Old HIBBARD, SPENCER & BARTLET---OVB---Knives

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Old HIBBARD, SPENCER & BARTLET---OVB---Knives

Post by danno50 »

Great personal recollection, Mark! ::tu:: Nice knife, Lyle! ::tu::
Dan
Dan
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Just acquired this HS&B OVB teardrop dog leg Jack. It is 3 & 1/2 inches closed. In remarkably fine condition with excellent W&T. No lateral blade play when either blade fully extended. Very crisp/sharp tang stamps. Full blades. Don't know the kind of wood the handles are made of. Anyone know or care to guess? Thanks for looking, Lloyd
Attachments
IMG_1120.jpg
IMG_1121.jpg
IMG_1141.jpg
IMG_1122.jpg
IMG_1123.jpg
IMG_1124.jpg
Lloyd
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Knice one, Duffer .. ::tu::
Love the bolster engraving. Really unique.
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Thanks Chris for the nice comment on this HS&B! Lloyd
Lloyd
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks for sharing those photos and story Mark - cool stuff and great memories ::tu:: ::tu::

Lyle - as always another awesome farmer's jack ::nod:: ::tu::

Duffer - Really nice dogleg ::tu:: ::tu:: ... that knife pattern is just so appealing ::nod:: :) .... I'm just guessing but cocobolo or possibly rosewood ::shrug:: ... but for some reason it has the appearance of a softer wood but hard to tell as sometimes photos are deceiving.... What is the estimated age of that knife??
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Lloyd that is a super nice old knife.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Have to share this equal end cattle knife in here!!
Attachments
IMG_1263.JPG
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Cool old cattle knife Scott ::tu:: ::tu:: ... love the bone on that one with threaded line on bolsters, and shield is nice too ::nod:: !!!

Post by toolboy »

Mark I really enjoyed and appreciated the story and pictures of your Grandpa John Hackney. I knew him very well, bought a rare Case Tested trapper from him once for $1500.00. Remember him selling the Remington Bullets and then he bought more later on. Seems like he had two daughters (your aunts I assume) that also liked knives. Remember making one of them a display case, was her name Gloria? Thanks so much for sharing the story and also the pictures of your OVB made by NYK
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Any possibility you fellas could tell me the age on my OVB above?
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
msteele6

Post by msteele6 »

Knife appears to be an NYK made knife, therefore its latest date is 1931, the year NYK went out of business, probably 1920's.

JMO
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

toolboy wrote:Mark I really enjoyed and appreciated the story and pictures of your Grandpa John Hackney. I knew him very well, bought a rare Case Tested trapper from him once for $1500.00. Remember him selling the Remington Bullets and then he bought more later on. Seems like he had two daughters (your aunts I assume) that also liked knives. Remember making one of them a display case, was her name Gloria? Thanks so much for sharing the story and also the pictures of your OVB made by NYK
Hey Toolboy, Thanks so much for commenting about my Grandpa,,,I sure miss him so much and you are Correct that he did buy more bullets after that.
He used to sell Tools and antique Coins at the flea market in Bargersville, IN every Sunday for MANY years until he got so old he couldnt make the drive anymore. I remember when he quit driving that Old Bread Truck because My father got it and turned it into a Concession stand for Hot dogs & Hamburgers, LOL. Yes indeed he actually had 4 daughters and My father(Joy, Jody, Julie and Jeanie). Unfortunately none of my aunts associate with me,,Probably because I just a kid to them. Thanks Toolman for bringing back some memories for me,,,If not for my Grandpa, I would not be a knife man today,,This I know for a Fact.
Kind Regards,
Mark
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

wlf wrote:Thanks for the pictures and the story Mark.

