The All Scout Knives Thread

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
Pile Driver

Re: The All Scout Knives Thread

Post by Pile Driver »

I have a KA-BAR unofficial scout
Attachments
KABAR Scout.jpg
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Very nice ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Rare knife P.D.with that made for Scouts shield. Appears to be in excellent condition too! ::tu::
Roger
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

::tu:: ::tu:: Outstanding!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
espn77

Post by espn77 »

This is an interesting one. Apparently people back in the late 30's showed up "hung over" on Monday morning also.
Attachments
20180224_160056.jpg
20180224_160025.jpg
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

Here’s an interesting Remington junior scout I picked up with the top bolster customized , not sure if it was cast that way or if it was engraved , either way it was done very nicely .
Meverell Good . A little research with that name shows he was a Sergeant of the 10 mountain division .
Attachments
0F73622D-3AA3-4883-A7A1-77A0D4928251.jpeg
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Wow that's really cool.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

ScoutKnives, congrats on an exceptionally interesting knife. ::tu::
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Have any of you avid and knowledgeable Official Scout knife collectors ever seen such a bolster as that? I suspect Mr Good received the knife well before he joined the 10th Mountain Division, if it is the same person.

Did The Scouts ever award such a knife?

The reason I ask is because that looks to have been professionally done.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Charlie I've certainly never seen anything like it on another scout knife.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

Thanks Keith and Quick steel .
Charlie it’s definitely professionally done , the knife dates pre WWII so the time line fits Mr Good as a younger gentleman .
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives
Willintheweeds

Post by Willintheweeds »

Today the weather was nice, in the 50's, sunny, and I decided it was time to burn the brush pile I've been adding to for months, and while the fire was burning I put my Camillus Cub to work whittling on some dry Sycamore branches I was going to burn. Nothing like sitting by a fire, enjoying the nice spring weather, and whittling on a stick. I stripped the bark off of this one, leaving some of the inner bark, it seemed sturdy and the right size for a walking stick for my pretty active aunt Annie when she goes to a park. I'll sand it some and maybe stain and utherane it, maybe add a wrist strap.
100_2047.JPG
Then I tried to make some fuzz sticks, the dried Sycamore doesn't curl real nice like some other wood, at least for me, so for grins I wanted to see it I could notch the stick all round without going all the way through, took awhile but the carbon blade on that little knife did fine.
100_2042.JPG
Well I just had to use the caplifter and opened a bottle of root beer with it:
100_2041.JPG
This Cub is a great little knife, and now I get the pleasure of touching up and oiling the blade. I'd carry it more but for the bail and I don't have the heart to remove it. I wonder how many Camillus made, I bet at least a million.
RobesonsRme.com

If you had told us you decided to try your hand at carving a donkey's head, we would have been really impressed....

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
DR_MAGOO

Post by DR_MAGOO »

Just picked up this Imperial Prov USA, CUB SCOUTS BSA. Needs a little cleaning. Stamping appears to be 1946-56.
Attachments
Imperial Prov. USA 1946-56 CUB SCOUTS BSA
knifegnome
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifegnome »

Not an Official Scout, but "Scout " related.NYK Co with a store display sign.
Attachments
P3121224.JPG
P3121225.JPG
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I like that Buffalo Bill scout knife! Nice to have the paperwork with it too.

Here's an unofficial scout knife I recently picked up. Nice etch on master blade says "Griffon" Boy Scout. Back of tang says Griffon Cutlery Works Germany. When I got it it had a lot of light rust and was so dry it had no snap on any blades. Cleaned it up a little and put some lube in the joints. Now all but the can opener have good snap. First Griffon scout I've seen.

Ken
Attachments
Griffon Cutlery Works Germany
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Nice pair John! ::tu::
Roger
RobesonsRme.com

Ken, that's an interesting knife from Griffon. The shield seems too small for the frame. One has to wonder why that shield and not the larger escutcheon. Great bone, too.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
gunhawk

Post by gunhawk »

I need some help identifying a Boy Scout knife that I bought back when I was a scout. Here's the information that I can give:

1) I purchased the knife at either Gimble's or Macy's Boy Scout department in Manhattan NYC.
2) It was purchased in either late 1956 when I joined, or mid 1957 when I went to Scout Camp. I don't remember which.
3) It had a round Boy Scout emblem. Not a shield.
4) It had either black or very dark brown jigged scales.
5) If I remember correctly, it also had the "Boy Scouts of America" etched into the blade.
6) It had either 4 or 5 tools. Not three.

