Knives Made Before The Year 1960

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Knives Made Before The Year 1960

Post by danno50 »

Do not recall seeing either a Chris Wolf or a Jess Crouch posted in this thread yet.
Attachments
Chris Wolf, Jess Crouch
Chris Wolf, Jess Crouch
Dan
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

BWT wrote:I will try and post a few next week Dimitri, my wife fell off a step ladder almost three weeks ago, destroyed her right shoulder, two more breaks in her arm, and broke her ankle. Might be home next week from rehab and I will try to post some then. AAPK has helped while sitting in the hospital with her, giving me some relief. Really enjoying the old ones before 1960.
So sorry to hear about your wife Bill, I wish her well and hope for a speedy recovery ::handshake::

Don't worry about posting pictures your wife's well being is the most important thing right now.

My comment was actually directed to the more senior members here, but I won't get into that now I been down that road many times in this forum. ::nod::
AAPK Janitor
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Some nice additions, Woodwalker! That slim Robeson jack with the long bolster is nice! ::tu:: The first knife is interesting, can't tell from the photo, possibly carved ivory? Also, what does the tang say on that one?
Dan
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

danno50 wrote:Beautiful knives, Dimitri, lots of great stag in the first pic! ::tu::
Thanks Dan!

Probably my favorite handle material ::drool:: ::drool::
AAPK Janitor
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

woodwalker wrote:Here are a few of mine. Some of them are in rough shape but I like them. Thanks for looking.
Nice!!

Love that Waterville! ::tu:: ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

Miller Bro's wrote:
woodwalker wrote:Here are a few of mine. Some of them are in rough shape but I like them. Thanks for looking.
Nice!!

Love that Waterville! ::tu:: ::tu::
Thank you sir. It's my prize!
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

danno50 wrote:Do not recall seeing either a Chris Wolf or a Jess Crouch posted in this thread yet.
Beauties Dan! ::tu:: ::tu::

Hard to find both of them, thanks to a member here I finally found a Jess Crouch a few years ago :D
Attachments
16_zps7e6bcab4.jpg
AAPK Janitor
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Those are looking good, Dimitri! ::tu:: I also got my pair from a member here on AAPK.
Dan
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

danno50 wrote:Some nice additions, Woodwalker! That slim Robeson jack with the long bolster is nice! ::tu:: The first knife is interesting, can't tell from the photo, possibly carved ivory? Also, what does the tang say on that one?
Danno that first one is a HSB. It's some sort of plastic maybe. Not Ivory. Sharpest dang knife I got that's for sure.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Who is the maker of the hobo?
AAPK Janitor
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

Miller Bro's wrote:
Who is the maker of the hobo?
The hobo is a Robeson Shuredge. WW1 per Mr. Charlie. Got some issues with the blade.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Thanks, other than the chips it looks really good ::tu::

On your HSB, I am pretty sure N.Y. Knife Co. made that knife ::nod:: I have seen that celluloid handle design before.
AAPK Janitor
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

Miller Bro's wrote:Thanks, other than the chips it looks really good ::tu::

On your HSB, I am pretty sure N.Y. Knife Co. made that knife ::nod:: I have seen that celluloid handle design before.
Thank you for the info on the HSB. You have some of the finest knives known to man. I love seeing your old knives!
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Your welcome!

Thank you for your kind comment, I really enjoy collecting old knives :)
AAPK Janitor
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

Miller Bro's wrote:Thanks, other than the chips it looks really good ::tu::

I should also note that I traded a few items with our very own Mr. Ed Landers for the HSB! A very good man!
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Some more beauties Dimitri ::tu:: ::tu:: ... Hard not to like that stag 8) unique Schrade Key knife and 4 jigged bone Press Buttons ::tu:: ::tu::
BWT wrote:I will try and post a few next week Dimitri, my wife fell off a step ladder almost three weeks ago, destroyed her right shoulder, two more breaks in her arm, and broke her ankle. Might be home next week from rehab and I will try to post some then. AAPK has helped while sitting in the hospital with her, giving me some relief. Really enjoying the old ones before 1960.
Bill - As Dimitri said - I'm really sorry to hear about your wife and indeed hoping she has a speedy and full recovery soon!! Family always before knives Bill ::nod:: ... I'm just glad the knives being shown are giving you some relief and enjoyment under the circumstances!!

