Randall question

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
tongueriver

Randall question

Post by tongueriver »

Does anyone know how many employees work at Randall Made Knives?

Duh... Never mind. "About 20."
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Randall question

Post by jerryd6818 »

According to Google:

Randall began making knives as a hobby in 1937. His son and grandson continue the family trade along with 20 craftsmen producing about 8,000 knives per year out of a shop on South Orange Blossom Trail.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I once saw a Randall offered for sale in the Exchange of another forum under the category "custom knives," and a moderator got all over him for it, as Randalls are "not custom knives." I happen to know that every knife from Randall made is completely made by hand. All of the knives except a few of the smallest are hand-forged. It takes a six year wait to get one. So, what is a custom? Ruanas are made by two brothers. Custom? Do any of the "custom" makers have help? What about 5 people in a shop? Custom? I smell an anal moderator here, but that forum is known for it.
BWT

Post by BWT »

I was there in March with three friends, one which is a friend of Jason the grandson. We wanted to see their museum which is unbelievable. Well worth the trip if you are in the area but make sure it’s open. Jason took the three of us on a private tour and was very gracious and informative. They have a really nice Scagel collection along with thousands of other knives including Randalls. There is a 58 month waiting list when I was there.
Bill
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

If you want a Randall, it's easier to find one that's being sold than waiting in my opinion. It is usually slightly cheaper to order one, but I don't think I would have the patience.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

1967redrider wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 11:16 pm If you want a Randall, it's easier to find one that's being sold than waiting in my opinion. It is usually slightly cheaper to order one, but I don't think I would have the patience.
I have always bought Randalls from dealers. I might be dead by the time I got one from Randall. I am not a young man.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

tongueriver wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:43 pm I once saw a Randall offered for sale in the Exchange of another forum under the category "custom knives," and a moderator got all over him for it, as Randalls are "not custom knives." I happen to know that every knife from Randall made is completely made by hand. All of the knives except a few of the smallest are hand-forged. It takes a six year wait to get one. So, what is a custom? Ruanas are made by two brothers. Custom? Do any of the "custom" makers have help? What about 5 people in a shop? Custom? I smell an anal moderator here, but that forum is known for it.
One guy working by himself can only make a limited number of knives. That’s how they started, but any who have a modicum of success will have more demand than one person working alone can support. Apparently that’s the moderator’s definition of ”custom” but many successful custom makers I know of (G.W. Stone, Barry Dawson, Tony Bose) have (or had), a few employees assisting with some of the processes. Read the stories in Knife Magazine featuring the work of custom makers and you routinely see them crediting someone, be it a son, wife, or hired employees, instrumental in their knife production. But the design, finishing, tempering, and other critical process elements are done (or closely overseen), by the maker whose name is on the knife. The employees helping with any task were personally trained by them. So to say those knives aren’t “custom” is just silly. All those makers I mentioned are considered custom makers, all had employees working in their shop. And they probably still have/had a waiting list. JMO

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 11:51 pm
tongueriver wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:43 pm I once saw a Randall offered for sale in the Exchange of another forum under the category "custom knives," and a moderator got all over him for it, as Randalls are "not custom knives." I happen to know that every knife from Randall made is completely made by hand. All of the knives except a few of the smallest are hand-forged. It takes a six year wait to get one. So, what is a custom? Ruanas are made by two brothers. Custom? Do any of the "custom" makers have help? What about 5 people in a shop? Custom? I smell an anal moderator here, but that forum is known for it.
One guy working by himself can only make a limited number of knives. That’s how they started, but any who have a modicum of success will have more demand than one person working alone can support. Apparently that’s the moderator’s definition of ”custom” but many successful custom makers I know of (G.W. Stone, Barry Dawson, Tony Bose) have (or had), a few employees assisting with some of the processes. Read the stories in Knife Magazine featuring the work of custom makers and you routinely see them crediting someone, be it a son, wife, or hired employees, instrumental in their knife production. But the design, finishing, tempering, and other critical process elements are done (or closely overseen), by the maker whose name is on the knife. The employees helping with any task were personally trained by them. So to say those knives aren’t “custom” is just silly. All those makers I mentioned are considered custom makers, all had employees working in their shop. And they probably still have/had a waiting list. JMO

Ken
I agree.
eveled

Post by eveled »

1967redrider wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 11:16 pm If you want a Randall, it's easier to find one that's being sold than waiting in my opinion. It is usually slightly cheaper to order one, but I don't think I would have the patience.
Both routes have merit. Instant gratification from a dealer. Some even charge list price with no markup. Only downside if you buy from their stock is you don’t get to pick your options.

If you can plan ahead and are patient ordering from the factory let’s you pick your options and will save you money. I ordered my 50th Birthday present when I was 44. When my son was 14 he ordered his high school graduation knife. It came in about 6 months ago and he just opened it yesterday. Each time my $50 deposit saved me about $100.

There is something to be said about anticipation. Looking forward to something at a specific milestone, made the events that much sweeter.

My sons new Randall
B8E81964-6D2E-4EF5-9123-E5D21F0D6AFB.jpeg
ABA3BE5E-45B5-4D71-B6B5-0024CF7D32E6.jpeg
eveled

Post by eveled »

This is the knife I’m ordering for my retirement. On my 60th birthday I’ll order it and it will arrive on my 65th.
86BCC023-9389-42C3-BC72-1CEBFCD72775.jpeg
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Very true, Eveled; good points made. However priorities change from 44 years old to 74 years old. :)
eveled

Post by eveled »

I hear you brother.

None of us are guaranteed tomorrow. No matter how old you are you might die tomorrow or live to a hundred.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

tongueriver wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:06 am Very true, Eveled; good points made. However priorities change from 44 years old to 74 years old. :)
Ain't that God's own truth.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

I ordered a Randall back in the 90"s and waited about 2 years if my memory is correct. Worth the wait , but now days I don't even buy green banana's! I'm 78. If your my age I would buy one from a dealer. LOL ::tu:: Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
texastom

Post by texastom »

My first couple were about two year waits also. It was fun knowing I had them coming, but I don't think 6 years would be fun at all.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

eveled wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:59 am
Both routes have merit. Instant gratification from a dealer. Some even charge list price with no markup. Only downside if you buy from their stock is you don’t get to pick your options.

If you can plan ahead and are patient ordering from the factory let’s you pick your options and will save you money. I ordered my 50th Birthday present when I was 44. When my son was 14 he ordered his high school graduation knife. It came in about 6 months ago and he just opened it yesterday. Each time my $50 deposit saved me about $100.

There is something to be said about anticipation. Looking forward to something at a specific milestone, made the events that much sweeter.

My sons new Randall
B8E81964-6D2E-4EF5-9123-E5D21F0D6AFB.jpegABA3BE5E-45B5-4D71-B6B5-0024CF7D32E6.jpeg

Just seeing this reply, that's a gorgeous fixed blade. ::handshake::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
eveled

Post by eveled »

Thank you, he is very happy with it.

Now my youngest is agonizing over what he is going to order. Kind of fun.

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”