Old Rope Knives

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Old Rope Knives

Post by Miller Bro's »

KAW wrote:Thanks all for chiming in about this knife.... I got about as much consensus here as anywhere else ....
Ken, it was definitely reshaped at some point in time, it was originally a pruning blade.
Attachments
pl2.jpg
pl2.jpg (66.85 KiB) Viewed 4890 times
AAPK Janitor
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Ditto what MB said.Blade is definitely short.
Roger
KAW

Post by KAW »

Dimitri to the rescue!.... There's no disputing seeing a knife pattern in its pristine original form! ::clapping::
'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

Good to see you posting, Dimitri. I was hoping you would comment on this one. ::tu::
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

I still see problems with the knife being re profiled. The pins are in different places between the two knives and if the hawkbill with 1010 penned in above it were cut off to resemble a sailors knife it would be shorter than the disputed knife. Note that the end of the blade points almost directly at the last pin. The hawkbill is even shorter with it's full blade. Are you thinking someone re profiled the blade and put it in a different frame? MB's frame is more curved and the bolster is tilted differently. It lies parallel with the frame on the disputed knife. Does the hawkbill shown actually have a 1010 stamped on the tang? I'm not digging in trying to be stubborn. They still appear to me to be two different knives. I just don't see it.____Dave
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey Dave, The slight curvature differences,,The pin placements and even blade lengths are Different in minute aspects on all of our antique knives, Sir. No 2 knives even from the exact same time period and plant will be Absolute Perfect identical twins,,,it just didnt happen. The processes back then were not on a Massive production scale as they are today in China.
Kind Regards,
Mark
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Interesting discussion... just not sure I have seen too many if any rope knives with a rounded spine at the tip... most are flat on end and a small flat edge between spine and tip - if that makes any sense but this example shows it...

Here’s a Russell Rope Knife and a recent pickup at the NCCA show – Interesting that it is stag given it was not that common of a handle material for Russell - actually has a Sambar Stag look but not any evidence that Russell used that and no catalog cuts to support that suggestion – maybe it was ourced from the UK handle material supplier… Knives from Russell rarely used stag and some Daddy Barlows have been seen with that handle material but not at all common… No doubt an oldie – probably pre-or WWI vintage (maybe Spanish American War) - stamp on this is the "diamond-R-diamond/J Russell & Co/Green River/Works…… blade is tight and great snap opening and closing… only bummer is the sliver of stag missing from mark side bottom – but sometimes you accept certain conditions ;-) … at the price a no brainer & worth the buy ;-)... It is 4 & ¼” closed… Thanks for looking!
Closed Mark Side DSCN8433.JPG
Closed Pile Side DSCN8448.JPG
Half Stop DSCN8476.JPG
Tang Stamp - Partial Etch DSCN8493.JPG

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey Lee, What a Killer Russell you have & I concur about the Stag use on Russells are Extremely scarce. My dad has an old Russell w/ Stag and worn out blades(owned it for decades),,,I will try & get a few pics of it in the next couple weeks to compare the STAG on our knives.
Kind Regards,
Mark
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks Mark ::tu:: ::tu:: ... whenever you get a chance and no rush buddy but it would be cool to see pics of yours as well!

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey Lee, Finally got my old man to dig out his Russell Stag knife & get a couple pics for me to post it. He bought the knife for .50cents at the Pine Bluff, AR Flea Market around the year 1990 when I was in High School,,This is what he told me as I didnt remember at all,,,I think I was more interested in looking at Girls at the time, lmao. Some old man was using the knife too peel oranges with and Dad ask him if he wanted to sell it, LOL. Its been one of our personal favorites ever since.
Kind Regards,
Mark
Attachments
russell.jpg
russell2.jpg
russell3.jpg
russell4.jpg
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

ratlesnake75 wrote:Hey Lee, Finally got my old man to dig out his Russell Stag knife & get a couple pics for me to post it. He bought the knife for .50cents at the Pine Bluff, AR Flea Market around the year 1990 when I was in High School,,This is what he told me as I didnt remember at all,,,I think I was more interested in looking at Girls at the time, lmao. Some old man was using the knife too peel oranges with and Dad ask him if he wanted to sell it, LOL. Its been one of our personal favorites ever since.
Kind Regards,
Mark
Thanks for sharing that knife Mark ::tu:: ::tu:: ... definitely nice old stag but to my eye abit different than mine in terms of striations and look... but yours has awesome character with great background and stories - glad I got to see it buddy ::tu:: .... thanks!!

Cheers
Lee

Post by Berryb »

I got this 4 line Camillus this weekend. No bail, and a lotta off road miles,but the price was right. I have a question though; why is that shape of blade better for cutting rope than any other shape, or is there another use?
Bruce
Attachments
DSC_0001.JPG
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Bruce, that's the kind of knife I enjoy finding! I looked it up and I believe that stamp is the 1941-46. What is the handle material, it looks like wood in the picture?
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Berryb

Post by Berryb »

Philip; I saw one way back on this thread that was said to be jigged rosewood. I don't know about the rosewood but it is a dense wood of some sort. Bruce
upnorth

Post by upnorth »

I acquired this in trade a week ago at my monthly knife club meeting. I find the curve in the blade interesting. Maybe it improves its function??
T. Turner "ENCORE".
Attachments
T Turner Encore 1.jpg
T Turner Encore 2.jpg
T Turner Encore 3.jpg
Utopia!! A chicken in every pot!! And a Barlow in every pocket!!!

Johnnie Fain would have approved!
1949 - 2009
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Thats a nice one Charlie, unique with that curve, great vintage stag!
upnorth

Post by upnorth »

Thanks, John!!
Like so many of those old Ropes from that era, its snap will chop a pencil in half!! :mrgreen:

1949 - 2009
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Wow that Turner is a great knife. ___Dave
upnorth

Post by upnorth »

Here's my collection to date:
Attachments
Old rope collection 1.jpg
Old rope collection 2.jpg

1949 - 2009
Pile Driver

Post by Pile Driver »

An old Union
Attachments
2018-01-25 20.23.04.jpg
2018-01-25 20.22.15.jpg
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Very nice Union PD! ::tu::
Roger
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Really nice Union rope knife with those worm groove bone handles PD ::tu:: ::tu:: ...

Post by LongBlade »

Here's an old Thomaston Navy jack - 3 & 1/4" closed; looks like Rogers bone to me as the handle. Interestingly Thomaston was not one of those 14 listed that made these knives for the government around WWI. Yet the manicure blade has the remnants of the circular stamp "Made in USA" that was seen on many rope knives made for the government.
Closed Mark Side DSCN1398.JPG
Closed Pile Side DSCN1388.JPG
Blades Open DSCN1338 3.JPG
Tang Stamp Master DSCN1354.JPG
Tang Stamp - Manicure DSCN1380.JPG

Post by BWT »

That's a good looking knife Lee, thanks for sharing!!!
Bill
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks Bill ::tu:: ...

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”