Which to choose?

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
KTK

Which to choose?

Post by KTK »

Hi people,

I am looking for a new do-all knife. This knife will need to do everything you can imagine for camping and hunting, other than batoning or prying. I refuse to do either of those with my knives.
I like big fixed blades.
I had a Buck 124, and I loved it. Unfortunately, I made a stupid decision to sell it.
I've narrowed my new blade down to two choices.
Another Buck 124, or a Ka-Bar D2 1282 extreme.
I can't decide which one to get.
I like the look of them both. One is classic Bowie, the other is more utilitarian. Both seem to have strong followings.
I read that the D2 steel in a Ka-Bar is stronger, than the 420HC Buck uses, but that D2 doesn't have good corrosion resistance. Not really a big deal, as I always clean and dry my knives.
One thing I noticed about the Buck was that the handle did get slick when wet. Not sure how the Ka-Bar would be when wet.
I'm not really leaning either way yet, and buying both is not an option at this point.
Does anyone have any input? I would appreciate hearing any thoughts. Thanks.
Attachments
download.jpeg
download.jpeg (4.35 KiB) Viewed 762 times
1282_Overview.jpg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Which to choose?

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I can’t give you any knowledgeable experience with either knife but can tell you assuming that’s leather the handle will not be slippery when wet. In fact that is one of the primary reasons leather was used on that model.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by ken98k »

My choice would be the Buck, I have both (my Ka-bars are not serrated) but the Buck is a better chopper and wont rust.
Also, I hate serrated blades
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!
eveled

Post by eveled »

Definitely the Buck. The 124 is in a class by itself.
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

I have the KaBar USMC and it's a great knife, very stout and I have used it hard through the years for camp type work, including prying, digging and chopping wood and it has held up well. That style was designed as a hard use utility knife so it is up to the task. I sure don't use it as a hunting knife. It's far too big for gutting and skinning a whitetail...or squirrel or rabbit. It could work in a pinch, but a smaller fixed blade is better designed for that type of work. Maybe you are dealing with bigger game than I do though. I leave my camp knife in camp for the most part, and when in the woods after game carry a small fixed blade or a locking folder.
Just my thoughts.
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by ken98k »

Wondering what the op chose?
::shrug::
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”