Here is a HSB farmers jack made by NYK I believe.
Hey Lyle, I certainly agree that the knife is NYK made too. I really like seeing the center steel pin and outer brass pins because it was very normal for NYK to do this unlike so many other manufactures. Killer knife bro
Kind Regards,
Mark
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

Just happened onto this forum and thought hey I got a couple of those. Would be highly pleased if you could tell me any or
everything there is to know about these two. The handle material on the first looks like MOP. Please correct me if i'm wrong.
moss
PICT0001.JPG
PICT0002.JPG
PICT0003.JPG
PICT0004.JPG
PICT0005.JPG
PICT0034.JPG
PICT0035.JPG
PICT0036.JPG
PICT0037.JPG
PICT0038.JPG
I STAND FOR OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Mossdancer - I can tell you the first knife no doubt has MOP handles and perhaps is a serpentine pen knife (just based on tip bolsters and shape)... I can't quite tell on the 2nd knife what your handles are based on photos but has the looks of a cattle knife but not sure based on blades which no doubt have seen some sharpening ... that color of handles on 2nd knife can be tricky - unless I see some grain suggesting ivory (but that is not always seen on ivory either making it hard based on photo) I am not seeing signs of haversion canals suggesting bone (which look like small holes somewhere along the handle for lack of a better description - but again not always seen on bone either) - just guessing but seems to be bone and less likely ivory - doesn't seem to have that celluloid (though celluloid was a popular handle on cattle knives from my reading) or French Celluloid look to me - the latter would have horizontal lines very consistent and parallel along the length... other than that I am no expert by far on HS&B knives so don't have much else to add... sorry but hope this is somewhat helpful...

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey Guys,,I concur with LongBlade also. The minor chipping on bottom liner on the cattle does resemble a more natural material not like celluloid which normally is noted for shrinking instead of chipping.
Kind Regards,
Mark
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Here are three HSB & Co. OVB folders. Top is a swell center or Coke bottle folding hunter (NYKC), left one is a dog leg tear drop Jack and on the right is a regular Jack OVB marked on primary mark side blade. Lloyd
Attachments
IMG_1299.jpg
Lloyd
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

3 beauties Lloyd, great knives!
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Great knives, Lloyd. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::

That hunter is a beast. ::drool::
Joe
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Lloyd, you buried the lead in the other thread by holding back that coke bottle. Wow! :shock: :shock: :shock:

A trio of treasures right there, my friend. ::tu::
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
wlf

Post by wlf »

Nice knives Lloyd and Mossdancer.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Thanks John, Joe, Tony and Lyle for the nice remarks on my HSB knives--much appreciated!

Anyone have any idea what kind of wood the handles are made of on the smaller Jacks? Even a guess?

Thanks, Lloyd
Lloyd
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

I suspect the swell-end jack is cocobolo.

I really can't tell on that cool little dogleg teardrop of yours, though. Due to color and certain characteristics I'd almost guess bubinga, but that's a scarce-to-rare wood for pocketknives AFAIK. Could just be oak with a little character, but I am surely no expert... ::shrug::
stumpstalker

Post by stumpstalker »

Here is a HSB English Jack; 4 3/8ths-inch; brown bone; filed German-silvery internal liner between pen and master blade; pins, shield, bolster and end cap.

What factory do you believe made it?

The knife is not in my cutlery section reprint of the 1933 HSB catalogue. I have very little reference material on HSB knives.

Except for the pen blade and shield it shares many similarities with No. K2683 in Shapleigh’s 1942 catalogue, section 21, page 73 (a Keen Cutter), making the knife possibly Winchester-made. This is admittedly a tenuously-based hypothesis.

One experienced knife maven looked at it and seemed pretty confident that it was Camillus-made. I do not recall why he believed that.

The number [110] on the pile side of the master blade is intriguing. Has anyone else seen three digit or lower numbers stamped like this on other HSB knives; or maybe even more importantly, on knives made by one of the brands of the known makers of Hibbard, Spence, Bartlett & Co. knives?
Attachments
hsb.eng.mark.2.jpg
hsb.eng.110.tang.stmp..jpg
stumpstalker

Post by stumpstalker »

Whoops. Looking further in my notes I see that indeed I was told by the knife maven that Camillus did stamp three-digit numbers on it's blade tangs.

Do others agree?

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”