Estate sale find today...........

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
knife7knut

Estate sale find today...........

Post by knife7knut »

While my wife was visiting the dentist(aka the,"mouth butcher")I saw a sign advertising an estate sale from 10am to 4pm nearby. As it was after three I hustled on over to see what I could find. The house was in a new development so I wasn't expecting much.
Walked into the garage to tables full of jewelry cases and spotted a couple of bayonets on the end of one table.They appeared to be K98 Mauser models which I wasn't really interested in(at least not for the prices marked on them)and next to them was a WWII German helmet covered with rust and a hundred dollar price tag.Next to it was a couple of sheath knives;one a 1950's era German model I didn't recognize and my score. Marked $50 they offered it to me for $40 which I promptly took.
Got it home and started cleaning off the verdigris from the sheath button and the guard and scrubbed a small amount of rust from the tang and hit it with some Mother's Mag Wheel Polish.Came out really decent.
What I love most of all is the inscription carved into the sheath:""PRESENTED TO E.GRUNEWALD BY TROOP 106" and it's dated,"1939" In much smaller letters are carved the initials,"E.D." which I assume is the person who did the carving. I thought at first the letters had been individually stamped but looking at them under a loupe you can see they were cut in by hand.
Will have to check the local obituaries to see if Mr. Grunwald was the owner of the home where the sale was held.All in all I think I did good as I didn't have a standard civilian issue RH-36 except for a customized model
Attachments
RemingtonRH-36$40 001.jpg
RemingtonRH-36$40 002.jpg
RemingtonRH-36$40 004.jpg
RemingtonRH-36$40 005.jpg
RemingtonRH-36$40 006.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Estate sale find today...........

Post by doglegg »

Wow what a great find and it tells part of it's story. Excellent. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::tu::
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

👍😎👍
John 👊
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Great find, Ray! ::tu:: ::tu:: There's a lot of shine on that fixed blade. ::nod::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

Awesome find !

Mike
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Wow! That’s a great deal!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
johnburrell

Post by johnburrell »

Super nice find. If only that old knife could talk.

Regards, John
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I wonder if he received that when he received his Eagle Scout award? My local scout troop gave Case BSA knives to Eagle Scouts.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

cody6268 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:30 pm I wonder if he received that when he received his Eagle Scout award? My local scout troop gave Case BSA knives to Eagle Scouts.
I'm currently researching Troop 106 which is based in Grand Blanc Michigan.Have sent them a message requesting any info on the person whose name appears on the sheath. Hopefully I will get a response.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Wonderful knife, Ray. I assume that most folk know that most of those Remington fixed blades had left-hand sheaths.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

tongueriver wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:38 am Wonderful knife, Ray. I assume that most folk know that most of those Remington fixed blades had left-hand sheaths.
I seem to recall the reason being was so that one could carry a pistol on the right, and have their knife at the left as a backup weapon, correct?

And while I'm left-handed, most of my knives are carried RH for this very reason. That way, if my dominant hand is somehow unable to access my knife, I always have the knife clipped to my RH pocket, or the sheath knife. And the fact that while Ontario produces a LH "Kabar" sheath, I rarely find them.
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

cody6268 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:09 am ...snip....

That way, if my dominant hand is somehow unable to access my knife, I always have the knife clipped to my RH pocket, or the sheath knife. And the fact that while Ontario produces a LH "Kabar" sheath, I rarely find them.
Cody, that's the reason I carry paired fixed - rapid access with either hand.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Great knife and sheath, Ray. I hope you get a response.
Joe
PigStikr

Post by PigStikr »

Good find & a good price....I grew up just west of Grand Blanc 1/2 south of Grand Blanc Rd.....I also have a neighbor that is 87 that grew up on a dairy farm in Grand Blanc if I see him I'll show that to him see if he can recall this person...
Never Doubt Your Dawg

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”