The All Scout Knives Thread

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
ScoutKnives

Re: The All Scout Knives Thread

Post by ScoutKnives »

Another Gator show find ,,,, a Remington r963 2 blade official Girl Scout knife sleeve board non easy opener . Still has a decent blade etch to ::groove::
Attachments
D55CC87C-64A0-4693-9934-B62A5DD6E664.jpeg
A384ABB0-52E2-49CF-990A-5DB3B4F10047.jpeg
81699073-C89A-4CD1-95D9-4A3AD91DD251.jpeg
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

Sure can , nothing on file but I’ll take one next time I have it out of the safe .
Miller Bro's wrote:Nice find!

Can I see the knife with the blades open?

Thanks.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

A couple of dandy knives SK. I would like to see the blades on the Challenge also. ::tu::
Roger
espn77

Post by espn77 »

That's awsome. I never knew that knife came with that shield. :D
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

espn77 wrote:That's awsome. I never knew that knife came with that shield. :D
Another one to keep your eye out for Keith. ::paranoid::
Roger
espn77

Post by espn77 »

peanut740 wrote:
espn77 wrote:That's awsome. I never knew that knife came with that shield. :D
Another one to keep your eye out for Keith. ::paranoid::
I was under the impression the list in time would get smaller but it continues to get bigger. ::shrug::
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

whitebandana wrote:guide knife closed.jpg
guide knife blade.jpg

First time post: Writing from Northamptonshire England, I recently found an old Girl Guides knife in a local antiques shop and having an interest in knives and a small collection I couldn't resist the £2.50 price tag. I recognized the style of knife as one mass-produced for the Girl Guide movement - similar to the old military style of knife. When I tried to do research on the knife I could find no other knife which just had the word "GUIDES" on the scales,the all say "GUIDE KNIFE", "GIRL GUIDE or "GIRL GUIDES". See here: https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=gi ... &form=QBIR

Cleaning up the blade I noticed that the knife was made by none other than the famous William Rodgers company of Sheffield, a company with an impeccable and historic pedigree. Well, there's a lot of information about the company, their products and their history but I can find no mention of them making a 'Guides' knife at all.

I know this forum is predominantly US-based but I'd appreciate any help at all with this. Hopefully the pictures will help. Thanks. ::tu::

Hi Whitebandana. Welcome to AAPK. I have looked through my very limited library of scout knife books (2) and neither one of them have any information about Girl Guides knives. I suspect others here are lacking information as well. I just didn't want you to think we were ignoring you. I wish you the best in your search for information and would welcome knowing what you find out about your knife.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Welcome to AAPK, WhiteBandana.

There is a very active Brit over at BladeForums.com that uses the ID Jack Black, I believe. He has several Girl Guide knives and seems quite knowledgeable re' them.

Check out the OLD KNIVES thread in the Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades Forum there.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

Here’s yet another Gator knife show find ::dang:: Remington
RS4235 junior RWB with rare shield .
Attachments
1317633B-67D6-4A8F-A350-C32520990895.jpeg
CB9A441D-D41F-46C8-828D-13A5637B7AC5.jpeg
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Mike!!!!!!! You continue to show all kinds of knives I didn't know even exist. Very nice. Thanks for showing them.
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Boy Scouts are celebrating the 108th anniversary.

Scouting was started after William Dickson Boyce, an American newspaperman and entrepreneur, was lost on a foggy street in London when an unknown Scout came to his aid, guiding him back to his destination.
The boy refused Boyce's tip, explaining he was doing his duty as a Boy Scout.
Afterwards Boyce met with Robert Baden-Powell, who was the head of the Boy Scouts Association at that time and Feb.8, following his London experience, founded The Boy Scouts of America.
Boy Scouts mission was to promote through organization and cooperation with other agencies, the ability of boys to do things for themselves and others, to train them in scout craft and to teach them patriotism, courage and self-reliance.
Scouting, which is in 185 countries, has expanded beyond its outdoor adventures to introduce young people to promising careers in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM)

The below picture was taken in Richmond Indiana in the summer of 1958 at our Church.
Boy Scouts Troop #13.
I am the third young boy, middle row from your facing left. I have the white belt on. My older brother (Bob) is the fifth young boy from your left, same row, with his hands crossed in his front.
Bob is two years older than me, better looking, stronger and smarter. But I have more knives and toys then he has.
I am the youngest lad in the photo. Being that I was only 10 years old, I could not be a real Boy Scout until I turned 11. But the troop let me be their "Mascot".
I could not wear a uniform or earn badges but I was a fulltime participant, active member and had no restrictions.
The tall gentleman in uniform on your facing left is Mr. Smith, our Scout Master. Mr. Smith was also a close friend of my parents for many years. He was called "Smitty" but if you were a youngster, you would call him "Mr. Smith" or "Sir"
Everyone looked up to Mr. Smith, not because he was tall, but because he was a Richmond Indiana WWII war hero. From D-Day all the way to Paris. Mr. Smith never spoke of the war but he did teach us many things on life itself.
Sixty years later, I still remember Mr. Smith's big friendly smile and his conversations with us. He taught us Morse Code, tying knots, pocket knife safety, how to start a camp fire. Many character-building activities and ethical decision-making skills. Two day camping trips up to Lake Michigan.
My first assignment of Camp Cooking was to peel the potatoes, I found out later that Mr. Smith advised my parents that there was more potatoes on the peels than the potato alone, so he improvised and we all ate fried-cut potatoes with peels.

