Jay Bigler: His fixed-blade knives

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
MaryJayn Bigler

Re: Jay Bigler: His fixed-blade knives

Post by MaryJayn Bigler »

This early knife is unusual for the fact that it is dated... 1997. "Jay Bigler" is engraved on the other side.
Attachments
IMG_3603 jbc.jpg
MaryJayn Bigler

No two are alike, but this one gets pretty close to one that I posted on Dec. 4. There are differences, but they are slight.
Attachments
IMG_3747 jbc.jpg
MaryJayn Bigler

Antler and steel...
Attachments
IMG_3844 jbc main.jpg
MaryJayn Bigler

White and gold...
Attachments
IMG_4027 jbc main.jpg
MaryJayn Bigler

Yes, Dad used a lot of white...
Attachments
IMG_4048 jbc main.jpg
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Those last three look like they would be excellent skinners. Thanks for posting! ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
MaryJayn Bigler

1967redrider wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:55 pm Those last three look like they would be excellent skinners. Thanks for posting! ::tu::
You're welcome!
MaryJayn Bigler

I really like the pattern on this blade. It shifts as it is moved in the light.
Attachments
IMG_4154 jbc main.jpg
IMG_4155 jbc.jpg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

All great skinners you've been posting M.J.! ::tu:: The all-metal folder in your store is also very cool! There's a specific name for that dimpling on the blade, I think it's Japanese but I can't recall the name! 8)
8)
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by ken98k »

Madmarco wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:14 am All great skinners you've been posting M.J.! ::tu:: The all-metal folder in your store is also very cool! There's a specific name for that dimpling on the blade, I think it's Japanese but I can't recall the name! 8)
It's called jewelling and commonly found on firearms. The actual purpose for it is to help retain oil on the surface to which it has been applied.
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

I enjoy your post and your Dad's knives Mary-Jayn
MaryJayn Bigler

Madmarco wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:14 am All great skinners you've been posting M.J.! ::tu:: The all-metal folder in your store is also very cool! There's a specific name for that dimpling on the blade, I think it's Japanese but I can't recall the name! 8)
Thanks, Marco! And thanks for checking out items in my "store". I am very grateful that I can list them for sale here.
MaryJayn Bigler

ken98k wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:55 pm
It's called jewelling and commonly found on firearms. The actual purpose for it is to help retain oil on the surface to which it has been applied.
Thank you for the information, Ken. I have learned something new today. Always a good day when one can learn something new. :-)
MaryJayn Bigler

doglegg wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:01 pm I enjoy your post and your Dad's knives Mary-Jayn
Thank you, doglegg!
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

ken98k wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:55 pm
Thanks for the info Ken! ::handshake:: I learned something new today too! 8)
8)
MaryJayn Bigler

A "middle period" knife...
Attachments
IMG_4330 jbc main.jpg
MaryJayn Bigler

Well, this is it for the old photos and the pictures of Dad's fixed-blade knives that I have sold. I wanted to group these together to show how Dad's gun-stock knives evolved over time. There are a couple of them in the group photo that I posted several weeks ago on the forum with Dad's folding knives. All of the knives in that photo were made in 2004 and the first part of 2005. Of the other two pictures, the one with the sheath that looks much like a gun scabbard is the first one he ever made. The other is for sale here in my store. As you can see, they got less detailed and more "free form" in a way.
Attachments
knives 2004 or 2005.jpg
IMG_5090 jbc.jpg
IMG_6123 jbc main.jpg
MaryJayn Bigler

If you have checked out my "store", you have probably seen these photographs of these knives already. In case you haven't, here are the fixed blades that I have listed there so far. There will be more of both folding knives (those have already been posted in the other forum about those) and the fixed-blades. Thank you to all who have checked out the two forums where I have been showing Dad's work.
Attachments
IMG_5262 jbc main.jpg
IMG_5836 e main.jpg
IMG_5919 jbc main.jpg
IMG_6149 aapk 98 jantz.jpg
IMG_6170 aapk main.jpg
MaryJayn Bigler

New in the "store"...
Attachments
IMG_4058 jbc.jpg
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Those gunstocks are very cool. 😎👍👍
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
MaryJayn Bigler

1967redrider wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:59 pm Those gunstocks are very cool. 😎👍👍
:D
MaryJayn Bigler

Top drawer! Literally. Yes, it's a nice knife, and it's new in my store. Dad stored it in the top drawer of the map chest that Mom and I gave Dad one year for Christmas for keeping his knives. The chest has five drawers. Dad filled that up pretty fast. That's why I have found knives everywhere around the house. :-)
Attachments
IMG_6187 main.jpg
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

I've said before that I briefly had a Jay Bigler knife in my hands last year, when it made a stopover on an international trek. Lately I've become more interested in fixed blades, and hopefully I'll be able to pick up a Jay Bigler fixed blade of my own one day. They sure are nice!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
MaryJayn Bigler

Dan In MI wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:00 pm I've said before that I briefly had a Jay Bigler knife in my hands last year, when it made a stopover on an international trek. Lately I've become more interested in fixed blades, and hopefully I'll be able to pick up a Jay Bigler fixed blade of my own one day. They sure are nice!
I would love to hear more of that story and the knife!
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Of course!

A fellow AAPK member asked me to forward it to him, and I agreed. The knife had a drop point blade (if I recall correctly) that had a dark coating. "Jay Bigler Anna, IL" was engraved or stamped in script. I'm pretty sure the handles were stag. I really liked the look and feel of it. Now I wish I had taken more detailed notes and/or not deleted the photos I sent to the knife's new owner.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”