Crown Cutlery Co. Austria

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I don't know much about this knife but I thought it was pretty cool. LG4 says that Crown Cutlery Company was located in New York and imported knives from Germany and Austria circa 1910s-1920s, they were a wholesaler/importer.

John: Goins gives the name as CROWN CUT. CO. AUSTRIA and guesstimates the date to be 1900 to 1915.
That's the only Crown name Goins list as being from Austria.

I'm not exactly sure what you would call this and has a nice guard with Quillian and and edge on the blades spine extending about 1/2" up the spine from the point and the spine thickens very quickly after that till about 3/16" thickness which would make it very strong and stout as a stabbing weapon, much like the Quillian dagger out of the medieval days. It was used in the left-hand wall the sword was in the right hand. These sharp but stout point made it an excellent companion weapon to the sword. While the other guy is concentrating on your sword you are also fighting with your dagger and it's an excellent weapon to penetrate his armor when you find an opening. At least that's the theory and personally I would rather know it as a theory than as a practiced skill!

That's what I can find and speculate about this particular knife.
If anyone knows anything about the company, or these type of knife I would appreciate learning from you. Even if you don't know for sure I would welcome an educated speculation!

Thanks in advance for your assistance! ::tu::
I hope Ray has at least two or three in his collection, and will share his pictures with us!
Thank you Ray and everyone else who shares! ::nod:: ::nod::
Attachments
Crown Cutlery Co Austria a.jpg
Crown Cutlery Co Austria b.jpg
Crown Cutlery Co Austria c.jpg
Crown Cutlery Co Austria d.jpg
Crown Cutlery Co Austria e.jpg
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
kootenay joe

Re: Crown Cutlery Co. Austria

Post by kootenay joe »

That is a very fine knife & sheath. I have never seen one before but in LG4, pg. 467 he shows German "Export Daggers" and the top one looks much like yours except handle is Stag. Handle on yours reminds me of the wood used by Mora in Sweden. The idea behind "Export Daggers" is to quickly dispatch downed but not dead, game. There is also the longer German Hunting sword.
I like yours with wood better than the one shown in LG4 with Stag. Now i am on the look out for one of these.
kj
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Thanks KJ, It does seem to show German influence on the design.
Thanks for sharing, I never heard of an export dagger before, but it makes sense. It could certainly dispatch something rather quickly!

Thanks again for the info! ::tu::

BTW, that handle is very comfortable.. ::nod::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Thanks for the vote of confidence Dale! I'm not sure they have a specific name of the pattern;I would refer to them as a "side knife" for want of a better term.
As a matter of fact I have a few of this style of knife;both single edge as pictured and double edged. They seem to be mostly from Austria and Germany and probably the most famous of them(at least in knife circles anyway)is the,"Korium" knives of the 1950's that were advertised in the back of,"men's" magazines. Who can forget the infamous dagger with the figure of a nude woman for a handle? The one I have has had the quillons removed at some point in time;probably to facilitate it's use as a concealed knife in the boot or somewhere else. I also have a bone handled model made by Westphal of Austria.
In double edged livery I have one by Svoboda,a deer foot model made in France,and a larger model by Hubertus that is an actual hunting dagger. Enjoy my friend!
Attachments
KoriumPICSingleEdgeDaggerBall&ClawPommel5inch.JPG
KoriumPICSingleEdgeDaggerNudeHandle.JPG
F.WestphalAustriaDagger.JPG
SvobodaDagger2019-3.JPG
FrenchDeerFootDagger1.jpg
HubertusHuntingDagger.JPG
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”