Do you have any Boy Scout or any Scout memories and or pictures you would like to share?
IMG_0001 (3).JPG
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

I found this Camillus Adventurer in a small Burbank Ca. antique shop in 1995. I paid $20.00 for it.
Pristine mint, never carried, used or sharpened. Right hand button blade lock.
White delrin faux stag handles. Leather sheath and lanyard. BSA #1375.
IMG_0013 (2).JPG
IMG_0014 (2).JPG
IMG_0012 (2).JPG
IMG_0010 (2).JPG
This classic Utica Featherweight Pat. Apl. Girl Scout Knife is in the original box and came in many variants of handle materials. Never carried, used or sharpened. It is dated around c1936 and one of the first Official Girl Scout Knives available to the girls.
Very good condition considering it's over 80 years old.
IMG_0005 (2).JPG
IMG_0006 (2).JPG
IMG_0007 (2).JPG
IMG_0008 (2).JPG
It appears as if someone paid $1.00 and perhaps a few cents for it a long long time ago? However, I paid more than that but I do not recall how much. I purchased it prior to the internet.
IMG_0009 (2).JPG
Dan
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Here's a couple more Scout items.
This is a unused yellow ink stamped Official Boy Scout Combination Silicon Carbide Sharpening Stone, #1314. Pre-internet purchase.
IMG_0002 (2).JPG
IMG_0003 (2).JPG
IMG_0004 (2).JPG
Sargent's 1989 edition calls this Schrade a "Uncle Henry" Trapper. 2-7/8" closed. Never carried, sharpened or used. Also purchased prior to the internet.
It is a Schrade Walden Stainless N.Y U.S.A. #778. BSA #1060.
IMG_0019 (2).JPG
IMG_0018 (2).JPG
IMG_0017 (2).JPG
Difficult to observe, but the master blade is acid etched:
Razor Blade Stainless * Made In USA and has a picture of a razor blade between the wording.
IMG_0016 (2).JPG
Dan
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Dan, What a wonderful collection of Scout knives and material. May the Scouts thrive and avoid the wackier aspects of our times.
BWT

Post by BWT »

Dan those are some great knives, the Camillus is beautiful, thanks for sharing!!!
Bill
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Thank you QS & Bill.
There are so many beautiful Scout knives on this very active thread.
Dan
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

Very nice collection of mint scouting items Dan ::drool::

Mike
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

ScoutKnives wrote:Very nice collection of mint scouting items Dan ::drool::

Mike
Thank you Mike.
Been admiring your knives also. ::tu::
Dan
Willintheweeds

Post by Willintheweeds »

I am the youngest lad in the photo. Being that I was only 10 years old, I could not be a real Boy Scout until I turned 11. But the troop let me be their "Mascot".
I could not wear a uniform or earn badges but I was a fulltime participant, active member and had no restrictions.
The tall gentleman in uniform on your facing left is Mr. Smith, our Scout Master. Mr. Smith was also a close friend of my parents for many years. He was called "Smitty" but if you were a youngster, you would call him "Mr. Smith" or "Sir"
Everyone looked up to Mr. Smith, not because he was tall, but because he was a Richmond Indiana WWII war hero. From D-Day all the way to Paris. Mr. Smith never spoke of the war but he did teach us many things on life itself.
Sixty years later, I still remember Mr. Smith's big friendly smile and his conversations with us. He taught us Morse Code, tying knots, pocket knife safety, how to start a camp fire. Many character-building activities and ethical decision-making skills. Two day camping trips up to Lake Michigan.
My first assignment of Camp Cooking was to peel the potatoes, I found out later that Mr. Smith advised my parents that there was more potatoes on the peels than the potato alone, so he improvised and we all ate fried-cut potatoes with peels.

Do you have any Boy Scout or any Scout memories and or pictures you would like to share?

Great photo and write up of your troop, I bet you have a lot of fond memories of your scouting adventures. Didn't your church have a Cub Scout Pack? I'm an assistant cubmaster for a pack, the Bears and those Webelos needing it are working on earning their Bear Claws & Whittling Chips. I think I have found enough new old stock Cub knives by Bear and Son to give each one latter this spring, with their parents permission, of course.

If I can manage the upload my old Camillus Cub Scout knife with a carbon blade will be pictured, if takes a really nice edge, don't know what type steel it is but it really is a nice little knife. My original cub knife dissappeared soemwhere in my parent's house, it was there in 1986 when I went to Germany courtesy of the Army but by about 1990 it couldn't be found. Wish I had it as I remember my Dad buying it for me way back when, but this one is nice and I carry it to every Pack Meeting.
Attachments
100_2026.JPG
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Thank you Willintheweeds.
No, our church did not have a Cub Scout Pack but I am sure there may have been a pack available within the town.
I was very happy to be part of the group even though I was a mascot.
Thank you for your Military service and your current Cubmaster activity. These kids will carry the memories of you and your leadership throughout their lives.
What a great idea to obtain Cub knives for these adventurers.
Dan
Pile Driver

Post by Pile Driver »

I have a KA-BAR unofficial scout
Attachments
KABAR Scout.jpg
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Very nice ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Rare knife P.D.with that made for Scouts shield. Appears to be in excellent condition too! ::tu::
Roger
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

::tu:: ::tu:: Outstanding!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
espn77

Post by espn77 »

This is an interesting one. Apparently people back in the late 30's showed up "hung over" on Monday morning also.
Attachments
20180224_160056.jpg
20180224_160025.jpg

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”