Wharncliffe Knives

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
Ivoryman

Re: Wharncliffe Knives

Post by Ivoryman »

knifeaddict, loved going through your pics here, you have some great ones. Like a Case museum, very fine stag and other stuff. Thanks for posting and showing some very drool worthy pieces. Great group.

Thank you too Papa bones, appreciate that. Another fine looker from Q. Glad you like.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
knifeaddict1965
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaddict1965 »

Thanks I-man, appreciate your kind words....
Kevin
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

A few Wharnies for the show:
Attachments
Kizer Vanguard Swaggs Sway Back Liner Lock Green G-10
Kizer Vanguard Swaggs Sway Back Liner Lock Green G-10
Spyderco Air
Spyderco Air
Pena Front Flipper Natural Jade G-10
Pena Front Flipper Natural Jade G-10
2016 GEC Northfield #47 Viper Natural Stag
2016 GEC Northfield #47 Viper Natural Stag
Brother 1506 Lockback Amber Jigged Bone
Brother 1506 Lockback Amber Jigged Bone
Brother Watchman Lockback Carbon Fiber
Brother Watchman Lockback Carbon Fiber
~Q~
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

QTCut5 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:29 pm A few Wharnies for the show:
Good looking group "Q". How do you like the Kizer? I've been wondering about those.
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Papa Bones wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:39 pm Good looking group "Q". How do you like the Kizer? I've been wondering about those.
Thanks, Smitty. I was surprised with the Kizer Vanguard Swaggs Sway Back; wasn't expecting it to be as nice as it is. Very well made, solid knife. The Vanguard Sway Back comes in two versions: a button lock and a liner lock, in a variety of colored G-10 handles. Mine is the Green liner lock version and I must say I am very impressed with it. They retail for $59.00, although I managed to win mine at an eBay auction for $41.00 and I feel it's worth every penny and more. In fact, I've already placed an order for another one (different color) because I like it that much. I would recommend it even for the full retail price. ::nod::
~Q~
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

QTCut5 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 1:15 am
Papa Bones wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:39 pm Good looking group "Q". How do you like the Kizer? I've been wondering about those.
Thanks, Smitty. I was surprised with the Kizer Vanguard Swaggs Sway Back; wasn't expecting it to be as nice as it is. Very well made, solid knife. The Vanguard Sway Back comes in two versions: a button lock and a liner lock, in a variety of colored G-10 handles. Mine is the Green liner lock version and I must say I am very impressed with it. They retail for $59.00, although I managed to win mine at an eBay auction for $41.00 and I feel it's worth every penny and more. In fact, I've already placed an order for another one (different color) because I like it that much. I would recommend it even for the full retail price. ::nod::
Thanks for the review "Q". ::tu::
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Great line up Q. Loved looking those over. Interesting to hear the Kizer review too. Thanks.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Here's the other one I got in a different color. Love the black & orange contrast.
Attachments
P6030009.JPG
P6030008.JPG
~Q~
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Another Kizer---This one's called the "Splinter"; it' has a 4" (closed) sculpted, rainbow-anodized, frame-lock titanium handle.
Attachments
P6030013.JPG
P6030016.JPG
~Q~
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Case Copperlock
Attachments
IMG_2310.JPG
David
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Excellent. Just bloody excellent.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Q, I have only one Kizer which has served me well for many years. It is interesting to see the fresh designs Kizer is offering.
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:39 am Excellent. Just bloody excellent.
Thank you Jerry!
David
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

One more for the road. This one has Red G-10 and a button-lock instead of a liner- or frame-lock like my other Kizers.
Attachments
P6120022.JPG
P6120024.JPG
~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

~Q~, what's to say other than I like it!!!! I must admit, I'm a bit envious.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

That is one good looking knife. Congratulations Q.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Mahalo guys...appreciate the positive comments. ::tu:: ::nod::

