Landers Frary and Clark

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
Oledadsknives

Re: Landers Frary and Clark

Post by Oledadsknives »

Yes I agree reverand, ain’t no telling where or what this knife has been or done. I’m gonna leave it seperate from the rest just in case. Dad had it in this box with some other knives that needed some repair of some kind or just a little rough here and there. Thanks I’m glad you like it! I put the Renaissance wax to it!
Jimbo
You can lead a person to wisdom, but you can’t make them think ::nod::
Where I am is where I’ll be!!
Jimbo
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Recently, this pocket knife arrived in a very large group or lot of pocket knives that I bought. I did NOT buy the group or lot of pocket knives to obtain this particular pocket knife. In fact, after I checked it for any kind of mark, I tossed it into my "UNKNOWN" or "NO" tang stamp box. I pulled it out today and carefully attacked the tangs. I managed to reveal just enough of a tang stamp to be at least 99.999% sure that it is a L. F. & C. pocket knife. It is a L. F. & C., two blades, one tang stamp (on the secondary blade), 3 5/8" closed, pocket knife. The secondary blade front tang stamp says, at least what I can make out, "L. F. (over) NEW" It looks like it may possibly be a three line tang stamp. Each handle has a small crack in it. The main blade has wobble in all directions. The secondary blade has a crisp half stop and a crisp opening and closing snap. Overall, it is in FAIR condition. I cleaned it up a little. I took some pictures and here it is.
Caption(s), if any, are on the BOTTOM of the corresponding picture(s).
Click on a picture to ENLARGE.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
The Secondary Blade Front Tang Stamp.
The Secondary Blade Front Tang Stamp.
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
Oledadsknives

Post by Oledadsknives »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:45 pm Recently, this pocket knife arrived in a very large group or lot of pocket knives that I bought. I did NOT buy the group or lot of pocket knives to obtain this particular pocket knife. In fact, after I checked it for any kind of mark, I tossed it into my "UNKNOWN" or "NO" tang stamp box. I pulled it out today and carefully attacked the tangs. I managed to reveal just enough of a tang stamp to be at least 99.999% sure that it is a L. F. & C. pocket knife. It is a L. F. & C., two blades, one tang stamp (on the secondary blade), 3 5/8" closed, pocket knife. The secondary blade front tang stamp says, at least what I can make out, "L. F. (over) NEW" It looks like it may possibly be a three line tang stamp. Each handle has a small crack in it. The main blade has wobble in all directions. The secondary blade has a crisp half stop and a crisp opening and closing snap. Overall, it is in FAIR condition. I cleaned it up a little. I took some pictures and here it is.
Very nice old lf&c Skip.
Jimbo
Jimbo
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Oledadsknives wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:19 pm Very.....
Jimbo
Thank you, Jimbo. 🍻
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
Thomasg

Post by Thomasg »

bestgear wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:54 pm Here's a few more pieces that came with the purchase that included the display cases above and service catalogs. I feel very blessed to be the current conservator of these pictures and genuine advertisements from the magazines.
Some great pieces of history you have .The first add reminds me of past years when two men who liked knifes would meet .each would pull a knife out of pocket unseen in his right hand and left hand would be presented palm up .dropping knifes for trade is a custom seldom practiced these days .thank you for passing along history and reminding me of the good ole days .
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Thomasg wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:16 pm
Some great pieces of history you have .The first add reminds me of past years when two men who liked knifes would meet .each would pull a knife out of pocket unseen in his right hand and left hand would be presented palm up .dropping knifes for trade is a custom seldom practiced these days .thank you for passing along history and reminding me of the good ole days .
That tradition of “dropping knives” was alive and well in small town and rural Texas when I was young. Aside from old-timers I was around when a kid, I worked with a few guys in the early 1970s who were practitioners of the custom. There were a couple of guys at our church who were the last I know of who did it, or would even know what was happening if approached in the manner you’ve described. One of them has passed on, the other is in an assisted living facility with dementia.

They were old time traders of knives, horses, guitars, diamonds, coins and anything else they might make (or lose :lol: ) a buck on, through trading. I recall a couple of terms they frequently used that are rarely heard today. To “put the britches on” someone, meaning to get the better end of a trade. And “boot”, meaning to get (or give) cash in addition to the items being traded.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

My wife's step-dad, Harley Brown, who passed in 2014 at 97, used to say with a huge grin, "Boot hell, I wouldn't y' even". He was a great character. We sure miss him. Your story brought him to mind. J.O'.
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Duh! It was ,"Boot hell, I wouldn't SWAP y' even." Sorry, Pop. J.O'.
Oledadsknives

Post by Oledadsknives »

Yea down here I hear phrases like “ I’m gonna open a big can on ya”” meaning big can of whup ass! Or my dad used to tell me when I would show him a knife I bought, “you need to wrap a dollar around that knife and throw it away. The dollar is so you can say you threw something away. All in fun!!
Jimbo
3030remchesterCOLO

Post by 3030remchesterCOLO »

About to post this one in the stockman section.
20230406_153557.jpg
20230406_153606.jpg
20230406_153625.jpg
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This Landers, Frary and Clark pocket knife arrived recently in a group or lot of pocket knives that I purchased. It now becomes my latest example to be posted under this topic or thread. I did NOT purchase the group or lot of pocket knives to obtain this particular pocket knife. However, it definitely turned out to be a keeper and it did get added to my general, pocket knife accumulation. It is a L. F. & C., two blades, one tang stamp, 2 13/16" closed, mother of pearl handles/scales, tipped bolsters, one spring, pocket knife. The main blade front tang stamp says, "L.F. & C. (over) U.S.A." One side displays a FEW NICE colors. The other side displays MANY, MANY, BEAUTIFUL colors. Unfortunately, my camera just can NOT capture the full beauty of this pocket knife. The main blade does NOT have a half stop and NO opening or closing snap. The secondary blade also has NO half stop and NO opening or closing snap. This pocket knife is in EXCELLENT condition. It did NOT need any cleaning at all. I just wiped it off. I took some pictures and here it is.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
The Main Blade Front Tang Stamp.
The Main Blade Front Tang Stamp.