Belt buckle knife #1

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
prober996
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Belt buckle knife #1

Post by prober996 »

Here is a beautiful belt buckle/knife made by Nolen Knives in the 1990s. I've never seen another one like it. I've seen an ivory model at an auction site, but never a German silver and turquoise one. The blade is marked "NOLEN". My amateur photo doesn't do this buckle/knife justice. It is beautiful. My understanding is that both Nolen brothers died a number of years ago, and one of their sons is now running the business. I am also showing a photo of a small fixed blade Nolen knife with wood scales, and that one is marked "NK".
IMG_4931.JPEG
IMG_4929.JPEG
IMG_4930.JPEG
IMG_4860.jpg
knife7knut

Re: Belt buckle knife #1

Post by knife7knut »

A beautiful buckle to be sure! I'm not 100 percent sure, but that may have been made by Steve Nolen; Jim Nolen's son. Steve is a very talented knifemaker from Longmont Colorado. I spoke with him years ago when I had him verify a bolo tie w/knife(unmarked) I bought on e-bay. Here is a pic of the bolo & my Nolen Bros. belt buckle I've had since the 1980's. By the way; is the wood handled one another knife?
Attachments
IMG_6310.edit1.jpg
IMG_0623.edit1.edit1.edit1.edit1.edit1.edit1.edit1.edit1.edit1.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

I think the Nolen brothers used whatever buckles they could get to effectively mount their knives to. Mine is much more plain than the 2 buckles pictured above.

Here is a Nolan buckle I've had for many years along with a buckle that I made. Anacotes brass works made the buckle to my design. Inspired by the Nolen buckle I made 26 of these buckle type knives.
Attachments
IMG_5998.JPG
IMG_5999.JPG
IMG_6001.JPG
IMG_6004.JPG
IMG_6006.JPG
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Beautiful work Wayne! . That Nolen buckle looks tn be from the mid-1970's; thanks for showing it & yours!
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
prober996
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by prober996 »

Wow, very cool guys! Thanks for the education and photos. The knife buckle always gets a lot of attention when I wear it.

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”