Silver Fruit Knives A Golden Age

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Silver Fruit Knives A Golden Age

Post by Miller Bro's »

This is an unusual one I found today.

It is only 2 3/8" long. It is shaped just like a Quill knife. The blosters are Grooved Sterling Silver. The blade is Sterling. The pins are low grade Gold. the handles are firey MOP.

No makers marks on this one.
Attachments
c.JPG
c.JPG (39.53 KiB) Viewed 5903 times
v.JPG
v.JPG (26.53 KiB) Viewed 5903 times
AAPK Janitor
Draac

Post by Draac »

A feast for the eyes my Silver Fruit Knife collection continues to grow.

Enjoy....Please click the image for a more detailed look around.

Draac
Attachments
CLICK FOR A LARGER VIEW AND LOOK AROUND A BIT.
CLICK FOR A LARGER VIEW AND LOOK AROUND A BIT.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Very nice! ::drool::

Your off to a good start ::nod::
AAPK Janitor
Draac

Post by Draac »

Vintage ornate "GORHAM" Fruit Knife

Tang on blade marked: Gorham on the opposite side the numbers 0101

There are no hallmarks on the knife. The weight of this knife is 1.35oz

Question: I can not date this knife. Knowing what the knife tang is stamped can anyone help me out with dating this beautiful fruit knife ? (Click on the first two images to enlarge to see the tang marks).

Thanks for any help you can provide,
Draac
Attachments
CLICK FOR A LARGER VIEW
CLICK FOR A LARGER VIEW
CLICK FOR A LARGER VIEW
CLICK FOR A LARGER VIEW
CLICK FOR A LARGER VIEW
CLICK FOR A LARGER VIEW
CLICK FOR A LARGER VIEW
CLICK FOR A LARGER VIEW
CLICK FOR A LARGER VIEW
CLICK FOR A LARGER VIEW
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Draac,

I have the same knife with the same marks. I don`t know how to date American made Fruit knives. The English had a superior system of marks that, as you know, allows you to date a knife to a specific year. That is otherwise unheard of in the antique knife collecting world.

The closest you can come to finding a date would be to obtain old factory catalogs and see when a pattern appeared and the disappeared. But finding these are few and far between.

D
AAPK Janitor
Draac

Post by Draac »

Miller Bro`s wrote:Draac,

I have the same knife with the same marks. I don`t know how to date American made Fruit knives. The English had a superior system of marks that, as you know, allows you to date a knife to a specific year. That is otherwise unheard of in the antique knife collecting world.

The closest you can come to finding a date would be to obtain old factory catalogs and see when a pattern appeared and the disappeared. But finding these are few and far between.

D
Thank you Miller Bro`s for your reply. I'll do some research on Gorham factory catalogs, maybe I can get my hands on one. I get lucky looking for things once in awhile.

Draac
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

Wow some great looking knives here, my grandad carried one like these for years and i remember him peeling apples for us with it, i use my pocket knife for this task now and then for my kids, ::tu::
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,
slimpickins

Post by slimpickins »

Miller Bro's here's ny only two. The top one letter date 1869 maker JB.The second one is dated1873, maker Thomas Marples. The reference I was looking at shows a JB but it was registered in 1906 and the relief around the letters dont't match mine. Any ideas? Slim.
Attachments
IMG_0179.JPG
IMG_0180.JPG
IMG_0181.JPG
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

slimpickins wrote:The reference I was looking at shows a JB but it was registered in 1906 and the relief around the letters dont't match mine. Any ideas?
I believe it is a Sheffield maker, Jas. Burbury.
AAPK Janitor
slimpickins

Post by slimpickins »

Thanks Miller Bro's for the info. I could only reference to a John Bigins and Joseph and Thomas and Joseph and Edward Bradbury. I also dated the Marples wrong, it's 1876. The real point is these old fruit knives were works of art. Slim.
IMBand

Post by IMBand »

Miller Bro`s wrote:This is an unusual one I found today.

It is only 2 3/8" long. It is shaped just like a Quill knife. The blosters are Grooved Sterling Silver. The blade is Sterling. The pins are low grade Gold. the handles are firey MOP.

