Kingston U.S.A. Please post 'em!

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Kingston U.S.A. Please post 'em!

Post by muskrat man »

nice kingstons, I have a few kicking around somehwere, I'll dig around and pic them
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives
Paul M

Post by Paul M »

I found another Kingston on Ebay got it for $8.05 with free shipping! Nice little rope knife with great snap.
The other photo is to commemorate that 40 years ago today more than great knives were being made in the area. I was only 10 years old but two of my older cousins went.
They stopped at our house on the way up and back from the festival so I got a poster. It's been with me ever since.
Peace
Attachments
KingstonRope.jpg
WoodstockPoster.jpg
Paul M
ozzie marie

Post by ozzie marie »

Here are a few of my Kingstons. The Ulster box is the original box that is marked 1/2 dz. 250S and contained the Kingston model 250 on the right.

Keith
Attachments
Kingston.jpg
Loyalty and Respect are not purchased and owned for a lifetime, they are earned everyday.

Please visit my store at:
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ozziemarie
upnorth

Post by upnorth »

Nice Kingston, Paul, but stolen!! :shock:
And I was there with your cousins!! :mrgreen:

Great little group there, Ozzie M, box and all!!!! ::tu::
Utopia!! A chicken in every pot!! And a Barlow in every pocket!!!

Johnnie Fain would have approved!
1949 - 2009
LRV

Post by LRV »

Woodstock.
Schrade related? Yes!
The Woodstock poster should have said Wallkill as thats the where it was originally scheduled .
The festival had been planned but got denied at the last moment and Woodstock allowed it. I shoulda been there to celebrate my 18th b-day but as I remember, I had a great time anyways!

The concert was originally scheduled to take place in the 300-acre (1.2 km2) Mills Industrial Park (41°28′39″N 74°21′49″W) in northeast Middletown, Orange County, New York in Wallkill, Orange County, New York which Woodstock Ventures had leased for $100,000 in the Spring of 1969. Town officials were assured that no more than 50,000 would attend. Town residents immediately opposed the project. In early July the Town Board passed a law requiring a permit for any gathering over 5,000 people. On July 15, 1969 the Wallkill Zoning Board of Appeals officially banned the concert on the basis that the planned portable toilets would not meet town code.[13]
“A knife in a man’s hand is as precious as a diamond necklace on a woman’s neck” - Michael Mirando I.S.C.
LRV

Post by LRV »

“A knife in a man’s hand is as precious as a diamond necklace on a woman’s neck” - Michael Mirando I.S.C.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

OK, this thread is 8 months old and no one has mentioned the obvious, there was in reality two companies who used the Kingston name.

1. KINGSTON USA- c 1915-1958 A trademark used by D. Divine & Ulster.

2. KINGSTON CUTLERY CO.- c 1945-1947 This was an association formed during WII by Ulster (purchased in 1941 by Albert Baer) and Imperial Knife Companies. The name was used through 1958 by Schrade-Walden. Albert Baer was a real entrepreneur and organizer in the cutlery business, especially in this time frame. In January1941 Albert in partner with his brother Henry (Uncle Henry) assumed control of Ulster Knife Co. During WWII Ulster formed a co-operative with Imperial Knife Co. and between the two factories they produced more than half of the knives purchased by the US Armed Forced during WWII.

a. After the WWII, (about 1946)*, a joint company was formed called Kingston Cutlery Company of Walden NY. In 1946 or 1947 this company purchased Schrade Cut Co. and renamed it Schrade-Walden.
*EDIT-12/11/10 Further research has revealed to me that The Kingston Company was formed about 1941 or 1942.

b. In 1947 Kingston was dissolved and Imperial Knife Associated Companies was formed. The Kingston name was used through about 1958.

c. The Ulster name was used until about 1973. At that time the Schrade-Walden tang stamps were changed to Schrade N.Y. USA. About 1985 the name of the Association was changed to Imperial Schrade Corp.

I think most of the knives posted here have been from the later Kingston Cutlery Co., (post 1941) though I imagine the tang stamps are probably similar. ::shrug::

a) Does anyone have some earlier Kingston knives?
b) Can you post some pics?
c) Does anyone know who to tell the difference between knives made by the two different Kingston companies?
d) Does anyone have any Kingstons that just look old and might be from the pre-WWII era?

Surely with over 4,000 members of AAPK, someone has an old Ulster or two in their collection!

Let’s see them! ::tu::

Dale

Footnote- My source for the above information was “Goins’ Encyclopedia of Cutlery Markings”, 1998. To find all the info you have to look up Imperial, Kingston, Schrade and Ulster and compile the data.
Last edited by orvet on Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Correction of date
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

August, 1969, I was home on thirty days leave pursuant to going to Viet Nam. Sarah and I married on August 9th. She insisted. "Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all", she said.

I don't think attending Woodstock ever crossed our minds. :wink:

I love these Kingstons you all have posted to this thread.

That etched bone handled scout/utility and that red/grey celluloid penknife have got to be the best Kingstons I've ever seen, but bear in mind, I haven't looked at that many, being principally interested in Robeson and Terrier.

This site continues to amaze me. As I stated on a different thread, it's like going to a knife show and finding only great knives on every table.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
ozzie marie

Post by ozzie marie »

Here's 2 more Kingston's that I recently acquired ::nod::

Keith
Attachments
Kingstons.jpg
Loyalty and Respect are not purchased and owned for a lifetime, they are earned everyday.

orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I am glad you revived this thread Keith!

