very interesting, thanks. I recall someone, maybe Lyle, refer to them as West Virginia switchblades.
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

FRJ wrote:What a great bunch of knives, Dave. That American Shear looks to be in fine shape. ::tu::
Any chance of a close up of that one?
Joe, here's the American Shear. This one has a steel butt plate. My records show I have another one but without the etch that I bought 5 years before this one so now I have more exploring to do in my safe. Someday this mess will all be in order but probably not by me. Oh, I found it already. It is the same knife but has a larger stamp on the tang. Both stamps are arched American with Shear & Knife Co. ____Dave
Attachments
American Shear and KNife Co 001.JPG
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

That is one awesome American Shear & Knife Co Hawkbill Dave ::tu:: ::tu:: .... just so nice from all aspects :) ..... Great score!!!
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Thanks Lee. I'm always a little amazed when I see a hundred year old knife, especially one that is considered a basic working knife as opposed to a Sunday knife in nice condition. Almost all of my hawkbills show a fair amount of use. I'd sure love to know some of the histories.____Dave
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Dave, thanks for taking the time to show that fine old knife.
Probably one of the most desired stamps. At least in this neck of the woods.
That is a real treasure. ::tu::
Joe
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

How about an early 50's S-W #190 Budding knife? That also happens to be ivory.
Attachments
DSC_9008.JPG
Dave - the new guy. :lol:
NRA Life/Endowment
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Dave, love that budding knife!

Picked up the Wostenholm last week, large for a bare end, almost the size of a capped end pruner. The stag is interesting, ground to fit, looks like second cut stag. I think this one is pre 1890. Other pruner in the picture is later Wostenholm, gives an idea on size and stag.
Attachments
IMG_7028.jpg
IMG_7032.jpg
IMG_7034.jpg
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Nice hawkbills John ::tu:: ::tu:: .... I have one pre-1860 Wostenholm hawkbill I will post soon - be nice to see the comparison :) ...
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Thanks Lee!
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

I sure do love those big IXL hawkbills. ____Dave

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”