Terrier Cutlery Company

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
FRJ

Re: Terrier Cutlery Company

Post by FRJ »

Thanks guys. ::tu:: ::tu::

The Terriers were only made for six years from 1910 - 1916. So that keeps the count down right there.
Any one you find will be at least 100 years old.

Lloyd, I was surprised to see a big knife too.

Thank you,Phil. :lol:
Joe
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, Roger. ::tu::
Joe
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Joe, very nice big beautiful Terrier ::tu::
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, Jerry. ::tu::
Joe
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Joe, reckon that Terrier is a real beauty of a Cattle knife! ::tu::
David
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, David. ::tu::
Joe
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Joe, you outbid me on that one. ::facepalm:: Congratulations.
Great old pattern and a beautiful knife

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Ugh, sorry about that, Charlie and thanks for the compliment.
You crossed my mind as this was in my watch list but I thought it was a little trail weary for your fine collection.
It is a great old knife.
Joe
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Joe - that is one fine piece of cutlery from a cool old company ::tu:: ::tu:: ... All the Terrior knives I have seen from especially Charlie who has a great collection but you & others in this thread are certainly "eye candy" - I especially like the worm groove bone which I find appealing on any knife... in fact I was with you Joe on your first Terrior knife find about a year ago - that nice MOP jack back a few pages :)
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Joe, it is a bit below my likes as to condition, but it's such a great pattern and rare, so I put a limited bid and swore I'd not raise it, but I did one time when I was outbid.

Great honest old knife with some use history.

Nothing to complain about there.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, Charlie.
I didn't realize it was rare. It really is an impressive knife.
Thanks again. ::handshake::
Joe
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey GUYS, Is this the normal Bone for Terriers?? Back a few pages there is a CLIP Blade version Cattle knife,,,With Rogers Bone??
I trying to learn more about what types of bone was used on these knives,,,any and All help is appreciated.
Kind Regards,
Mark
Attachments
100_1945.JPG
100_1948.JPG
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey GUYS, Another Rare bird that I recently had was this 100yr old Terrier and is an Nice variation to add to this Thread.
Note the diagonal Stamping and Bulldog stamping,,,Sweet knife
Kind Regards,
Mark
Attachments
s-l1600 (3).jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey Guys, I wanted to post this knife in the TERRIER section because It has a TERRIER Dog Deeply etched on Master blade. I tell you what I know about this Scarce knife and then we Need Mr. Charlie to chime in on it with his Expertise in Robeson's.

The stamping has me at a Loss because its not actually listed here on AAPK under the ROBESON Stampings. The stamping on Master is Robeson Shuredge Rochester, N.Y.

Thanks Mr. Charlie if you could give us some insight on when this knife was made and if you have ever seen other knives with this Dog Etched on Master??? We know that Terrier knives had the Dog etched on back of master blades but I dont recall seeing the Full dog Etched on Master??? Anyways,,,Thanks to ALL who can comment
Kind Regards,
Mark
Attachments
001.jpg
002.jpg
003.jpg
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Actually, that stamp is listed on AAPK in The Robeson Cutlery Company Collectors Forum. See below.

All the dates in that post were taken from Tom Kalcevic's book based on his personal research.

He dated that stamp 1911 - 1921. Whether or not Tom's dates are accurate is anyone's guess. However, I use them, I quote them, but I never claim them to be perfectly correct.

I cannot opine as to the dog etch, but I doubt it has anything to do with The Terrier Cutlery Company. The knife does overlap the date period with Terrier, but I don't think it applies to Terrier.

I've never seen that etch before. Possibly, the knife was made for a group or a corporation.

Irving S. Robeson, the son that principally ran Robeson Cutlery after Millard died in 1903, was an avid sportsman. He was a competitive horseman and a successful amateur golfer. I have always thought that he probably also bred American Staffordshire Terriers, Pit Bulls. I think that's how he came up with the Terrier side brand in 1910. Did his love for the breed explain the etch on this knife? Interesting question, but I have no idea.

Also, I'm not sure I've ever seen that pattern knife before.

Nice.

Charlie
Attachments
WebRochesterNYStamp.jpg
WebRochesterNYStamp.jpg (17.68 KiB) Viewed 5333 times
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey Charlie, Very interesting history and my appreciation as I knew you would know the dates this stamping was used. As per the pattern,,,I call it a senators congress w/ nail file and its rather normal in other brands,,,1st I have seen in Robeson though.
Thank you very much
Kind Regards,
Mark
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

For anyone interested in owning a nice example from The Terrier Cutlery Company, circa 1910 to 1916, there is a four blade scout/utility for auction on Ebay.

Not mint, but easily "Excellent"

Only the second one I've ever seen, as far as I can recall and my recall gets shorter all the time.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-VINTAGE-TE ... SwrtVZtH-V

Not My Knife, Not My Auction, I'm Not Bidding.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey Guys, Thought I would post my Terrier Barlow. I have found for the most part(The NORM) that the "Bone" handles used on the "Barlow" pattern is always different looking than on other patterns by the same company. I not sure why though. For example,,Take a dog leg jack, Whittler or Folding hunter knife by Terrier,,,it will not have the same looking bone handles as their BARLOW!! This has always fascinated me for some reason.
Kind Regards,
Mark
Attachments
100_4984.JPG
100_4990.JPG
100_4987.JPG
100_5004.JPG
100_4993.JPG
100_4995.JPG
100_4996.JPG
100_4999.JPG
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I agree and I suspect we can thank J. Russell Cutlery Company for that. I think most manufacturers sought to have their Barlow knives look as much like a "genuine Russell Barlow" as they could.

We could probably take that premise all the way back to Obadiah Barlow. He used what appeared to be "saw-cut" bone, Russell followed suit and so did most everybody else.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey Charlie, I completely & totally agree with you 100%. That is very fascinating to me.
Kind Regards,
Mark
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

I was the lucky one to score the Terrier Utility/Camp knife that Charlie posted an alert about above. Nothing can beat the one Charlie owns but this is a very nice vintage Terrier. It has patina, some spotting, blade loss on main spear and has been sharpened but overall in very nice non messed with condition and was well taken care of. I don't think the other three blades have been sharpened at all. I am very pleased with this 100 plus year old vintage folder! Thanks Charlie for posting the "heads up" much appreciated!!
Attachments
IMG_1489.jpg
IMG_1488.jpg
IMG_1493.jpg
IMG_1494.jpg
IMG_1492.jpg
Lloyd
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Congratulations, Lloyd. ::tu::
That's a nice clean Camper and a great stamp.
Joe
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Lloyd I'm glad to see you got that one. I put in a bid but had to step over to the sidelines after I was outbid. I know it's in a good home. :wink:
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Great pickup, Lloyd, lovely knife! ::tu:: ::tu::
Dan
Dan
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Thanks Joe, Phil and Dan for your kind comments on this recently acquired Terrier--much appreciated!
Lloyd

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”