Any help will be very much appreciated.
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Gunhawk -

For that time frame, the knife would have been either an Imperial or a Camillus.

A few questions to try to narrow the options down from the dozen possibilities-

- bail or no bail
- jigged plastic or jigged celluloid or jigged bone or jigged wood
- bolsters or no bolsters
gunhawk

Post by gunhawk »

zzyzzogeton wrote:Gunhawk -

For that time frame, the knife would have been either an Imperial or a Camillus.

- bail or no bail
It had a bail and bolsters. I'm not sure what the scales were made of. They weren't bone, and i'm pretty sure that they weren't made of wood. I assume plastic or celluloid, but i'm not sure which. I thought that the Imperial Scout knives had a shield, not a round emblem. Was Camillus making a scout knife in the mid 1950's?

Here's a photo of one that looks the same:
Attachments
BSA 3.jpg
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Both Camillus and Imperial made BSA Scout knives with the FC or First Class rank shield and the round TF or Tenderfoot rank badge shield.

Camillus started making BSA folders in 1946.

Imperial started in 1948.

Both made them in various flavors until shutting down, Camillus in 2007 (no knives made in 2007) and for Imperial, 2004, with the last knives made in 2003.

I'm kinda stumped by your details, however. Your description seems to have features from both FC and TF eras. I'll have to keep looking later wen I'm not so tired.

The information I have collected over the years indicates official BSA products shifted from the FC rank badge to the TF badge across the board in 1960-1961, from knives to whistles to bugles to chow kits to.........

The BSA Knife book I have indicates that the TF shields on knives starts in 1961s. While very voluminous and relatively complete, there are errors. (The author did the best he could with the tech available to him in the 1980s/ early 1990s.)

It has one reference to a TF shield on an Imperial 5 blade in the November 1957 issue of Boy's Life scouting magazine, but I've just finished going through Nov/Dec 57 and Jan 58 issues. Only the 4 blade FC shield knife is depicted. The same book also indicates that all Imperial 5 blade knives were bail-less and all other references to TFs indicate 1961 as the earliest date for TF shields. So.....
ronfish
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by ronfish »

gunhawk wrote:

- bail or no bail
It had a bail and bolsters. I'm not sure what the scales were made of. They weren't bone, and i'm pretty sure that they weren't made of wood. I assume plastic or celluloid, but i'm not sure which. I thought that the Imperial Scout knives had a shield, not a round emblem. Was Camillus making a scout knife in the mid 1950's?

Are you certain that your recollection of the shield and year is correct? The knife example that you showed did not exist prior to 1961/1962 based on all of the documented records. Camillus was not making the knife at that time, it was Ulster and I do have an example of one with an imperial blade from the early 60s.

Do you recall if your knife came in a two piece box, one piece box or a plastic tube?
Ron

WARNING: Knife Addiction in Progress.
gunhawk

Post by gunhawk »

ronfish wrote:
gunhawk wrote:

- bail or no bail

Are you certain that your recollection of the shield and year is correct? The knife example that you showed did not exist prior to 1961/1962 based on all of the documented records. Camillus was not making the knife at that time, it was Ulster and I do have an example of one with an imperial blade from the early 60s.

Do you recall if your knife came in a two piece box, one piece box or a plastic tube?
gunhawk

Post by gunhawk »

Sorry. I screwed up that last reply. Memory is funny, and frequently faulty. I wasn't trying to say that the knife I showed was exactly the same. Just that it *looked* like that one. My years are absolutely correct. 1956 or 1957. I quit the Scouts in 1958. I know that the emblem is correct. It was *not* the shield. It was round. I have one with a shield that we have been discussing in Q and A. I know that it had at *least* four tools. It's *possible* that it didn't have a bail, memory being what it is. I don't recall the box that it came in, except that it wasn't a tube. I found a site that showed the various companies and scout knives that they produced with the years, but I didn't bookmark it, and now I can't find it again. In any case, there's no way that the knife could have been from the 1960's as I was 14 years old in 1960 and had become an Air Explorer.

Thanks for your help.

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”