The "HATCH" cutlery company

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
ratlesnake75

The "HATCH" cutlery company

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hello knife friends!! Anyone got any pics of HATCH made knives. I would appreciate any and all pics of tang stamps and there knives. Also the history, and connection to sheffield importing prior to 1891(tariff act). THANKS--Mark

P.S.--sold a long time ago--forgot to take a good pic of the tang stamp!!
Attachments
hatch1.JPG
hatch1.JPG (19.83 KiB) Viewed 6826 times
hatch2.JPG
hatch2.JPG (18.24 KiB) Viewed 6826 times
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
ratlesnake75

Re: The "HATCH" cutlery company---NEED PICS!!!!!

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Here is another knife made by the Hatch cutlery of bridgeport, ct---Marking is--The H&H Manufacturing(curved) Co. Bridgeport, Conn. and on the back of both blades some triangles with a line underneath(sheffield markings??)---Goins Encyclopedia has that the H&H stands for Hatch & Holmes. Dating this knife is easy from 1887 till 1890. Iron bolsters, pins, and liners, half-stops on both blades, very heavy and thick knife, also note long pulls on both blades.

A little more history for Hatch collectors: I suspect that Holmes was Mr. Hatch's connection(and bussiness partner) to sheffield importing. If I understand the history correctly, Mr. Holmes had a knife plant in sheffield under the name John Holmes & Co and also after Hatch and Holmes separated when sold to challenge, Mr. Holmes opened his own plant in Bridgeport, Ct under the name "J.H. Holmes c1908". Goins also shows an excerpt from J. Lindsay catalog pic--c1890--a 3 blade whittler--marked The Hatch Cutlery Co. ALL INFORMATION DERIVED FROM GOINS ENCYCLOPEDIA

Hatch Bros.----c1885
Pacific Knife Co.----trademark of The Hatch & Holmes Manufacturing Co.----c1885-1886
The H&H Manufacturing (curved) Co. Bridgeport, Conn.----c1887-1890
The Hatch (curved) MFG. Co. B'Port--------------goins???----c1885-1899----My dates are c1890-1899
The Hatch (curved) Cutlery Co. Bridgeport, Ct.----goins???---c1885-1899----My dates are c1890-1899

I suspect the name changed from--The H&H--to--The Hatch cutlery c1890-1891 was due to expansion & the tariff act.
Attachments
008.JPG
012.JPG
011.JPG
006.JPG
007.JPG
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Here is the identical pattern to my H&H, stamped The Hatch Cutlery Co. Bridgeport, Ct. I put them side by side for comparison. Differences: The Hatch Cutlery has brass liners, nickel silver pins & bolsters--also note the differences in blade swedging & Long Pulls, dont know the difference in wood?? Looks like one is ebony and the other is exotic. Thx Mark
Attachments
058.JPG
059.JPG
053.JPG
054.JPG
055.JPG
056.JPG
060.JPG
061.JPG
064.JPG
066.JPG
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Nice looking knives Mark ::nod::

Doesn`t anyone else here have any Hatch Cutlery knives? ::shrug:: ::hmm:: :lol:
AAPK Janitor
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Thanks MB for the kind words. I hope someone can post some more tang stamps or other items by Hatch--Thx Mark
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I got this great stamp in the mail today. The knife is a little worse for wear. A bit more than I expected, to be honest,
but it is a great old Connecticut knife. While it was in transit I searched out this thread to post it on.
As a gunstock jack it's 3 1/2". Thanks.
Attachments
009.JPG
010.JPG
005.JPG
006.JPG
007.JPG
Joe
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Nice gunstock ::groove::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thanks garddogg,
I wish it were in better shape. It has decent snap but the blades wobble, but, hey, it's a Hatch, from ol' Connecticut.
Possibly a 120 year old knife.
Joe
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Fantastic Gunstock FRJ---Very Rare Pattern---Thx for Posting it---Thx Mark
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: The "HATCH" cutlery company

Post by galvanic1882 »

Figured I would get this one started again. This is a knife like rattlesnake posted H&H, I think we got them form the same person.

Mike
Attachments
hhh1.jpg
hhh2.jpg
hhh3.jpg
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

Here is another one that I just picked up. Hatch Cutlery Milwaukee Wisc. and it works really well with nice snap and lockup.
Attachments
hatchwis1.jpg
hatchwis2.jpg
hatchwis3.jpg
hatchwis4.jpg
edgy46

Post by edgy46 »

Hatch Buchanon, Mi. Just a relic, as someone removed the tabs that hold and release the blade. ::tear::
Attachments
Hatch Cut Co. Buchanan, Mi. 005.jpg
Hatch Cut Co. Buchanan, Mi. 006.jpg
Hatch Cut Co. Buchanan, Mi. 003.jpg
Hatch Cut Co. Buchanan, Mi. 004.jpg
An uncontrolled accumulator. ::shrug::
Bill
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

