The All Scout Knives Thread

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
michaelspayth

Re: The All Scout Knives Thread

Post by michaelspayth »

Until I happen to stumble across the correct parts needed to restore this one...
Attachments
PicsArt_08-29-06.00.04.jpg
20190829_204819.jpg
20190829_125733.jpg
20190829_125913.jpg
20190829_125755.jpg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

LongBlade wrote:Nice Ken ::tu:: ::tu:: ... interesting design on caplifter ::hmm:: ... funny thing is I have yet to add a scout knife to the pile but if I found a Miller Bros that itch would be sorted :) ... or a nice Challenge Scout for that matter ::nod:: ...
I have both a Miller Bros and a Challenge but unfortunately only one of each, else you'd have one Lee. As for the Miller Bros lifter design it is unique. Combination cap lifter/screwdriver/acetylene light wrench. If you think when these were made, the acetylene wrench came in pretty handy. Not sure why the "backside" of the wrench is round though, as most you see have square corners. Makes me think maybe there was yet another function for it as well as acetylene lamps. ::shrug::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Mumbleypeg wrote:
LongBlade wrote:Nice Ken ::tu:: ::tu:: ... interesting design on caplifter ::hmm:: ... funny thing is I have yet to add a scout knife to the pile but if I found a Miller Bros that itch would be sorted :) ... or a nice Challenge Scout for that matter ::nod:: ...
I have both a Miller Bros and a Challenge but unfortunately only one of each, else you'd have one Lee. As for the Miller Bros lifter design it is unique. Combination cap lifter/screwdriver/acetylene light wrench. If you think when these were made, the acetylene wrench came in pretty handy. Not sure why the "backside" of the wrench is round though, as most you see have square corners. Makes me think maybe there was yet another function for it as well as acetylene lamps. ::shrug::

Ken
Thanks Ken ::tu:: ...

Interesting and makes sense as you mention given early 1900s... I imagine an acetylene key would be handy as scouts most likely had acetylene lanterns back at that time... unique 8) !!
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

michaelspayth wrote:Until I happen to stumble across the correct parts needed to restore this one...
Hey I dig the googly eye!! ::tu::
My daughter would love it , she puts those things on everything.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Campbellclanman

Post by Campbellclanman »

michaelspayth - Thats a great old CATT! ::tu::
michaelspayth

Post by michaelspayth »

Thanks! It was actually one of the first few knives that I ever bought.
michaelspayth

Post by michaelspayth »

A few..
Attachments
20190909_132912.jpg
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

I just picked up my third, Camp Fire Girls utensil kit knife. So now I have two Imperial and one BOKER Camp Fire Girls knives to add to my Imperial, BOKER and Geo Schrade Boy Scout and Girl Scout utensil kit knives collection.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This Imperial Scout knife "should" arrive next week. It is my first Imperial Scout knife with this style shield. Except for some blade spotting, it appears to be in very good condition. I'll give it the once over when I receive it and post MY pictures in the appropriate location(s). These are the seller's pictures.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (11.7 KiB) Viewed 3826 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (12.05 KiB) Viewed 3826 times

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

My newest (to me) Imperial Scout knife. My second Imperial, but my first with this style shield. It also has a different tang stamp. I gave it a light cleaning to make it a bit more presentable and here it is. The "before" pictures are just above this post. The last picture shows the difference between the two shields.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
Hak1911

Post by Hak1911 »

A repost but a Nice Schrade CutCo ::groove::
Attachments
955FC302-B197-4833-B4C5-77130A1B8A53.jpeg
1F4A1382-9F41-474F-A653-3AE349FD3651.jpeg
FC11E227-86FC-441A-AEF2-7321FA60AD83.jpeg
6DBF35B6-A004-49B2-A5A5-8BB5610717A2.jpeg
Looking for a user Schrade CutCo 8813 ......
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I acquired this Camillus Boy Scout knife recently. I am not a Boy Scout collector and I was hoping to date this knife. When I picked it up I thought it was Ulster so I was surprised when I saw the Official Knife etch on the blade and the CAMILLUS/STAINLESS/USA tang stamp. It’s a nice knife in great condition so I bought it.

I asked Phil what he could tell me about it, he scratched his head and directed me here.

Are any of you good folks who collect Scout Knives familiar with this Camillus?
If so what can you tell me about it?

Thank ya’ll in advance for your help. ::tu::

Camillus Boy Scout c.jpg
Camillus Boy Scout Etch.jpg
Camillus Boy Scout a.jpg
Camillus Boy Scout b.jpg
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

orvet wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:26 pm I acquired this Camillus Boy Scout knife recently. I am not a Boy Scout collector and I was hoping to date this knife. When I picked it up I thought it was Ulster so I was surprised when I saw the Official Knife etch on the blade and the CAMILLUS/STAINLESS/USA tang stamp. It’s a nice knife in great condition so I bought it.

I asked Phil what he could tell me about it, he scratched his head and directed me here.

Are any of you good folks who collect Scout Knives familiar with this Camillus?
If so what can you tell me about it?

