Old Rope Knives

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Old Rope Knives

Post by djknife13 »

Great find Lee. I didn't know the smaller one existed. ____Dave
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks Dave ::handshake:: ... I didn’t know about the smaller version either until not long ago - there just doesn’t seem to be many around and don’t think they made them in the numbers of the larger one... Levine notes in the 1998 3rd edition that the small one is more rare and he put a higher price tag on it as well...

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

You know, the "small one" isn't exactly small. It's still over four inches, way larger than the two blade WWI knives.

I think the so-called "Naval Jacks", regardless of maker or country of origin, are really impressive knives.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Great find, Lee! ::tu:: Nice to have the pair.
Dan
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks Charlie and Dan ::tu:: ::tu:: ...

Charlie - as you say not a small knife but given the length and girth of the larger (4 3/4”) MB it is smaller on a relative basis :wink: ...

Post by kootenay joe »

I have not been following this rope knife thread but did just win a Miller Bros 4 3/4" Rope knife. It does not have the eyelet? that is screwed into the handle end. I do not yet have this knife so i don't know if it had this feature. These pics are the seller's. It does look similar to the Miller Bros Rope knives shown in Mike Silvey's Pocket Knives of U.S. Military so i think it is 'correct' even though i have very little experience with this brand. Please comment if you think otherwise.
thanks, kj
Attachments
s-l1600 (18).jpg
s-l1600 (19).jpg
s-l1600 (20).jpg
s-l1600 (21).jpg
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

KJ - if you look above and search this thread there are a few examples of the Miller Bros 4 3/4” rope knife. They all originally had the brass lanyard ring but many snapped off which I would bet happened with your example. Your knife looks fine and not cobbled - bone is abit worn but seems right - again see examples above. Your stamp is different than mine but is a Miller Bros stamp often used - I see less with my knife stamped “Miller Bro’s” and your stamp is a common Miller Bros stamp seen often. Hope that helps my friend and nice knife ::tu:: ...

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks Lee. The markings are identical to the same Rope knife shown in Mike Silvey's book. I did not know that all had the 'lanyard ring' attachment.
Perhaps this is why i got this one for well under $100 ? Still, it looks like a nice example. Snap was stated as "o.k." which usually means a bit slow and weak. I will see if clean & lube of joint helps once it has arrived.
kj
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Picked up this WW2 Camillus rope knife, they are really common but this one is interesting in that it is unused and has a thick lanyard attached to it. The lanyard is probably twice as thick as the lanyard that came on the later ones with the can opener.
I think I read one time that these knives were packed in life boats and life rafts, I would think they would have a lanyard but I have never seen another.
Attachments
IMG_0496.jpg
IMG_0494.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:You know, the "small one" isn't exactly small. It's still over four inches, way larger than the two blade WWI knives.

I think the so-called "Naval Jacks", regardless of maker or country of origin, are really impressive knives.

Charlie
Charlie, we have two things in common, respect for J Sidlow Baxter and an appreciation for "Naval Jacks". ::nod:: ::tu:: ::handshake::
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

JohnR wrote:Picked up this WW2 Camillus rope knife, they are really common but this one is interesting in that it is unused and has a thick lanyard attached to it. The lanyard is probably twice as thick as the lanyard that came on the later ones with the can opener.
I think I read one time that these knives were packed in life boats and life rafts, I would think they would have a lanyard but I have never seen another.
Nice score John ::tu:: ::tu:: ... Not easy to find the lightly or unused ones for Rope knives - reminds me of Hawkbills - a hard working knife that usually shows in condition ::nod:: ... and Camillus makes a solid knife imo (especially the old ones) ::tu::
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Won an auction for the mid size Miller Bros rope knife, nice unmolested condition, great bone.
Attachments
IMG_0601.jpg
IMG_0605.jpg
IMG_0610.jpg
IMG_0611.jpg
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Very cool knife John! And an awesome group
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

JAMESC41001 wrote:Very cool knife John! And an awesome group
Thank you, better pic of the three Miller Bros, I would think a difficult set to put together.
Attachments
IMG_0627.jpg
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

JohnR wrote:
Thank you, better pic of the three Miller Bros, I would think a difficult set to put together.
Great group of knives.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
BWT

Post by BWT »

JohnR wrote:
Very nice John, very nice to have all three ::tu:: ::tu::
Bill
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

David, Bill, thanks for the comments.
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

John, I like all three; how can one not? But, I really like that WWI knife.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

JohnR wrote:
Wow John - That’s what I call “3 Aces” - Lovely trio ::tu:: ::tu:: ... I thought I was doing good with having found the 2 but never have seen a Miller Bros sailors knife with the manicure blade - I thought I was lucky finding the Thomaston Sailors knife... Great group John and super hunting :D ::tu:: ... and sorry I missed this .. still trying to catch up from 2 weeks ago..
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

LongBlade wrote:
JohnR wrote:
Wow John - That’s what I call “3 Aces” - Lovely trio ::tu:: ::tu:: ... I thought I was doing good with having found the 2 but never have seen a Miller Bros sailors knife with the manicure blade - I thought I was lucky finding the Thomaston Sailors knife... Great group John and super hunting :D ::tu:: ... and sorry I missed this .. still trying to catch up from 2 weeks ago..
Thank you Lee and Charlie, yea, I was pretty happy to put this group together, the hardest one for me to find was the middle one, they are out there but most are missing the lanyard ring or the blade is worn.
Campbellclanman

Post by Campbellclanman »

John Matey
Again my friend- just WOW Factor on finalising a hard-to-get set ::tu::
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Campbellclanman wrote:John Matey
Again my friend- just WOW Factor on finalising a hard-to-get set ::tu::

Thank you Duncan, it's nice having this set.
Pile Driver

Post by Pile Driver »

Those are something else John
I just have the largest variety, got it from my local CL and it turned up in a thrift in Gloucester MA originally which I find cool.
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey Guys, Here is my R. Bateman Sheffield Sailors knife. It has square joint construction & small round shields. To my understanding these features were quite common during the Civil War Era. Your thoughts are welcome & appreciated!
Here is the only info I could dig up on it. With the prominent curved end, kinda resembles the "Smiths Key" sailors knife too in a way. I think its a pretty cool knife
Kindest Regards,
Mark
Attachments
IMG_1112.JPG
IMG_1113.JPG
IMG_1114.JPG
IMG_1115.JPG
69498784_693391214460893_1428055554810445824_n.jpg
69509857_1295233793971326_5268204149379432448_n.jpg
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Here's one a buddy of mine gifted me a few months ago and I believe a few others have been posted previously... Camillus Rope knife with jigged wood handles - WWII vintage and supposedly used on life boats and made for the Coast Guard and Navy...

Mark Side DSCN3238.jpeg
Pile Side DSCN3247.jpeg
Blade Open DSCN3274.jpeg
Tang Stamp DSCN3284.jpeg

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”