Woodwalker - Nice knives and I can certainly see why that Waterville is your prize - sweet!!!!

Dan and Dimitri - Those Jess Crouch and Chris Wolf knives are very cool ::tu:: ::tu:: ... For good reason I had an itch to get one or both of those awhile back but came up empty... I just thought the background behind them was really interesting... and though the itch dissipated it may reappear if the opportunity comes around at the right time ::nod:: ... As an aside I went through the same thing after driving past the Collins site in CT - the next week the itch appeared that needed to be scratched and I bought a Collins axe and 4 others :shock: .. Luckily that subsided :wink: .. What a "disease" ::facepalm:: and those itchy symptoms can be serious :lol:

Post by woodwalker »

LongBlade wrote:Some more beauties Dimitri ::tu:: ::tu:: ... Hard not to like that stag 8) unique Schrade Key knife and 4 jigged bone Press Buttons ::tu:: ::tu::
Bill - As Dimitri said - I'm really sorry to hear about your wife and indeed hoping she has a speedy and full recovery soon!! Family always before knives Bill ::nod:: ... I'm just glad the knives being shown are giving you some relief and enjoyment under the circumstances!!

Woodwalker - Nice knives and I can certainly see why that Waterville is your prize - sweet!!!!

Dan and Dimitri - Those Jess Crouch and Chris Wolf knives are very cool ::tu:: ::tu:: ... For good reason I had an itch to get one or both of those awhile back but came up empty... I just thought the background behind them was really interesting... and though the itch dissipated it may reappear if the opportunity comes around at the right time ::nod:: ... As an aside I went through the same thing after driving past the Collins site in CT - the next week the itch appeared that needed to be scratched and I bought a Collins axe and 4 others :shock: .. Luckily that subsided :wink: .. What a "disease" ::facepalm:: and those itchy symptoms can be serious :lol:
Thank you LongBlade for the compliment on my Waterville!!
BWT

Post by BWT »

Thanks Lee and Dimitri, she is doing good, gets out of rehab next week, thanks ::handshake::
Bill
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Wonderful vintage folders gentleman! I have been enjoying the photo feast and thought I should add a selection of mine hopefully for your viewing pleasure also. Thanks
Attachments
Bridge Cutlery
Bridge Cutlery
Holley Man’Fg Co. Lakeville
Holley Man’Fg Co. Lakeville
Eureka Jack Valley Forge pre VF in circle
Eureka Jack Valley Forge pre VF in circle
English Jack Schrade arch stamped
English Jack Schrade arch stamped
Dartt & Co. Warranted
Dartt & Co. Warranted
Ulster Knife Co. N.Y.
Ulster Knife Co. N.Y.
Schatt & Morgan Cutlery Co.
Schatt & Morgan Cutlery Co.
Dwight Divine & Sons U.S.A.
Dwight Divine & Sons U.S.A.
Empire Winsted CT
Empire Winsted CT
Robeson ShurEdge Rochester
Robeson ShurEdge Rochester
Lloyd
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

Duffer wrote:Wonderful vintage folders gentleman! I have been enjoying the photo feast and thought I should add a selection of mine hopefully for your viewing pleasure also. Thanks
Wow Lloyd!! Every one of your knives are spectacular!! That Schatt is crazy gorgeous!! :)
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Lloyd you aught to be horse whupped holding back on us like that. That Valley Forge Eureka Jack is just outstanding as is everyone of those you just showed. Those are the kind of knives you only get one shot at my friend. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Beautiful knives, each and every one, Lloyd! ::tu:: ::tu:: As Greg said the Valley Forge eureka jack is very fine! I really like the old Schrade English jack! ::tu::
Dan
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Wonderful variety of top notch knives Lloyd ::tu:: ::tu:: ... Interesting shield on the Holley and very nice Empire :wink: ...

Post by FRJ »

Absolutely beautiful knives, Lloyd. ::tu:: ::tu::
Joe
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Duffer wrote:Wonderful vintage folders gentleman! I have been enjoying the photo feast and thought I should add a selection of mine hopefully for your viewing pleasure also. Thanks
Very nice, every one of them! ::tu:: ::tu::

Keep 'em coming! :wink:
AAPK Janitor

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”