No makers marks on this one.
I have seen a few knives with the long pull extending throught the tang. ITS AWESOME !!
I wish more knives were made like this. Don't know why, but it really does it for me.
Great knife as always MB.
AAPK #6581
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

slimpickins wrote:The real point is these old fruit knives were works of art. Slim.
They sure were Slim ::nod:: ::tu::

IMBand wrote:I have seen a few knives with the long pull extending throught the tang. ITS AWESOME !!
I wish more knives were made like this. Don't know why, but it really does it for me.
Great knife as always MB.
Thanks! From what I have read about the subject only the very best and most expensive knives had the pull extending to the end of the tang, for example, exhibition knives.

This would be true for this knife as it is constructed of Gold, Silver, and M.O.P, all the most expensive materials in the day to use on a pocket knife 8)
AAPK Janitor
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Found these all sterling silver Fruit knives, American made unmarked as to maker.
Attachments
15.JPG
15.JPG (39.62 KiB) Viewed 5731 times
16.JPG
17.JPG
17.JPG (45.75 KiB) Viewed 5731 times
AAPK Janitor
Beechtree

Post by Beechtree »

This was posted in the All Metal Knives thread, but it belongs in this one here.

Here are a few old knives.
The first two present some interesting lore.
The DERBY SILIVER Co. fruit knife was the first I purchased. Originally, I thought that it was made in the 1880's in Derby Conn along the banks of the Housatonic. Latter I saw the Holley MFG. Co. and realized my error. It appears that the Derby Silver Company contracted the job out to Holley.
The second pair of fruit knives are from the Meriden Britannia Co. from West Meriden Conn. They might date to the the 1880's or early 90's?
Each knife is 3"
Attachments
P8022866.JPG
P8022898.JPG
P8022909.JPG
P8022865.JPG
P8022864.JPG
"A tool is but an extension of a man's hand." -Henry Ward Beecher
trey

Post by trey »

Have any of you seen a book called 'Pocket Fruit Knives'? It was written by an English author. It is pretty good.
My local Half Price Books had 5 or 6 of them. Some of the knives had gold blades as well as silver.
Beechtree

Post by Beechtree »

Sounds like a neat read I will look it up, thanks.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Those knives are a nice addition to this thread ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

My granddaddy's fruit knife, supposedly given to him by his father, before WWI.
Attachments
2012-04-20 005 (640x368).jpg
Beechtree

Post by Beechtree »

Welcome to AAPK DrTom. That is a very pretty fruit knife you have there. Beautiful design, and I really like the unique shape of the seed pick. Are there any markings on it to suggest the maker? Even though it is already beautiful, having it be your great grandfathers makes it all the more beautiful!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Nice to be here, and thanks for your welcome message. There are no markings anywhere. Here's the reverse side, a bit plainer but still decorative. I didn't know about "seed pick". My grandfather said the little pick was for scoring an orange peel into quarter sections you could peel off. Any idea if it's English or American?
Attachments
2012-04-20 006.JPG
2012-04-20 007.JPG
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Welcome to the forum! I don't know whether it is the background you shot the picture against or the actual color of the knife but it looks almost like it is made of pewter.I have never seen a fruit knife of this color and I have a fair amount of them.
The seed pick looks to be of American origin.There were only a few companies in the USA that made fruit knives and most of them were silver plated or marked,"COIN" to indicate their silver content(.900 fine).I don't have my Karsten's book on silver knives handy or I could give you the makers' names.I have a gold plated one in my collection that has a pick very similar to yours.(see pic).
Attachments
5SilverFruitKnives2.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

That's its real color, kind of a dull grey-silver. The pick shape makes it seem of U.S origin?
Thanks for your comment!
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

DrTom wrote:That's its real color, kind of a dull grey-silver. The pick shape makes it seem of U.S origin?
Some of the U.S. ones were unmarked, all the English ones were marked.

Definitely American made I have one just like it somewhere, If I recall the one I have had brass as a base metal and it was plated with silver.
AAPK Janitor
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Interesting! I won't do anything to it to see if there's brass underneath. Where or who in America might have done the lovely artwork?
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

DrTom wrote:Interesting! I won't do anything to it to see if there's brass underneath.
By all means do not remove any of the plating or surface metal.
Some were plated steel as well, to test for steel, take a magnet and see if it attracts to it.

Another non destructive test would be to flex the blade gently from side to side, if it is sterling it will bend easily, if it is a brass base it will not flex easily.
DrTom wrote: Where or who in America might have done the lovely artwork?
A few possibilities could be Meriden Brittania, Gorham or Albert Coles.
AAPK Janitor

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”