Here is a minty Kingston I picked up recently.
The blade is highly polished and won't scan for beans. It is etched "Kingston".
Pardon the scratches on my old scanner, I can't find my camera.

Dale
Attachments
Kingston Jack b.jpg
Dale
AAPK Administrator

FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I believe this is the only Kingston I have, but it's a nice one. It is 3 1/4" closed. Brass liners and spring pin. Unsharpened!
Very solid little knife. No wobble(X3). I think the celluloid scales are really nice looking. If it weren't for the fact that the scales are shrinking It would be a doozy instead of just plain nice.
Attachments
008.JPG
010.JPG
012.JPG
Joe
thawk

Post by thawk »

FRJ wrote:I believe this is the only Kingston I have, but it's a nice one. It is 3 1/4" closed. Brass liners and spring pin. Unsharpened!
Very solid little knife. No wobble(X3). I think the celluloid scales are really nice looking. If it weren't for the fact that the scales are shrinking It would be a doozy instead of just plain nice.
Although not a Kingston, this Ulster 55 shows some signs of being related to yours:

Both of these are marked Ulster 55. I agree FRJ, the scales are eye catching.
Hal
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Your right thawk, there are a lot of similarities there. Nice knife. I like that serpintine stockman next to it.
Nice looking blades. I especially like that muskrat style clip. Elegant. Thanks. Joe
Joe
Darksev

Post by Darksev »

Glad this one popped up again. I think Kingston is a very underrated brand. I've rebuilt a few of them and they are fantastic knives for what they were, not to mention some of the cleanest swedges in the industry :D. Here are two Kingston Jacks that were rebuilt a few years ago (a cigar jack in Sycamore lace, and a serp. jack in oak burl)

I picked up another rescue a while back that has been in my to-do pile all year, it's one of the small 3" serp jacks. Melted handles, but the blades were in great shape. I'll get around to that one sooner or later :mrgreen:
ozzie marie

Post by ozzie marie »

Adam,

Fantastic job with those Kingstons ::tu:: I love the oak burl ::nod::

Here's a K-340 I just purchased

Keith
Attachments
Kingston K-340.jpg

Edgewise

Post by Edgewise »

Orvet's history posts got me interested in Kingston after I saw this beauty in his store.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (21.39 KiB) Viewed 4972 times
I love the unusual swedged, long-pull spear and everything else about the knife, except the celluloid (the material not the design). But when I saw it in this post from about eight years ago, I noticed that the celluloid has held very stable in that time.
I just wondered if everyone featured their Kingstons or if there are some more to add after eight years (muskrat man?).
I also wanted to give someone else the chance to grab this one before I cave. :mrgreen:
LanG

Post by LanG »

My one and only. It isn't anything special, but it holds a very nice edge.
CIMG7388.JPG
Lan
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Here's a couple(I think I have more but can't locate them at the moment):Two Military issue knives and a serpentine jack.
Attachments
Kingston 001.jpg
Kingston 002.jpg
KingstonSerpJack 001.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I had to look to see if I even had a Kingston and I have these 2. One is a 3 1/4" pen and the other is a 3 11/16" cattle knife. The cattle knife does not have any tang stamping except for USA, but I have seen Kingston K-320 cattle knives that are identical and were only etched on the blade "Kingston". My pen is tang stamped Kingston.
IMG_2099.JPG
IMG_1961.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Ok, now you all got me curious, I will have to check and see how many Kingstons I have left.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

KleenCut61

Post by KleenCut61 »

My Best Kingston ! Hope You Like , A Reversed Dogleg Jack ( Correct me If I am Wrong ) with Celluloid Swirl .. Eye catching Pattern IMO ...KC
Attachments
Model #5075
Model #5075
Model# 5075
Model# 5075
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

Official Girl Scout and 2 variations of the official Boy Scout
Attachments
C694049A-2DCF-4AB9-BEA7-E5FCF251EACA.jpeg
E848FD1F-EC8F-49BE-B175-A197C3BBE5E0.jpeg
C7E03C89-680F-452E-AEE7-C06581D7E984.jpeg
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives
bladebuddy

Post by bladebuddy »

Here is what I have, a two blade equal end jack 3 3/8 closed. It was hard to photograph but you can just make out the "Kingston USA " blade etch. I used to have a three blade but, I gave it to my brother who lives in Kingston NY.
Kleencut your dogleg jack is truly unusual, thank you for showing it.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Steve B.
Keep your edge sharp, otherwise you just can't cut it.

Looking for Carrier Cutlery and early Robeson with Elmira tang stamps.
KleenCut61

Post by KleenCut61 »

Glad You Like Steve , Half stops on Both Blades , 3 1/2" in Length ,High Quality IMO , Best Guess Date , Pre War ? Some More ::tu:: Pic's Celluloid Seems To fair Better on the earlier Model Than the Post war ones , I wouldn't Mind finding Out Why That Is if Any one Know's . ::hmm:: Great Knives Folks ::tu::
Attachments
100_1662.JPG
100_1663.JPG
100_1664.JPG
100_1665.JPG
eveled

Post by eveled »

I have this odd little 3 blade Kingston. Also some others that are not marked.at all that look like Kingston's.
Attachments
IMG_20180329_234614585.jpg

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”