Found this nice old fella in the bottom of a packing box. The more I investigated the better I appreciated what I had. !st it is a Jumbo Jack, 2nd it has an extreme master clip wide enough that bot sides of top are swedged, 3rd the nail nick runs from the tang to the back of swedge, 4th the choil does not seem reached at all, 5th viewing with a 10X it does not look to have been resharpened,6th the beef of tang end of blade is immense, 7th the back spring is the same thickness. The Propellar eschution is unsigned, The Jigged bone is WOW,The Bolsters are great. The walk and talk is a training tool for a bear trap maker. The handles do have a defect, at center front of blade pin a small crack runs downward about 1/2 inch to bottom of handle, there is some discoloration. The pen describes the same on a smaller scale as the clip with exceptions as depicted to blade near and at the end, I have provided plenty of photos and they should enlarge. Should Will the Stagman show up I have placed a photo or two of the large end of a piece of moose horn that I know he would enjoy. There is also a line drawing of the tang stamp on the main blade, rather unique the way the H has been used and the abbreviation of Bridgeport.
PICT0001 (2).JPG
PICT0001.JPG
PICT0003.JPG
PICT0004 (3).jpg
PICT0004.JPG
PICT0004.JPG (50.51 KiB) Viewed 4814 times
PICT0005 (2).jpg
PICT0006.JPG
PICT0007 (2).jpg
PICT0008 (2).jpg
PICT0008.JPG
I STAND FOR OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Nice find! ::tu:: ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

More Photo's
PICT0009.JPG
PICT0010.JPG
PICT0011.JPG
PICT0012.JPG
PICT0013.JPG
PICT0019.JPG
[attachment=3]

All in all one nice old cutter. BRL has it at 1886-1888 in Bridgeport Ct. and moved to Mi. in 1889.
moss
Attachments
PICT0010.JPG
PICT0011.JPG
PICT0012.JPG
PICT0013.JPG
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thats a beauty Mossdancer and a jumbo too ::tu:: ::tu:: ... wish I could find one on the bottom of a box :lol: .. Not an easy maker to find...

Never knew this thread existed - so I have one with a photo to share - Hatch Hawkbill...
Mark Side DSCN7946.JPG
Pile Side DSCN7953.JPG
Blade Open DSCN7993.JPG
Tang Stamp DSCN7927 - Version 2.JPG
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Lovely old knife, Mossdancer! ::tu:: Seems to be kind of a unique tang stamp, somewhat different than the other Hatch knives posted, very nice.
Great old Hatch pruner, Lee! ::tu:: Nice to see old pruners with the blade in good condition.
Dan
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Mossdancer, Lee, great old Hatch knives. Hatch appears to have used several tang stamps during their short time in business. Here is an English Jack I have.
Attachments
IMG_7366.jpg
IMG_7355.jpg
IMG_7363.jpg
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks Dan and John ::tu:: ::tu::

John - Nice knife and love the jigging on that bone ::tu:: ::drool:: - Is it stamped Bridgeport CT or Milwaukee WI or Buchanan MI? I was always curious about this as I thought Hatch was bought by Challenge Cut which makes one wonder what aspects moved out to Wi and than moved again to MI - but maybe I am not remembering correctly about Challenge buying them out......
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

A big thanks to all for viewing and commenting. This thread as you have seen goes back to its origin in 2010. I was reticent about bringing it forward and I am happy I did. Lots of Hatch products showing up with the many thousand more members AAPK has now. Brian you did it Buddy you have done the Knife collecting community a fantastic favor.
Keep those old cutters coming. Maybe someone can come up with some old advertising. BRL if you happen to read this it would be nice to get your thoughts on this old company, maybe even some of the research you have done.
moss
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

LongBlade wrote:Thanks Dan and John ::tu:: ::tu::

John - Nice knife and love the jigging on that bone ::tu:: ::drool:: - Is it stamped Bridgeport CT or Milwaukee WI or Buchanan MI? I was always curious about this as I thought Hatch was bought by Challenge Cut which makes one wonder what aspects moved out to Wi and than moved again to MI - but maybe I am not remembering correctly about Challenge buying them out......
Lee, it is stamped Bridgeport on both blades, the font used is very similiar to the font Challenge used.
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks John - very cool 8) ::tu::
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Nice knife, John, very interesting jigging pattern! ::tu::
Dan
schmoozer

Post by schmoozer »

I sold a lever-assist knife on eBay a few years back, will try to dig up photos and post.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Here's a nice little (3") horn covered Hatch jack.
This knife is still very solid with the slightest movement in the main blade and nothing at all in the little pen.
Very snappy with half stops. Lots of use and good sharpening with plenty more to go.
It just makes you wonder how someone used up a pen blade on a three inch knife.
This is my second Hatch.

Thanks for looking.
Attachments
DSCN4722.JPG
DSCN4724.JPG
DSCN4726.JPG
DSCN4728.JPG
DSCN4731.JPG
DSCN4740.JPG
Joe

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”