Help needed to try and ID this old knife

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
Peanut812

Help needed to try and ID this old knife

Post by Peanut812 »

This knife belonged to my father and I think I remember it in his possession at least 60 years. Any help identifying it would sure be appreciated. As seen in the pictures it is embossed with a hound chasing a stag on on side and what looks like the word Mexico on the other. If it helps he owned this while we lived in NJ. Sorry for the poor pictures all I have is a cheap cell phone. Thanks in advance, Roger
Attachments
k1.jpg
k12.jpg
k11.jpg
k10.jpg
k3.jpg
k4.jpg
k5.jpg
When arguing with someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away and you've got their shoes :shock:
knife7knut

Re: Help needed to try and ID this old knife

Post by knife7knut »

Welcome to the forums! You posted some really nice pictures which go a long way to helping identify a knife.One thing that really helps is posing the knife next to a ruler or some other measuring device to determine size.Your knife is what is commonly known as a Mexican tourist knife made to sell to tourists in the 1950's or thereabouts.They come in all sizes(I have several)and the etches are varied.Yours looks to be of pretty decent quality although I don't know how the edge would stand up in usage.They were mostly for decoration only. The handles appear to be made of horn(probably cow horn)and the brass eagle head is a bit unusual as they were normally aluminum like the rest of the handle.If it were mine I would give the blade a light coat of metal polish and mount it inside a glass faced case to display. Thanks for posting it.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Ray is correct, Mexican "bowie" knife. I bought one brand new in Oaxaca in 1963, and they made them the same through the 70s and probably still do.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Nice bowie P812, ::tu:: and the 2 guys that replied know their stuff! 8)
8)

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”