Here's my latest Wharncliffe acquisition: Zenith Germany 905 black composition handle:
Attachments
P6140001.JPG
P6140003.JPG
~Q~
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Nice looking wide, stout wharn Q. I like the equal end too. Very smooth. Nice piece.
This one just came and was an immediate hit with the long, slow, slender curve and rounded ends and love the wharn it has and even the single finger flipper lever. The micarta has great texture too, not smooth like some micarta. Fast precision flick open and smooth as silk movement. Great tight lock up and when you push the liner lock asside, the blade free falls back through the arc to closed.
Attachments
thumbnail_20220610_110423.jpg
thumbnail_20220610_110451 (1).jpg
thumbnail_20220611_184658.jpg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Iman, who made this super fine knife?
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Quick Steel wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:57 am Iman, who made this super fine knife?
Thanks Quick, I concur, fine it is. It's called a Cazador, from Artisan Cutlery. Glad you like.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Ivoryman wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:39 am Nice looking wide, stout wharn Q. I like the equal end too. Very smooth. Nice piece.
This one just came and was an immediate hit with the long, slow, slender curve and rounded ends and love the wharn it has and even the single finger flipper lever. The micarta has great texture too, not smooth like some micarta. Fast precision flick open and smooth as silk movement. Great tight lock up and when you push the liner lock asside, the blade free falls back through the arc to closed.
Mahalo, Ivoryman.

That Artisan Cazador is a beauty. I've been eyeing those for a few weeks and was vacillating between just buying one (as I am wont to do whenever I have a particular knife in my crosshairs) or waiting until next month when my self-imposed, one month moratorium on new knife purchases has expired and my bank account has (almost) recovered from the last few months of reckless spending ::undecided::. However, your (excellent) photos and (informative) review was the final straw that broke my resolve causing me to throw caution (and more money) to the wind and order one for myself (although in a different handle material) ::facepalm:: .
~Q~
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

QTCut5 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:40 am
Ivoryman wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:39 am Nice looking wide, stout wharn Q. I like the equal end too. Very smooth. Nice piece.
Mahalo, Ivoryman.

That Artisan Cazador is a beauty. I've been eyeing those for a few weeks and was vacillating between just buying one (as I am wont to do whenever I have a particular knife in my crosshairs) or waiting until next month when my self-imposed, one month moratorium on new knife purchases has expired and my bank account has (almost) recovered from the last few months of reckless spending ::undecided::. However, your (excellent) photos and (informative) review was the final straw that broke my resolve causing me to throw caution (and more money) to the wind and order one for myself (although in a different handle material) ::facepalm:: .

Thanks a ton Q, really appreciate the comments. I hope you're as satisfied with yours as I have become. I bought it for the looks and smooth, graceful curves and lines and the micarta and that sweet blade. But it has gotten my allegience for more than that. Great build quality and everything. So happy with it and hope you will be too. Let us see it and know how you like it. Thanks again my friend. Mahalo back. ::tu:: ::super_happy::
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

DM11 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:25 pm Case Copperlock
All nice guys! David, that's a beauty!! :)
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Maroon micarta and gold trim completes the hunt for me. I'm impressed with these. I would sell these. They would sell themselves. Nothing but good to say about the knife, the box, the pouch, the workings, looks. Everything. I do think the Maroon micarta version has one slight. It has a run of the mill, same old same old pocket clip that is OK/fine, but disappointing when it's next to the other two which have very smooth, minimalist, aestetically pleasing and to me quite stylish pocket clips. I cannot say enough how much I like the two blue pocket clips. But look at them together with the other one and is's sad they are even in the same league. I give the blue clips a 10, out of the park. I give the other one a 4, got on base with a walk because I'm feeling generous today. YRMV.
Attachments
thumbnail_20220616_144349.jpg
thumbnail_20220616_144429.jpg
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Great group shot, Ivoryman. Those Artisan Cazadors are smooth looking knives. Love the different trim options you chose. ::tu::

Here's a group shot of some stag Wharncliffe Whittlers from my archives (not recent acquisitions).
Attachments
P6170853.JPG
~Q~

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”