Thank ya’ll in advance for your help. ::tu::
Dale, I know absolutely nothing about the details of Scout Knives. I do however, have a good book on Scout Knives.
Here are 2 pages that deal with Camillus Scout Knives. Maybe yours is included. ::shrug::
Sorry if you can't read them or they won't ENLARGE. I still can't post pictures correctly.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Thank you Skip, the pictures are fine and they will get larger when I click on them.
I’m not sure if it has the knife I’m looking for on it or not. There’s only one I see that comes close to it, and it’s on the first page; the one numbered CAM 12 BR.
The length is correct, the blade count is correct, it has a brown handle, I’m not sure if that’s what they call Brown/Yellow handle or not. The etch they have listed appears to be correct, it has the round shield, permanent bail, plane bolsters and three rivets in the handles.

This appears to be the right, maybe one of the scout knife collectors would be so kind as to confirm it if this is the correct knife. ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

rustyoldknife
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by rustyoldknife »

Dale
I believe you are correct in that your Knife is similar to CAM12BR that Kerr describes in 600 Scout Knives (1997)
but I think your Stainless version was either missed by the reviewer or produced after Kerr's book was published.
Kerr lists both a Black (CAM11BR) and Brown/Yellow CAM12BR) handle 4 blade knife but does not list Stainless.
But in Ed Holbrook's Official Scout Blades (1998) he pictures and describes a Camillus Black handle, 4 blade Stainless BSA #1996
Manufactured in the same time frame c1989 to present (2007)

David
Rustyoldknife
Attachments
CAM12BR.JPG
CAM12BR1.JPG
David
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Thank you David.
I appreciate your expertise! ::handshake::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is a Camillus 5" double lock back with jigged Delrin handles and a Boy Scout emblem shield. It appears 'mint' but there is no B.S.A. blade etch.
Is this an official B.S.A. knife ? If yes, should there be a B.S.A. etch on the master blade ?
thanks for the help,
kj
Attachments
IMGP7737.JPG
IMGP7738.JPG
IMGP7739.JPG
rustyoldknife
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by rustyoldknife »

Kootenay joe

Yes it should have a blade etch, this is my example and a description from Kerr's 600 Scout knives.

CAM30BR 5.00" 2-Blade Camillus Lockback "Woodsman," Brown Handle
BSA#1068. MB(M): CAMILLUS/<line>/NEW YORK/USA. TF shield. MB(etch): OFFICIAL<>KNIFE/BOY SCOUTS
<>OF AMERICA with TF crossing lines at <>. 4-rivet. Blade and saw. Hole in handle. 1989-present.

Yours is still a good looking example

rustyoldknife
Attachments
IMG_1403M.JPG
David
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Rusty thank you for this info and for posting a picture of your knife showing the etch. Mine does not appear to have been buffed so likely it did not get etched. I wonder how much the lack of etch decreases the value ? maybe by 50% ?? I am not a collector of B.S.A. knives so i am guessing at how knives lacking the B.S.A. etch are valued.
The sheath i have for it is a perfect fit but again it is plain, no "B.S.A." embossed on it so it might not be the official sheath ?
kj
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

KJ...the nail nicks are in two different places, on the master blade. Also yours has two nicklesilver pins, rustyoldknife's has all brass. Appear to be from two different runs?
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
rustyoldknife
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by rustyoldknife »

kootenay joe

You very well may be right about it never had a etch.
There are many different variations of this same Camillus scout knife all with the same catalog number.
I haven't seen any of this model come with a sheath.

As far as value it depends on the day of the week and interested bidders,
I have seen NIB with etch sell from $40 to $100 but most go around $60 to $70

rushyoldknife
David
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Good spotting to note nail nick positions not the same. My bet is that this pattern was made at least twice in small runs. Wallace R. who ran the Camillus Custom Shop for 35 years told me that this double lock back pattern was a real challenge to make. The blades often end up with little to no snap. He did not explain why this is.
In any pattern with a blade etch there always are a few knives that come out with no etch, but i don't know how this happens. I would think that a collector of B.S.A. knives would definitely want his knives to have the B.S.A. blade etch.
kj
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Yesterday, this BEAR MGC made it into my collection. These are MY pictures. Click on a picture to ENLARGE.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:43 pm Yesterday, this BEAR MGC made it into my collection. These are MY pictures. Click on a picture to ENLARGE.
First Bear MGC Boy Scout “whittler“ I recall seeing, Skip. Has a nice blade etch. The Boy Scout emblem appears melted into the handle cover? Is the quality on par with the Camillus originals?

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:16 am
New_Windsor_NY wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:43 pm Yesterday, this BEAR MGC made it into my collection. These are MY pictures. Click on a picture to ENLARGE.
First Bear MGC Boy Scout “whittler“ I recall seeing, Skip. Has a nice blade etch. The Boy Scout emblem appears melted into the handle cover? Is the quality on par with the Camillus originals?

Ken
Hi Ken. Yes, to me the quality is top notch. All 3 blades have a snap that would embarrass a crocodile. None of the blades have any wobble. The handles show no signs of shrinking. The springs, bolsters and the liner all look fantastic. It has the nice blade etch and a nice, deep, legible tang stamp. Whether or not the blades hold an edge, I don't plan on finding out. This is just for my collection and won't be used or carried. I have no problems at all with this purchase. ::tu::

Skip

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”